Status: I'm back and editing all the chapters

Breech

The Truth

I sat on my bed, my eyes pinched closed as I drew in a deep breath. It had been exactly one week since I found out I was pregnant. That would make me nine weeks along, just over two months. I had plenty of time to tell my parents and Brennan, but I felt as if I needed to get it off of my chest. I didn't want to wait until I could no longer fit in my pants.

"Lex, dinner is ready!" My mother yelled and I let out a sigh and smoothed my skirt down before standing up and exiting my room. I bit my lip as I descended down the stairs. I made my way to the table and sat down in my normal chair. I stared blankly at my plate as my mom asked my dad about his day. My dad trained race horses, he was one of the reasons I used to want to be a jockey. That dream had been crushed when I had grown far larger then my moms tiny 4'10 height. I had instead become one of the best exercise riders around. Every one in town wanted me to breeze their horses for them. I realized now that I would have to put that job on hold because I could not be breezing horses while pregnant. Putting my life in danger to run a horse was one thing, but my baby's life too? No way.

"Alex?" my dad's voice brought me back to the present.

"What? Sorry, zoned out." I mumbled picking up my fork and poking the country potatoes my mom had made.

"Are you not hungry?" My dad asked. I looked up into his caring eyes and my stomach contracted. I didn't know how to tell him this news. He would be so disappointed in me, not to mention it would mean he would learn that his baby girl was no longer innocent.

"I am, it's just.. I have something to tell you guys." I set my fork back down and stared at my untouched plate.

"Ok honey, you know you can tell us anything." My dad said. My mom set down her fork and fixed her eyes on me, chewing slowly.

"Well there is no easy way to say this. I, uh, never mind." I tried to back out last minute. My little brother stared at me like I was crazy as he shoveled food into his face. He was going through that stage every male went through where he ate everything in sight.

"Spit it out Alexandria." My mother said, not unkindly.

"I'm pregnant." I blurted. I blushed deeply before peeking up at my parents. Their faces were identical images of shock. My dads face slowly morphed into one of anger and I suddenly wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Who is the father." my dad asked through clenched teeth.

"I, uh, I haven't told him yet so I don't think I should tell anyone else." I mumbled.

"Who is the damn father Alex?" my dad asked again. I looked at my mom for help but she just gave me a look that said, 'you did this to your self'.

"Brennan." My voice was barely a whisper.

"That rat bastard." My dad yelled slamming his napkin on the table. He pushed himself away from the table and grabbed his coat off the hook. Before anyone could blink he was out the door and a second later he was in his car.

"Crap." I ran out the door after my dad. Lucky me it took his truck a moment to warm up before you could start it.

"Dad, please wait. Let me tell him before you scream at him. I think he deserves that much." I told him through the lowered window.

"He doesn't deserve jack shit, I put my trust into him! I let him sleep over a number of times, and this how he repays me? I ought to.." he let his words trail off as he punched the dash.

"No dad, but please." My voice was pitiful and my dad gave me a hard stare for what felt like forever before his face softened.

"Alright, fine." He muttered before climbing out of his truck. We made our way back into the kitchen. Where my mother and brother still sat.

Every thing was quiet as I forced a few mouthful's of food into my mouth. I let my family digest the information of my pregnancy.

"So, this means I am going to be an uncle?" My brother asked. I opened my mouth to say yes, but my mother beat me.

"That depends on what Lex wants." I could hear the question in her words.

"I want to keep the baby." I piped up. Before forking a green bean into my mouth. My mother's face broke into a huge grin.

"I was hoping you would say that." She told me.

I sighed in relief and finished the rest of my dinner in peace. My dad didn't say much, but I knew that was mostly because he was thinking of what he would say to Brennan. He always planned every word so carefully when giving a lecture. As I helped my mother clean up after dinner she asked.

"So I guess we better get you into the OBGYN to get your first ultrasound." My mother said as she started the dishes.

"I actually already had one. I went to the pregnancy clinic with Mary." I told her.

"What? Really?"

"Yeah I wanted to make sure I was pregnant. So.. yeah." I paused for a moment then asked, "Would you like to see the picture?"

"You have to ask?" she asked and I smiled. I went and got the picture out of my room then returned, holding it out to her.

"It isn't much, mostly just my uterus, but that little jellybean right there is my baby." I told her.

"Ohmigosh." my mother gushed, and let me tell you it was something. My mother never gushed, she never got overly excited about anything.

She smiled at me for a moment then she hugged me. It felt good to be hugged by my mom because I could have sworn my family was going to disown me. She held me tight for a few moments then she released me.

"So how far along are you?" She asked, returning to the dishes.

"Nine weeks."

"Wow seven long months to go." She stated, "I cant wait."

I was happy that my family was on board, now all I had to do was tell Brennan. I had decided that I didn't want to force him to be involved in this child's life. He could be the father if he wanted, or the crazy, non related uncle, or-god forbid- no one at all. I really didn't want to lose him as a friend, but I also didn't want to force anything on him. It was my decision to have this baby, not his. He shouldn't have to suffer for something I had decided to do, even if he had helped to create that something.

---*---


I had made plans to tell Brennan the next day after school I had even made plans with him to go out to the track after school. He loved to watch me ride and he always had. I didn't know what about it was so entertaining to him.

This all sounded perfect to me. I could have a long talk with him about what I planned on doing and I could tell him that he could be as involved as he wanted to me. It was all great until I couldn't leave the bathroom in the morning because every time I moved my morning sickness kicked in and I felt like I was going to hurl again. This felt less like morning sickness and more like the flu. I laid on the tile, pressing my forehead to the cold flooring. I had cold sweat beading on my skin.

My mother returned to the bathroom carrying a bottle of anti nausea medication.

"I called the doctor about these and he said that they should be fine to take, but if you start seeing any symptoms to come in asap." I nodded as she handed me a pill and a glass of water. I sat up to take the pill. After I had forced it down I returned to my original position, groaning a little as I settled back on the floor.

"This is awful." I told my mom.

"I know baby." I could vaguely remember how bad her morning sickness had been. She actually stayed a few nights in the hospital because she threw up everything she ate.

"Can you call Brennan and tell him I wont make it today? Tell him I am sick." My mom nodded before leaving the bathroom.

I would have to find another time to tell Brennan. When I finally made it out of the bathroom I laid in my bed, trying to imagine how Brennan would react and going over different ways to tell him. I wanted so bad for him to accept the baby and want to be there as its father. I think I could live with him being the crazy uncle, but I am pretty sure I would fall to pieces if he decided he wanted nothing to do with my baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated
Comment|Recommend|Subscribe