Status: Updates Every Three Days

My Medical Romance

Four

It was two hours before my mother finally surrendered the phone to me and when I held it to my ear I could already hear Mikey on the other end.

“Hey, Mikey,” I greeted as casually as I could. Like I hadn’t essentially guilted Frank into tackling somebody into the pool for me and made him walk home alone because I was pretty sure Ray lived in the complete opposite direction.

“Hey, Iris. So my mom just went into some kind of crazy cooking mode after she got off the phone with your mom and now my whole house smells like pasta and apples and I’m a bit confused.”

“Oh. Yeah, it should be fine. Anyway, so how exactly are you going to get back?” I asked, hoping he’d catch on and I wouldn’t have to say anything too revealing with my mother in the next room.

“Gerard’s going to do most of it. We’ll talk about it tomorrow. So, um, you fell in the pool?”

I sighed.

“I was pushed. Sorry I couldn’t walk home with you, but I had to go to the nurse and they called my mom and she drove me home.”

“Oh. Gerard says I should ask you questions to get to know you more.” I could imagine the older Way brother quietly urging Mikey to interact with me more. Maybe he was like me in that we didn’t really talk to people. “What’s your… favorite color?”

“Orange, I guess. How many times have you seen a favorite band live?”

“Three or four. Most of the stuff I get into is older than us, though. Kind of a bummer when you realize that people you look up to are just slowly decaying.”

“Way to make it morbid… I haven’t been to a concert yet. My mom worries about all of the drugs and smoke and how it would set off my asthma.”

“Yeah, it happens. Why’d you say yes to the plan?” He changed topics suddenly, trying to get away from talking about bands and music.

“It sounded like fun,” I replied. And it did. It was something completely mysterious and alien to me, and for the first time in a long time I would be included. “You live down towards the park, right?”

It was the same way that I went, but I was almost positive he lived much closer to the park because he and Gerard would turn a corner at the end of my block and there weren’t any houses until you passed the playground in the park.

“Yeah, the one with the murder victims in the pond. Maybe you should just wait for me and Gerard to walk with you,” Mikey added hurriedly. I was thankful. I’d never been allowed to play at that park because of its reputation, and therefore I didn’t know the area at all.

We kept talking for a few moments longer, but he still had homework and I had to do laundry so we ended the conversation by Gerard finally picking up the line from somewhere else in the Way home and telling us to finish it up because he had to call Frank.