Status: Updates Every Three Days

My Medical Romance

Five

I guess it was a little bit pathetic that I spent the rest of the night trying to figure out if I should try putting on makeup or not and how to do my hair. It was just a friendly conference between high school students. This wasn’t something that could really be swayed by my own appearance, considering I only just became a part of it and they’d been planning it for god knows how long.

This, however, didn’t seem to stop me.

I stayed as unnoticeable as I could all through Thursday and Friday until the last bell had rung and I was walking alongside Mikey past the front of the school. The conversations of the people around us turned their focus to the two of us, then.

“Oh no,” one girl moaned worriedly. “The vampire’s brother got that sick girl- I mean, she’s weird but she doesn’t deserve that.”

“What are they talking about?” I asked, moving closer to Mikey. He laughed a little bit.

“The less intelligent life forms here think Gerard’s a vampire, so they’re terrified of him. Look,” He said and gestured to the group who’d moved to console the worried girl.

“It’s okay, Casey, it’s like the gazelles and the lions and stuff. I mean, now it’s more like bats then lions, but she’s weaker than us so they’re picking her off. There’s nothing we can do.”

“No, no- think about it,” another chimed in. “They’re going to make her a vampire too. Don’t you see how pale she is already? I bet they’ve already started turning her.”

“That’s like, really gross.”

Gerard came running out to the front soon after, Frank and Ray hot on his heels and screaming about croquet. They took off down the road and then around the corner, probably already half way to the Way’s home by the time Mikey and I had reached the first turn.

“Gerard probably cheated again,” Mikey gave in explanation. “He likes to call himself the Master of the Wicket, but really he’s just good at tricking people.”

“Like into thinking that he’s a vampire?”

“One of his more known accomplishments, yeah.”

We walked in silence until he stopped at a set of stairs on the side of a house that went down deep into the ground.

“Gerard’s got the basement to himself. And Iris?”

“Yeah, Mikey?”

“If you keep hanging out with us, you’re going to get a lot of negative attention. I get it if you only really want to see us when we’re outside of school.” With the way he said it, he sounded like he doubted I’d even want to see them then.

“What the hell are you talking about? You four are the coolest people I’ve met all year,” I assured him before starting on the steps. “Now, do I knock, or…?”

“Here,” his mood was much happier now. “He thinks I don’t know where he keeps the key, but…” Mikey trailed off, feeling along under the railing. Key in hand, he opened the door, put the key back and locked it behind us.