For Lucy

Time to figure it out.

'Lucy, you haven't forgotten you have to be in Chicago at the weekend have you, for the cake?' 'seriously, I arranged with John, fine I'll ring him?' 'sorry, Gu' 'it's fine' 'Kenny has the weekend off, why don't you take John with you?' 'might be an idea, give me five minutes'.

'John' 'hey babe' 'I'm really sorry but I have to cancel Friday night, I have to drive this cake to Chicago, and it's kinda crazy, but I was wondering if you wanna drive with me, I mean I own Wildflowers, we'd be fine, I'll bring you bring records' he grinned, 'a drive to Chicago, for a weekend with you?' 'ahha' 'I'll be there, what time?' 'I have to leave around 5pm, find a cheap hotel' 'excellent, I'll see you then at the bakery'.

-x-

Lucy waited for him, the cake secure in the back of the car, 'we can not crash or be bumped, this is a huge deal, it includes baseball teams, we may have to watch the Whitesox' 'I was a baseball player, I am fine with that' 'well, I hope it's entertaining, I'm no expert' 'it will be I promise' putting Wildflowers on, they started making the journey out of state, she sang along with him, laughing on the route, he grinned, 'you're great company Lucy' 'call me Gu, everyone else does' 'why?' 'I still don't have any idea' they giggled.

'You don't mind Death Cab?' 'no course not, go for it' right now, if he liked it, she liked it, which was wrong, but it felt right, and actually as it played it grew on her, especially transatlanticism which he said was his favourite on the album, she tapped her fingers to the tune, he smiled, 'you like?' 'I'm no expert, but I do, it's growing on me' 'good, if you like my music, you'll like this' 'I do, though Black & White is still my favourite' 'it's such a girly album' 'well, to be honest, My Heroine lowers my self esteem' 'it shouldn't sweetheart' kissing her cheek.

Driving until midnight they were in a place in Oklahoma, 'you know this is a really long journey' 'I know, but it has to be done, and we're going to fly a bit, my family are in the air force, I made some calls' 'you know everybody-' 'I know a few good men' he laughed, 'I hope I'm one of them' 'I think you count' she grinned, 'wanna share the bed, it's cheaper' 'thanks' he laughed, 'sure' like he wasn't going to take that chance, he wrapped his arm round her waist, in bed, Lucy falling asleep on his chest.

--

The drive to the base didn't take long, and the Argassi was waiting the car driven on, she bit her nails worried the car would mess up, and the cake would be destroyed, but it was fine, she sighed with relief, 'how about getting back?' 'we've sorted it, just go back to the base' 'thanks' getting on, he strapped in, 'I've never done this before' she took his hand with a grin, 'neither have I' he grinned squeezing her hand gently, she did the same back.

Arriving in Chicago they checked in to the hotel the baseball team had booked, 'John, if you wait here, I have to drop this baby off' he laughed, 'sure, want a drink waiting?' 'my usual' he smiled, 'sure' getting her a glass of white wine, and waited for her to come back, the cake was shaped like a baseball, with the logo on, it was one of the best things she'd attempted, 'it's astounding' she grinned, getting the cheque, 'see you tomorrow at the game'.

She got back, and sipped her drink, 'they loved it!' John hugged her, 'I'm so glad it's not your responsibility, you were so nervous' 'you can do the driving' he laughed, fine with me, you have to listen to my music' 'doesn't seem so bad, rules of shotgun' they laughed, heading for bed, 'when's the game?' '10 for 10:30' he nodded, 'I'm looking forward to this'.

-x-

'We're not in the nosebleeds baby!' 'oh, you liked Arkells then?' she laughed, 'they were great on that tour, amazing album' she grinned, sitting down, a few rows from the field, 'they had such a good set' 'what would you pick for ours' 'the way we talk, right girl, a few others, what are your favourites?' talking for a bit, John explained some of the rules, Lucy getting into it, as much as John, the break came far too quickly, John getting them beers.

The cake was cut, to a cheer, as she sipped her drink, and was asked to join the people on the field, John was jealous, as they had a picture with the team, she came back, the kiss cam beginning, the camera hit them, John grinned, and kissed her softly on the lips, 'that made my day' she smiled, 'mutual' 'thanks for inviting me' 'glad I did'.

John fell asleep happy, knowing she was perfect, she had to learn about him, but then so did he about her, she was kind of awesome, and very accepting, she was also happy with him, and that made him happy too, heading home was so bittersweet, after being with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
the second chapter, which I can say makes no bloody sense.