Status: Don't expect a resolution; it's not going to happen.

Cheat

IT'S A BAD RELIGION

“Sam is taking Claire on a date,” Reed tells me on night on the phone. That thin red string tugs at me, threatening to pull me off my bed and onto the floor.

“Oh?” I ask, pretending to be disinterested. I see Claire and her pointy fox-like face, all dolled up to go out with Sam. I wonder where they’ll go, what she’ll eat in front of him, what jeans he’ll wear.

“She’s kind of nervous and asked if we’d go with,” he says. I scoff involuntarily, smoothly covering it with a fake cough, and agree to go.

On the date, I’m the center of attention, something that usually makes me uncomfortable but in Claire’s presence makes me feel like a celebrity. I want to out shine her, I want her to feel like she’s absolutely nothing compared to me as both Reed and Sam fawn over me. I don’t understand why Sam took her out if he was planning on watching me the whole time, when Claire is right next to him in her bubblegum pink bandage dress, tits all up to her neck, begging to be looked at.

“A funny thing happened to me today,” Claire begins to say, her face a desperate beacon in the social storm around her. No one quite pays attention to her but she keeps talking; Sam is touching her arm but his storm cloud eyes are watching me. Reed’s hand is on my knee, inching upward. I’m in the middle of it all, and in the end Claire is fighting to be better than me and I’m winning. Needless to say, I’m pleased.