Secrets & Lies

Chapter 2

With a thud, we landed in a very impressive office. I looked up, trying to figure out where we were, when I saw Dumbledore walking towards me.

Damn’t.

For whatever reason, I had had a small sliver of hope that maybe Sirius was kidding. Maybe, he was just taking me to Italy for my birthday, and he wanted it to be a surprise.

Dear god, was I wrong.

“Miss. Rose, it’s a pleasure to see you, again.”

I smiled, Dumbledore was a good man. As much as I hated some of his decisions, he really did know best.

“As it is for you, Professor.”

Dumbledore looked as if he wanted to smirk, but any traces of it quickly disappeared.

“Now, I know that coming here wasn’t on the top of your list, but I do think that it will work out in your favor, my dear. Even if you do get into some trouble, which I’m sure is bound to happen, I know that you’re here for a reason.”

Sirius coughed, trying to hide a laugh.

I elbowed him in his side.

“Thank you, Professor. I’m sure that I can get used to here, as much as the next person.”

Dumbledore nodded, and then picked up a hat that was sitting on his desk.

“Now, Adelynn, if you please.”

I stepped forward. I wasn’t stupid, I knew how this drill went.

Placing the hat on my head, Dumbledore walked back to stand my Sirius, both regarding me with extreme attention.

It bugged me how the two of them always seemed to know something about me, that I didn’t.

Before I could delve into anymore of my thoughts, the Sorting Hat started to speak.

"Ahhhhhh, Miss. Riddle."

I froze, my entire body going into shock. I looked quickly at Sirius and Dumbledore, but then calmed down when I realized that the voice was in my head.

Oh. Are we a little apprehensive about our heritage, Miss. Riddle?

Shut up.

"Miss. Riddle, your placement amongst the four houses could be guessed without a second chance. However, there are certain qualities in you that could place you with your enemy."

Enemy? I don’t have any enemies. At least, none that I know of.

"Addelyn Rose Riddle, you will go far in either of the houses, but who you are really dictates where you shall be place. Along your journey here, you will undergo more than you could ever imagine. Yet, you will thrive amongst the chaos."

“Better be, SLYTHERIN!”

I jumped as the hat screamed my placement out loud, and I moaned internally. Slytherin. Really?

Looking up, I noticed that both Dumbledore and Sirius had a look of worry in their eyes. Again, I hated the fact that it was like they knew something that I didn’t.

Dumbledore walked forward, and took the hat off of my head, placing it back on the desk.

“Well, Miss. Rose. Your robes will be in the closet to your left, and I shall see you in the Great Hall, shortly.”

He gave Sirius a curt nod, and then walked out of the office.

There seemed to be so much tension in the room, I could barely take it.

“Well? Are you going to say something?” I asked, looking at Sirius.

He let out a sigh, and then walked towards me.

“Addelyn, I love you. I want you to know that, no matter what happens.”

I was confused. What did he mean? Nothing’s going to happen, I’m here. I held up my end of the deal, and now everything should just be normal(ish).

“Sirius, what are you talking about?”

He looked at me with sorrow in his eyes, and I knew something was up.

“Adds, I can’t tell you. But when the time comes, just know that I love you. You have a place in the Order, you’re smart, and I know that you can handle whatever is thrown at you.”

Really? Could we be anymore fucking elusive? Seriously, I was starting to get pissed.

“Sirius. What the hell is going on?”

Instead of answering my question, Sirius brought me into a tight hug.

“You’re nothing like the past, you can change the future,” He whispered into my ear.

What?

I tried to pull out of the hug, but he just kept holding me tighter.

“I love you, Adds.”

Then, with a pop, he disappeared.

My mind was reeling.

Seriously, I hate not knowing anything. Obviously something was going on, and if they thought that they could hide it from me, I’d be damned. I get what I want, and I know how to get it. Nothing was going to stop me, and I was going to find out. But for now, I needed to get down to the Great Hall.

Shaking my head, I made my way to the closet that Dumbledore had told me my robes were in, and quickly pulled out a set. I looked up, in search of a mirror, and walked over to where one was, against a wall.

Stepping out of clothes, I slipped my robes on, and stole a glance at my reflection. I didn’t look impressive. Holding out my hand, my wand flew into my palm, and I quickly said a spell to refresh myself. As a warm, tingly feeling set over me, I smiled.

Looking into my reflection, I was now satisfied. My long, blood red hair fell in loose curls down my back, and my blue eyes were piercing. I had a little bit of eyeliner and mascara on, but that was all I really needed. I knew that I was attractive, I always had been. I’m rather tall, standing at 5’10, and I have a perfect hourglass figure. However, I don’t flaunt it like most girls do.

I sighed, cocking my head to the side. Well, it was now or never. Making sure that I had my wand, I made my way down a winding staircase, and followed Dumbledore’s directions to the Great Hall. When I finally reached the massive double doors, I contemplated running again. It’s not like I was nervous, I just really didn't like people.

I shook my head, rolled my shoulders back, and held my head high.

Addelyn Rose Riddle, nothing will stand in your way.

With that, I pushed the door’s open, and walked inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Once again, a little slow.

But, I promise that it'll pick up, soon!

Meanwhile... How about some comments?
Please?