Status: Inspired by Terra Nova.

New World

Elena Morris

When Elena reached the edge of the compound, ready to head out into the forest once again, she was fully expecting Liam to be there waiting for her. It was the first night in what seemed like forever that he hadn’t been, and she couldn’t help but think that something had gone wrong. He had told her that he would never let her go alone again, so why wasn’t he there now?

She knew he wasn’t on duty and she didn’t think that anything bad had happened to him, because there would certainly be sirens going off, so that only meant one thing, and that one thing infuriated Elena.

With a huff, she turned right back around and away from the fence, heading straight for Liam’s house across the way. She could see already that the lights were on, which would have been a good thing had it not meant that he was either ditching or had forgotten that he was supposed to meet her.

She reached his door and tapped her fist loudly against him, immediately hearing him stirring around. He was at the door in seconds and when he opened it, he looked surprised to see her there.

“Elena, what are you doing here?” He asked, his eyebrows furrowed and head tilted to one side, as if he didn’t already know.

“You were supposed to meet me,” she said, very matter-of-factly. “Where were you?”

Liam sighed, and Elena instantly knew that whatever he was going to say wouldn’t be good. He ran a hand over his shaved head before letting out a small sigh and stepping to the side. “Come in.”

Elena did as he said, stepping around him as he shut the door behind her. It was the first time she had ever been in his house, and for some reason, she hadn’t expected it to be so clean.

A sofa stood in the middle of the room, and Liam moved towards it, sitting on one end while motioning for Elena to sit at the other. He was biting at his lip furiously, and Elena thought she’d never seen him so distraught. It worried her, because it could only mean one thing.

“Elena, I’m sorry,” he said quickly, confirming Elena’s suspicions. “I never should have kissed you. It was inappropriate and –”

“This is about my father, isn’t it?” she interrupted as she folded her hands in her lap. It seemed like everything in her life came down to her father, and she was sure this wasn’t going to be the exception.

Liam cleared his throat, his eyes looking only at the hardwood floor beneath them. He looked disheveled and worried, like he could barely think.

“Well, yes.” He paused, clearing his throat again. This time, he looked up at Elena as he bit his
bottom lip. “It’s inappropriate, Elena. Your father’s my commander. I could never – we could never –”

Elena didn’t need to hear anything else, because she’d heard that little quip a thousand times before. Everything always came down to the fact that she was her father’s daughter. Everything in her life revolved around him and the things that he did, and she was sick of it. She wanted to live a life separate from the one that her father created for her, but every time she even thought she had something all to herself – like her nights in the forest, which had been combined with Liam – that got taken away from her too.

“It’s fine. You don’t need to explain yourself,” Elena said quickly, not wanting to hear any more of his nonsense. For some reason, it only made the situation hurt more. “I’ll see myself out.”

Liam opened his mouth to speak again, but before he could, Elena was already standing up and heading out of his home. He almost moved to stop her, but instead he just let out a sigh, tossing his head in his hands, as she walked right out the door.