Status: Active

Culture Shock

400 miles

Four hundred miles is a considerable distance. You could walk four hundred miles through hard work. You could drive four hundred miles with considered effort. You could aerially fly four hundred miles at the virtual touch of a button. Relocating your life four hundred miles? Not quite that easy.

Meet the village of Stanville. Population 1,538 – including Mrs. Mae's sixteen cats.

It was the town where everyone knew everyone. In fact, the saying “Stanville is so small that if you don't know what you're dong, someone else does” rings true, and is a common phrase used throughout the citizens of the town.

You could describe Stanville as quaint, respectable, small. All those qualities Stanville possesses. After all, quaint little Stanville had a small-town cliché of it's own: sports.

Stanville's high school boys basketball team was almost always in the news. Three years running, the Golden Eagles brought home state championship trophies. Anyone living in Stanville attended the home games, and if you weren't a basketball fan, you were a volleyball fan. The Lady Eagles had four state championships of their own.

Yes, indeed Stanville was sports obsessed. It's citizens were quiet, respectable, and attended sports events – boys basketball in winter, girls volleyball in fall. The high school students never swore, applied obscene words as graffiti, or did anything cause controversy other than spray painting “Golden Eagles” on the white fences surrounding the town hall – and even then, the town board voted 5-4 in favor of the student's actions, saying they supported school spirit.

All this and more was my hometown of Stanville, and I, Macy Aurat, was leaving it.
♠ ♠ ♠
© silent_chance stories; 2013.

All Rights Reserved.

No part of this story, its characters, or its plot line is allowed to be used in other written productions.