Don't Dream It's Over

II

"Jimmy, you can't go," she had tears in her eyes, wiping her nose on her sleeve. Her long burgundy hair whipped around her face as she wrapped her arms around herself. "What about me? The baby?"

"I have to, Lillian. There's fewer of us by the minute. If I don't go, who will?"

"Will you come back to me? To Keira?"

He scooped her up in his arms, planting a soft, gentle kiss to her temple. "I promise."

I fell back on my hands, looking curiously at the body that now lay at my feet. His brains were oozing out of his skull and his blood was painting the floor. I'm not proud of what I do, but it stills the decaying process a bit. My tattered jeans were now stained with red and my dirty fingernails held bits of hair and skin behind them.

I looked back to the body, almost grimacing as I recalled the memory that just plagued my mind.

Poor guy.

Gotta eat to survive, though, I guess. Some of the others were beginning to make their way over to me, noticing the fresh body. I picked myself up and let them have at it. I didn't need it anymore.

I wandered outside, shuffling down the sidewalk. I don't know where I'm headed but I'll figure it out when I get there.

The wall was becoming clearer in my line of vision as I walked, and something in my brain told me to turn back, but my legs wouldn't let me. We knew we weren't welcomed with their kind. That's why they put up the wall; too keep us out. I kept to my path. I was always way too curious for my own good.

Maybe, that's how I ended up like this.

"Lauren, wait up!"

I froze, turning my head at the source of the noise. There were people coming my way; Two, maybe three. They were dressed in dark clothing with hats that covered most of their faces. They made their way into the clearing, armed with automatic rifles and single-shot pistols. These clearly weren't the usual type of people who venture into our part of the city. If they were, they'd be armed to the teeth.

"Lauren," the boy called, grabbing her arm. "I said wait up. We didn't come out here to get killed."

The girl sighed, "I know what I'm doing, Perry."

"You should listen to Perry, Lauren. My dad wouldn't be happy if he knew we were out here." The second girl piped up, joining the other two in the clearing. "We really need to be careful."

The boy, Perry, nodded at the blonde girl, wrapping a protective arm around her shoulder. "Julie and I will check this bunker here," He pointed to an abandoned house behind him, "We'll gather what little we can and meet you back here."

Lauren gave a curt nod, "And, I'll check this pawn shop. See if they have any supplies that haven't been looted."

Perry and Julie took off towards the house. Julie made her way inside and called for Perry, letting him know it was clear. Perry stepped inside and made to shut the door before calling out to Lauren. "Ten minutes! Whether you find anything or not, you meet us right here in ten minutes."

I watched the one called Lauren jog across the street. Her long brown hair bounced against her back as she moved, coming to an end just a few inches below her shoulders. She peeked her head in after opening the door and slipped in, shutting the door behind her.

Lauren. Lauren. Why is that name so familiar?

I walked at a quick pace, to the best of my ability, and, after what seemed like minutes, finally reached the door. I could see her rummaging through boxes and shelves through the glass. I couldn't see her face, though. Such an intriguing little creature, this Lauren.

I needed to get a better look at her. Slowly, I reached out toward the door handle.

Please, don't make a sound. Please, don't make a sound.

When I had the door open a few inches, I was confident it wouldn't disturb her, and pulled it open the rest of the way, stepping inside a bit. I took my hand off of the glass and let the door close on it's own.

Slam

Lauren's head jerked up, spinning around on her feet to look at me. Her eyes grew wide and she fumbled her hands around behind her back to grab her pistol. Once she had it, she pointed it straight at me, aiming right between my eyes.

Oh, shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?