Status: Inspired by Terra Nova.

New World

Elena Morris

Elena didn’t know why she had agreed to start back up with meeting Liam again, but she assumed it was because, deep down, she still had feelings for him that were hard to ignore. She knew she’d never be able to act on them, so that made seeing him difficult, but she thought it might be better than nothing.

As they walked through the forest, silence between them and heading for Elena’s favorite spot, she couldn’t help but feel a giant weight looming over them, filled with all of the things they had left unsaid. It was hard knowing that yet another thing in her life rested on her father, his feelings, and who he was. She could never be her own person without some aspect of her life being affected by him.

“Elena, hold up,” Liam called, a few paces behind her. “I think I heard something up.”

Elena’s eyes shifted to the trees, whose leaves fluttered gently in the wind, but she heard nothing aside from the slight rustling of a few plants. Liam was a little too tightly wound to be out there and not think that every little noise was something out to get her.

When the noise stopped, Liam stopped looking around and just looked at Elena. “Go ahead, but just stay close to me, yeah?”

Elena nodded her head, because she knew better than to argue with Liam about that. If slowing down her pace a little would keep him from nagging at her, she figured it was the least she could do.

They had just made it to a small opening when Liam reached out for here, grabbing onto her and causing her to come to a full stop. She had a look of confusion on her face, with her eyebrows furrowed and head tilted to one side. She wanted to question exactly what it was he was doing, but before she could, he had his gun out and pointed out into the wilderness.

She didn’t see anything through the thick brush and dimly lit area, but it Liam certainly did, and he had his gun out and at the ready, his finger already on the trigger. It shifted from side to side, as if he was following a target.

Elena only just barely heard the roar as a breed of dinosaur she didn’t recognize came darting through the bushes, headed straight for the two of them. She didn’t even have to time to scream before Liam had pulled the trigger, sending a jolt of electricity straight at the dino. It collapsed to the ground without a word and the only audible sound was the heavy breathing coming from Elena.

Liam turned to her immediately, placing a hand on each of her shoulders and forcing her to look at him. His eyes roved over every inch of her face as she took deep, exasperated breaths.

“Are you all right?” he asked as he locked his eyes with hers, keeping his voice soft and gentle.

All she could do was nod her head, clearly in a state of shock. Liam had seen that look before in many of the soldiers in his company, and ordinarily, he would have just told the men to snap out of it, but Elena was different.

He wrapped his arms around her neck, pulling her as close to his body as he could. Her head fell perfectly against his shoulder, and she was able to nuzzle her face against his neck until it was just the two of them and nothing else.

She never in a million years would have thought that Liam would have been right about her being attacked, but she almost was. If he hadn’t been there, she’d be dead and her father wouldn’t have a clue what had happened to her. She had almost died, but Liam had saved her, and it almost made her certain that she’d never be able to forget about her feelings for him.