Status: Active

Don't Close Your Heart

Love Birds

Image

"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes it all worth living"

--------------------------

Dixie dipped the paint roller into the pink substance again then rolled it onto the other wall that she was starting on. She heard someone walk into the room. She turned around to see her brother in law Grant standing in the doorway.

"How have you been Grant?" she asked.

"I've been fine" he made his way over to her and wrapped her into a hug. "I'm so sorry to hear about Kris, we wanted to go to the funeral but we both couldn't get off work"

"It's fine" said Dixie, she didn't want to come here and talk about Kris. She tried to leave all the memories of him in Ohio but clearly it wasn't working out as she had hoped.

Grant pulled away with a sorrowful look on his face--a look that Dixie was so tired of seeing.

"Uh, I'm going to a club tonight with a few of my friends. I was wondering if you'll be my date?"

Dixie softly smiled. "What about Harlow?"

"Oh, Valerie will stay here and watch her"

"I don't want to put babysitting on Val"

"She doesn't mind. So, are you in? I'm sure you haven't been out in a long time"

"Yeah, it's been a while"

"Great, we'll leave at eight so you'll have enough time to eat and get ready" Grant nervously smiled at Dixie then left the room.

Dixie looked down at her watch--it was 5:30 she had two and a half hours to get ready. She sighed then glanced around the room. She would have to wait until tonight to get it all painted. She'd probably just sleep on the couch and leave Harlow in her play pen for the night until she got the room all painted and started moving everything in. She spent the next hour trying to paint the rest of the room but had a lot more to do. She'd probably have to do another coat of paint on the walls because the white was still visible through the pink. She sighed then put the roller in the tin and put the lid on the paint.

She walked into the kitchen where Valerie was cutting up a tomato. Dixie got the sour cream, shredded cheese, lettuce, and hot sauce out of the fridge.

"Thanks" said Valerie. "I can finish painting your room tonight"

"No, you're already watching Harlow tonight. I don't want to bother you"

"Dixie" Valerie put her hand on the back of her sister's shoulder. "You have had way too much stress lately. I know you don't like asking for help but you need it hun. I will finish your room and watch Harlow tonight. It's not a big deal"

Dixie softly nodded. She was the type of person who hated asking for help, she always had been but like Val said she did need help and a lot of it.

"Maybe the club is hiring"

Valerie softly smiled. Bam had said something a while ago before he went to Finland that he would need to hire a few more waitresses for the club since Missy worked there along with her sister. And now that they were divorced and Missy and Jesica moved to New York he would probably need all the help he could get right now.

"We're really good friends with the owner. He said something about needing a few new waitresses for the summer. Might as well get an application tonight"

"Might as well" replied Dixie.

Grant came back into the kitchen wearing jeans, boots, and a black button up t-shirt.

"We might have to excuse ourselves for a few minutes" said Valerie as she walked over to her husband and softly kissed his lips.

Dixie looked away from the scene--every kiss or hug other people did reminded her of Kris.

"Okay, I'll feed Violet" replied Dixie who was still looking away from the two love birds.

She waited a few mintues and turned around. Grant and Valerie were already heading down the hall into their bedroom. Dixie knew that they probably didn't have very much intimate time together what with Violet and all.

"Where's mommy and daddy going?" asked Violet who was already positioning herself in the chair.

"They went to talk"

"Oh, will you eat with me?"

Dixie smiled. "I sure will. What do you like on your taco?"

"Just meat and cheese please"

Dixie made Violet her taco, she handed it to her along with her juice box. Violet began to eat silently. Dixie was about to make her a taco when Harlow began to cry. She rushed over to the play pen and got the crying Harlow out of it. She rocked her back and forth for a little bit.

"She cries a lot" said Violet when Dixie walked back into the kitchen with Harlow on her hip.

"She's a baby. I bet you cried a lot when you were a baby"

"Yes, mommy said I never shut up"

Dixie smiled then with one hand began to make her a taco. She didn't even sit down because she knew if she did Harlow would start crying again. So, she ate and swayed Harlow at the same time.

"You're a good mommy" said Violet, she was watching Dixie intentally.

"Thank you Violet"

"You know what?"

"What?"

"I'm glad you moved in with us."

"I'm glad I did too Violet"

Dixie looked down at her daughter who's brown eyes were staring up into hers as if to say she was happy for the move as well.