Status: I'm back and editing all the chapters

Breech

False Negative's

After that night at the party I found myself becoming less of a friend to Brennan and more of a booty call. From the outside our friendship looked stronger than ever, but on the inside it was tearing at the seams. I couldn't remember the last time we had an actual conversation. Sure we talked, but most of the talk was about sex. At first being with Brennan physically had made me happy, but now I wanted more, or I at least wanted what I used to have. I wanted to be emotionally close to Brennan, I wanted to be able to talk to him like I used to, but I can't. I wanted to tell him how I felt about him, but I didn't want to make things worse and lose him completely.

During my lack of emotional connection to Brennan, I found myself growing closer to Mary. I told her every thing that was happening. She didn't quite agree with my choices, and at first she tried to sway me. After many failed attempts she gave up on that and decided to just be there for me.

We were at my house one day after school doing homework. Normally Brennan would be here but he had football practice, a event that I was immensely grateful for. Mary and I were being very quiet, focusing on our books when Mary suddenly let out a low moan and rolled onto her back. I looked at her quizzically and she gave me a small smile.

"The cramps are killing me. Do you have any ibuprofen?" she asked and I knew she was talking about her period. I nodded and stood up going over to my desk. As I was removing the ibuprofen's from the box I realized that if Mary was on her period then mine should have already passed because mine was always just over a week before hers. I paused and stared at the box, dazed. I had never been late.

"Alex if you don't have any its fine, you can come sit back down." Mary told me, her voice a little sarcastic.

"No that's not it." My voice shook a little as I turned and walked back over to Mary, handing her the two pills. My expression must have worried her because she just stared at me, the pills still in her hands.

"Whats up?" she asked before putting them in her mouth and taking a swig of water to wash them down.

"I am late." I told her quietly as I counted back the days in my head. I couldn't actually remember having a period since right after Brennan came home.

"Late for what? You told me you didn't have any plans." Mary said irritably.

"No, my period, it is late!" I snapped at her, than instantly regretted it, "Sorry"

Her mouth just hung open for a moment. After staring at me for what felt like forever she finally stood up and grabbed my hand. She pulled me up next to her then grabbed her wallet and keys and started towing me towards my door.

"What are you doing?" I asked her.

"We are going to get you one of those tests." It took me a moment to realize she meant a pregnancy test. I stopped fighting her and let her tow me towards her car.

When we reached the drug store I was determined to get in and out without drawing too much attention to myself. I left Mary in the car and ran inside, snagging the first test I saw. I then proceeded to make my way towards the checkout stand. When I reached the counter I realized it was an old lady at the register, not anyone I knew. She looked at the test, looked at me then let out a disappointed sigh. I gave her a weak smile and paid for the test then ran out without saying anything. Mary pulled out of the parking lot in the direction opposite from my house.

"Where are we going?" I asked her.

"Anywhere but your house, you don't want your parents to see the test do you?" I nodded, she had a point. Mary pulled into McDonald's, I assumed that this was for two reasons, one of them being she always craved McDonald's when she was cycling. I went to the restroom and she too the counter to order. When the deed was done and I had peed on a stick I stayed in the restroom, too nervous to go socialize with people. Plus the smell of McDonald's made me sick. A few moments after I had finished Mary came into the restroom and gave me a reassuring smile. I tried to return her smile, but I am pretty sure I just grimaced at her.

"So if that test is positive what are you going to do?" She asked, eyeing the test sitting on the sink. I bit my lip.

"I am not sure.." I mumbled.

"Well, you have to tell Brennan if it is, I mean he will find out eventually and it is best if he gets it before you pop out a baby in nine months."

"That is, if I decide to have the baby." I told her. She stared at me, her eyes a little cold for the first time since I had known her.

"You can't abort the baby." Her voice was stern, "It is a living thing, even if you can't see it yet." I sighed and really thought about what she said. I realized that Mary was right, I couldn't abort this baby, no matter how scared I was.

"How long has it been?" Mary asked, snagging the test before I could stop her.

"I don't know, five minutes." I looked at the floor.

"Well it is finished." She told me. I looked up at her, waiting for her to tell me.

"It's negative." she sounded surprised and disappointed at the same time.

"Really?" I snagged the test from her and stared at the single blue line. I looked up and smiled at Mary, tears in my eyes. I wasn't sure if the tears were from happiness or if I was actually sad about not becoming a teen mother. It was the strangest thing to me, not knowing how I was feeling.

"Uh, I don't think it is." I told Mary, handing her the test.

"Wha-?" She took it from me and her mouth dropped open as she saw the other blue line. Mary lifted her eyes to me, a shocked expression on her face. She stared at me for a moment then composed herself.

"Ok here is what is going to happen. I am going to go eat my food and you are going to take out your phone and look for a free pregnancy clinic in the area. We are going to get you an appointment as soon as possible and find out if this test is right." She reached out and took my hand and started to pull me towards the door. On our way out she tossed the test into the trash without giving it another look.

