Don't Dream It's Over

III

What can I do?

I'm going to die. Again.

I kept still, keeping my legs immobile and trying my best not to stumble forward. The need to move was intensifying as I could feel the muscles in my legs itching to make a motion; The rot was bothering me. I didn't bother breaking gaze with the girl. She had a gun pointed at me. So, I did the only thing I could think of - I put my hands in the air as if I were a common criminal begging not to be accosted.

The girl moved toward me, keeping the gun aimed at my head. I heard the click of the safety trigger; She was going to shoot me.

I shook my head quickly. Well, as quickly as I could manage. "D... Do... " It was so hard for my lips to form simple words. Words I knew. "D... "

Lauren froze, lowering the gun a little. Her eyes widened. "What did you just say?"

"D... " I tried again, hoping my tongue would cooperate with me. "Don-n... Don't."

"Don't?" Lauren questioned, stepping an inch closer. She kept the gun pointed on me. "Did you just speak? Say something else. Anything."

I brought my hand to my throat, trying to rack my brain for another word. Why was this so damn hard? "S-Sh... Sho." I ran my tongue over my teeth. "S-Shoe."

"What," Lauren shook her head, easing her aim downward. "What are you? I mean, obviously, you're, well, dead, but you can't talk! It's impossible."

I shook my head, again. "Shoe."

Her brown eyes widened as she pushed her dark hair over her shoulder. She holstered her weapon and backed up against the wall. "You're not going to kill me, are you? This isn't some kind of ploy, is it? There's not five more of you out there, waiting to eat me?"

I shook my head for the third time, ignoring my impulse to overpower her and munch on the gooey innards of her skull. It was tempting. I won't lie. But, there's just something about her... She seems so helpless. Ha. Helpless? How ironic.

"What's your deal?"

"D-Don't."

"Huh," Lauren mused. She seemed kind of intrigued by me, at least. "What's your name?"

I pointed to myself, arching my eyebrows questioningly. She nodded. "Rrr."

"R? What kind of a name is that? Does it stand for something?"

I shrugged. It used to have a few more letters after it, but nowadays I can't really recall what they were. R is the only letter I remember.

"R," She nodded, "Well, I need to get back to my group. So, I'll just... I'll be going now."

She began walking toward me, going for the door. I didn't want her to leave so I did the only plausible thing; I grabbed her.

"Let me go!" She shouted. The fear was laced heavily on her words. I didn't mean to scare her. "Stop it!"

"Lauren?!"

I looked out the glass window, noticing that her two friends were rushing across the street. They must have heard her shouting. Goddamn it.

Lauren struggled in my grip, trying to break loose. I wasn't trying to hurt her. I wanted to let go, honest. But, when you're dead, your muscles like to set and the rigor mortis makes it hard for you to move your fingers and limbs freely.

I shook my head, begging her not to worry. "Don't."

"Lauren," the blonde girl opened the door, stopping when she saw the scene. She quickly pulled out her gun and aimed for my chest.

Oh, goody. I'm going to get shot. I have another gun pointed at me.