Status: Inspired by Terra Nova.

New World

Darcy Willows

Darcy was not looking forward to seeing Harry at work that day. Ever since she had left that pub, she couldn’t stop thinking about him and Becca. She wondered what happened, if he liked her, and whether or not they were going to go on another date. She had so many questions, but she didn’t want to know the answer to a single one of them.

When she walked into the lab, she tried to ignore Harry and headed straight for her microscope, just wanting to look down that tube and forget about the rest of the world. Harry would have none of that, though, and he walked right up to her table, resting his elbow on the corner.

“How was your date with Dave?” he asked as he leaned back, a small smile on his face.

“It was good,” Darcy lied, because it was obvious his date with Becca had gone much better. “Yours.”

“Good too.”

Darcy nodded her head, faking a smile as she turned back to the microscope. She didn’t want to talk about either of their dates anymore, because just thinking about Harry with a girl made her extremely uncomfortable.

She ducked her head down, but before she could press her eye to the piece, Harry’s hand was on her cheek, pulling her gaze back up. She didn’t know what to say or what on earth he was doing, so she just stared at him, blinking wildly. His hand never moved from her face, his thumb just pressing ever so gently against her skin. It made her stomach do flips and she could hardly think.

“Darcy?” he said, more of a question than a statement.

She didn’t know what to do, so she just bit her lip, careful not to move his touch away from her. “Yes?”

He pulled his hand back then, bringing down to his side, and she wished that he hadn’t. His eyes were still on her, though, seemingly frozen in place. With every second that passed, Darcy could feel the tension mounting, and she just knew that this was going to be one of those moments that she couldn’t escape.

“You don’t really like Dave, do you?”

She had no idea why he asked that question or what direction than conversation was heading, but she decided to stay honest, shaking her head.

“No,” she whispered, biting her lip as Harry’s eyes beat down on her. “You don’t really like Becca, do you?”

Harry didn’t even give a second of pause before he shook his head, keeping his eyes locked on hers. For some reason, that took a weight off of Darcy and if he hadn’t been staring at her like that, she would’ve been able to breathe again.

“Harry?”

She didn’t know what she was asking or why his name had even from her lips. She wasn’t sure what she expected to come from it or how he was going to answer. The only thing she did know was that she couldn’t just sit there in silence anymore, because it made her heart race.

Instead of answering in any of the million ways that Darcy never could have guessed, Harry brought his hand back up to her face, running his thumb gently over her cheek. His touch made her hair stand up on end, and when his hand move to the back of her head, running through her hair, she thought she might faint.

He leaned slowly forward, in a moment that felt like it was lasting forever, and all Darcy could do was look at him. He was the only one of them that was moving, and it was only just barely, until his face was close enough to hers that their noses were touching.

Darcy knew then that everything was falling into place, and moving that extra inch so that his lips were pressed against hers was the easiest thing she had ever done.