I called a clinic right down the road while Mary was eating. They had an opening in half an hour so Mary hurriedly finished her food and we loaded back into her car. We got there a few minutes early so after I checked in I took a seat by Mary. We didn't talk at all. I played with my fingers and Mary picked up a fitness magazine for expecting mothers.

"Alexandria Clair!?" a voice called across the small waiting room. I stood up, lifting my eyes to the middle aged woman that was standing in the door way across from me. She studied me before giving me a welcoming smile. "Follow me." she instructed, turning and walking down a short hallway. She turned into an exam room. I followed and shut the door behind us.

"Alright Alexandria, I am Gretchen."

"Nice to meet you, Gretchen." I mumbled politely.

"So you think you are pregnant?" She asked. I just nodded and stared at my shoes. She seemed to register my current uncomfortable state because the next thing I knew she had set down her clipboard and come to stand in front of me.

"Hey, look up." she told me, it was gentle, but and order all the same. I did just so and was met by a warm pleasant smile.

"Everything is going to be alright, you have nothing to be scared of yet." I just nodded and her smile brightened.

"So first things first, I need you to pee in this cup." She told me handing me a specimen cup. I nodded trying to hide the nervousness that made me almost shake.

Gretchen pointed me to the bathroom and told me to bring the cup back when I was finished. It took me a while before I was finally able to do the deed. I tried not to look at the cup as I brought it back to the room. Gretchen smiled at me brightly and sat me down on the table with the promise that she would be back with the results soon.

"While your waiting, why don't you change into this so you are ready for the pelvic exam." she set a blue gown in my lap and then left the room. I spent no time thinking, and I was changed in record time. I left my shirt on, I just took off my pants and underwear and placed them on the counter, folded neatly.

I sat in that room by myself for almost 10 minutes, staring at the walls that were full of diagrams of the woman body and pregnant girls.

"All set in there" Gretchen called to me.

"Yeah." I called back, sliding back onto the chair but not putting my feet in the stirrups yet. Gretchen returned to the room and fiddled with a computer. She sat down next to me and gave me an encouraging smile.

"Your pregnant." She told me.

"Really?" I asked, tears forming in my eyes. There were those damn tears again, filling my eyes and making my vision go all fuzzy.

"Yep." She looked at me, "So now I have a few questions for you Alexandria." I just nodded not trusting my voice just yet.

"Do you know how far along you are?" I shook my head.

"I can't be anymore than 10 weeks." I told her. Gretchen nodded.

"Now I know this is scary, but have you been screened for STD's? They will happen if you are having unprotected sex with someone that has one."

"I haven't had a screening. I'm almost positive that its impossible. I think.." I was worried now. What if I wasn't the only girl Brennan was sleeping with? I mean its possible, he has no commitment to me so he can do who ever he wants.

A few tears spilled over.

"Not to worry!" Gretchen said rubbing my arm, "I will do a pelvic exam and see how the baby is developing and I will have one of the techs run an STD screening while we are in here." She stood and walked out of the room for a minute then came back in, shutting the door behind her.

She went over the exam process with me while pulling the computer into place and snapping on some gloves.

"Alright I am going to need you to put your feet in the stirrups now." She instructed, positioning herself between my knees.

I tried to think about anything else while she inserted the wand, but I still felt the discomfort she talked about. She screwed up her face looking at the screen then she smiled.

"That little spot right there is your baby." She told me, pointing to the screen. My baby looked a lot like an over sized jelly bean, and for a moment I wondered how qualified this lady was, but then she showed me the heartbeat. All I could think was thats my baby.

"It looks like you are about eight weeks along, and the baby is perfectly healthy." I was relieved at her words. My baby was perfectly healthy.

"Alright, so now is the time for the big discussion. What do you want to do?" I stared at the screen for a few moments longer then I turned to Gretchen.

"I am not going to abort the baby." I told her, I sounded surprisingly strong for the first time.

"I like that idea." Gretchen told me with another of her smiles, "I will get you the number of a few OB's and then I will send you on your way."

"Sounds good." I told her. Gretchen stood to head for the door then paused.

"I almost forgot, would you like a picture?" I hadn't thought of that.

"Yes, please!" I could hear the enthusiasm bursting from my words. Gretchen nodded then left the room. I took the time to quickly get dressed.

Gretchen returned and lead me to the waiting room when we reached the door she handed me A pamphlet with a sticky note stuck to it.

"Your picture is inside the pamphlet. I wish you the best of luck!" She told me before turning and heading back down the hall, probably to clean the room. I entered the waiting area and walked over to Mary.

"So?" she asked, standing up.

"So, I'm pregnant, and I'm keeping my baby."
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated.

Comment|Recommend|Subscribe