Status: Inspired by Terra Nova.

New World

Elena Morris

Ever since Liam had saved her life, Elena couldn’t seem to get the moment out of her head. It was all she thought about when she woke up and it was the last thing through her mind before she fell asleep. She would even dream about it and about Liam coming to her rescue.

It was so strange for Elena to think that anyone outside of her father could ever keep her out of harm’s way, but it seemed like Liam was more than capable of doing that, and that made her head spin. She wondered that, if her father knew what had happened, maybe he wouldn’t think so harshly about her dating. Especially a boy like Liam.

She knew, though, that she could never tell him, because he would kill them both for ever stepping outside of the safety of Atello’s walls. If there was one thing that was true about Colonel Morris, it was that he was extremely protective of his only daughter.

The second they stepped into that forest, Liam knew there was something on Elena’s mind, because she was walking significantly more slowly than usual. He had a good suspicion of what, since she had seemed apprehensive about going back out into the forest, but he wasn’t sure whether or not she wanted to talk about it. He was out there to keep her safe, but he wasn’t sure how good of a job he could do at keeping her safe from her own thoughts.

When they reached the spot where the dinosaur had popped out of the bushes, Elena stopped dead in her tracks. Liam should have thought well enough to go a different way, but for some reason it had slipped his mind completely.

“Is everything alright?” he asked, taking a step forward so he was directly behind her. She could feel his breath landing on the top of her head, and her whole body knew how close he was to her.

She nodded her head, turning back to Liam with a blank expression on his face. He looked so handsome standing there in the moonlight with stubble resting all over his chin. His face showed the concern that he had for her, and it was that look that sent Elena over the edge.

“It’s not fair, Liam,” she nearly shouted, causing a few winged dinosaurs to go soaring through the sky.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion, while he tilted his head to the side. “What’s not fair?”

“You. Me. My father. That I’ll never get a chance to really know who you are simply because I was born into the wrong family,” Elena breathed, all of her thoughts jumbling together at once. “I just want to be able to make a choice for myself without having to worry about what my father will think of it. I want to be able to say ‘Liam, I have feeling for you’ and wonder if it will actually lead to something. I just want, for once, to feel like there’s something in my life that I get to choose, all by myself, but that’ll never happen. Not as long as I’m living here. I’m going to die alone because my father’s too afraid to let me live.”

When Elena finished speaking, she was breathless, her chest heaving up and down to try to catch up with the air she had lost. Her cheeks were pink and her eyes looked like they were about to swell shut, but other than that, her face was blank, just like Liam’s.

They both just simply looked at each other, because now everything was on the table. Liam knew exactly what Elena was thinking, why she was so apprehensive, and the reason he could never seem to really understand her. She had so many things that were bottled up, and they all led to that one person who controlled her life.

It wasn’t that Elena didn’t love her father, because she did; more than anyone, really. She just hated always being under his watchful eye, and Liam finally understood what that meant.

He breathed out deeply, reaching his hand out to cup her face. She shuddered under his touch, her eyes never leaving his, and her lips began to quiver.

In a moment that was all too quick for Elena to understand, Liam leaned forward, pressing his lips to hers in the most gentle kiss she had ever felt. It was short and sweet, but it left her breathless, and when he pulled away her cheeks were even redder than before.

“Elena, I can’t promise you that everything’s going to work out in the end, because I don’t know what your father is going to do or say, but I can promise that you will never, ever be alone.”