Status: Always updating!

Stay Gold

Six

School is back in session, which meant I had to act normal, like nothing was bothering me. Because if I didn’t, it would cause suspicion about Daddy and me and then I’d get punished.

The final bell rang, school was out for the day. I made my way out the door, and to the bus stop.

“Elaine,” someone spoke up behind me, “Wait up!”

It was Steven, my ‘secret admirer’. I looked at the ground, refusing to make eye contact with him, “What do you want? My father will throw a fit if he sees me and you talkin’.”

“I can’t even stop and say hi?” he said, frowning.

I laughed a little bit, glancing at him, then looking down, “Well, say hi, then.”

I had to admit, Steven was nice, friendly, but not my kind of man. I wasn’t sure if I had a type or not, but it certainly wasn’t him. I mean, I take a liking to him, but not in the way he thinks.

“Hi,” he smiled, “See, that wasn’t bad.”

I looked up at him, “Not yet, at least. What do you want, anyways?”

That probably came out very rude-sounding. But, at that point, I didn’t really care. I just wanted to get rid of him. There we go again, with sounding rude.

“I was thinking, you and I going to the drive-in this weekend?”, Steven said, being hopeful.

I looked at him, and started shaking my head, “Listen, Steven, you’re a fantastic person, but I’m not interested in looking for someone right now... I can’t, I just can’t.”

His smile dropped, his shoulders and head dropped, “Oh, I see...”, he paused, “I was just trying to be nice. It didn’t have to be a date, just friends.”

I sighed, “I know, just... I’m not lookin’ for trouble. You’re a nice person, please understand. It’s not you, it’s me.”

The little hope that Steven had, was diminished, “Sorry for bothering you, Elaine,” he said before turning around and walking away.

Guilt hit me, I couldn’t take feeling worse than I already felt, “Wait, Steven!” I shouted and ran after to him, “I’ll tell you what... if I can get out during the weekend, we’ll go to the dive-in, as friends,” I emphasized.

That little piece of his hope poked through again and he smiled slightly, “Really?” His whole face lit up.

I half-smiled, “Really.”

“Wow,” Steven began, “That’s great! I’ll see you then.”

I got on the bus, sat on my usual window seat in the back like I always did. It was a beautiful day out, sunny, warm, perfect. Too bad I won’t be enjoying it. I’d be stuck in the house cleaning all day, whilst Daddy binge drinks.

The 10-minute bus ride went quick. Before I knew it, I was home.

“Daddy, I’m back!” I said.


No response at first.

“You here?” I called out again.

I hear a loud groan, “God dammit, Elaine! What did I tell you about shouting in the house?!” Daddy snapped.

“Here comes the punishment,” I thought. I was surprised though, he just stayed in his chair.

He finished off the beer on the coffee table, “Beer me,” he drunkenly mumbled.

I must of been feeling pretty ballsy that day because of what I was about to do.

“No,” I said bluntly, “It’s not even 5‘oclock and you’re already drunk. I’m not having that today.”

Daddy glared at me, “What the fuck did you just say to me, little girl?” He got up, and came toward me.

I backed my way into the corner.

“I don’t think you realize who I am...” He came closer.

I continued backing up, well-knowing what was about to happen.

“You will NOT talk to me like that, you hear me? You WILL respect me,” He mumbled angrily.

“Daddy, no-!” I tried screaming.

Smack. I was on the ground.

“You do not talk to me like that, you got that?!”

Kick.

“Daddy, please stop, you’re hurting me!” I cried out, but he didn’t listen. He didn’t listen at all.

“You ungrateful, little bitch!” He grabbed me by my hair, and hit me, and kept hitting me.

Something came over me, I don’t know what. I grabbed the glass on the table next to me, and I hit Daddy with it over and over. He fell to the ground.

“Don’t you ever touch me again!” I screamed and threw the glass at him.

As he struggled to get up, I made a run for the door. He grabbed me, trying to pull me away from the door. I came to a conclusion, if I were to stay in this house any longer, I would die. There’s no doubt about it. However, I wasn’t going to go down without a fight. I punched daddy, and I kept punching and punching him, until he fell to the ground.

“If you ever touch me again, I’ll kill you, I’ll fucking kill you! You hear me? Don’t you EVER touch me again!” I was crying, I was bleeding.

I grabbed my purse and ran out the door. I was even more surprised that Daddy wasn’t chasing after me. I kept running, and ran the four miles it took to get to the bus station. People stared at me. I guess it wasn’t common to see a bloody, running 16-year-old looking to flee the city. I was panicking for the first time in my life. I had no idea what I was doing, or where I was going to go. I just wanted out.

I walked to the information desk, “I need out,” I said, panicked.

The man at the desk just stared at me, looking worried, “You look like you need a doctor, I’ll take you if you want. Right this way, miss-”

“No, no, no! I don’t need no damn doctor, I need the next bus to somewhere far away.” I slammed my hands on the desk.

“You really ought to see a doctor, you’re bleeding pretty bad...”

I grabbed the man by his shirt, “Sir, you don’t seem to understand. I need to get out of Texas. My life is on the line, and I’ll be goddamned if I’m left for dead here. Do your job and get me on a bus out of here!”

I was done with being polite. I needed out, and I needed out now.

He was shaking, “Right away, miss.”

He looked through lists of busses that were leaving. They didn’t look so great though.

“Miss, the only bus here right now, is going to Tulsa, Oklahoma. Is that fine?” He asked.

I looked at him, “It’ll have to do.”

He handed me the ticket, and I sprinted to the bus. My gateway to freedom, in the palm of my hands. I stared at the little ticket in awe. No more pain, no more. I was tearing up. I had never been so happy in my life. The tears stung the still-bleeding cuts on my face. I didn’t care, though. I was finally leaving Texas. In about four and a half hours, I’d be starting a new life in Oklahoma, and I absolutely couldn’t wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this makes up for chapter five.

Comment/subscribe/recommend/leave advice.

Enjoy! c:

Onto the next one.