Fighting With the Wind

Basics

Let's start with the basics, shall we?

My name is Danielle, and I'm 16 years young. The thought that I'm going to be 17 in only three months both scares and excites me. Excites me because then there's only one more year left where I can legally do what I want, including getting out of this stupid divorce visitation right thing between my parents; but scared at the same time, because quite honestly, I don't think I'm going to make it in the real world alone.

And that's why I have my twin sister Gabbie and my best friend Cheyenne. All three of us have been through hell and back together. I wouldn't trade our friendships together for the world.

I met Cheyenne in sixth grade when I had this very rare outburst of feeling like I just want to communicate with everyone. I think it was mostly because it was the first year of middle school, and a brand new, different school to attend with a ton of new, different people to meet. I knew by all means, I didn't want elementary school to be anything like middle school. I was painfully shy and awkward; the whole reason I didn't have a single friend, except one, and her name was Danielle. We met in the third grade because our names were alike. Ha, remember how easy it was to make friends back then? But even then, we barely talked to each other.

Any who, we were in science, Cheyenne and I, and she was sitting next to me; the teacher was explaining something, and I felt the need to comment on it, so I spoke softly to the people around me and then bam, that's how our friendship developed.

That was quite a year shall I say. It's almost overwhelming just thinking about it. It wasn't the worst year ever, nor the best. Let's just say, if I had the chance to go back to sixth grade and relive it, I wouldn't do it.

Now, Gabbie is not only my twin sister but my other half, my best friend, my partner in crime. I love her to death. She's the more serious one out of the two of us, which can be a good thing. When my parents tell us stories about how we were when we were little, they both agree we were inseparable. I consider myself lucky when I hear that, not all twins have the relationship we have. I adore it. But just because we are so close, it doesn't mean we didn't go through a period where we hated each other. I remember quite vaguely when we did hate each. We never got along, I couldn't stand her, she couldn't stand me, and I was her personal punching bag. It doesn't sound so bad, but when you add all your siblings making you their own personal punching bag, and kids in school being jerks, it's not bad anymore. It's horrible.

Those were the days.