Status: Inspired by Terra Nova.

New World

Darcy Willows

Harry was leaning over a microscope, examining the scales of a new dinosaur specimen they’d just found. Darcy was supposed to be doing the same thing with another set of scales, but instead she was just watching Harry. It was often his face got all contorted like that, and it was obvious to Darcy that whatever he was looking at was extremely interesting. But at that moment, Darcy was more interested in him than she was in the scales.

Really, she just wanted to laugh at him, because he just looked so focused that it was almost funny.
Suppressing a chuckle, she turned back to her own scales, which she’d just organized on a set of slides. She slid one into the microscope just as Harry did the same. They’d gotten into their regular work routine, and Darcy hoped she wouldn’t get distracted again just so she’d actually be able to get something done.

A soft knock on the door interrupted them both, and at the same time they popped their heads up from the scopes.

Dave, one of the colony’s young engineers, stood in the doorway, one hand gripped around the frame. His head was just barely poking in, as if he didn’t want to interrupt them, and he smiled.

Darcy knew him, but just barely. She knew that he worked on the fence surrounding the colony and many of the structures within it. She knew that he lived alone, like she and Harry did. She knew a few things, but that was about it.

“Good afternoon,” he said, grinning at them both. “Can I come in?”

They nodded simultaneously and he took a slow step in, not moving much past the doorway. Neither Harry nor Darcy said anything, because they weren’t used to having visitors in the lab that weren’t doing lab work of their own.

“So what brings you to our lab on this fine day?” Harry joked, while spinning his chair back towards his microscope. He didn’t appear to be terribly interested in talking to Dave and was back with his scales before Dave even had a chance to answer.

“I’m here to see Darcy, actually,” he said, taking one more slow step towards her.

That caught Harry’s attention and he whipped his head back around, staring Dave down. Dave didn’t seem to notice and was looking only at Darcy as he smiled.

Darcy’s palms suddenly grew sweaty with nerves, but she attempted to keep her composure as she spoke. “What did you need me for? I’m not going to have to move again, am I?”

Dave chuckled, shaking his head. The last time they had spoken, Dave was kicking her out of her house so he could build a new solar paneling system right where the sun hit. They didn’t talk often, but when they did, one of them was always mentioning it.

While they were talking, Harry seemed honed in on their conversation, waiting for the perfect time to interrupt. His eyes were locked on Dave, while he made fists in his lap, but nobody noticed besides him.

“Actually,” Dave continued, as he ran his hand through his hair. His eyes were suddenly anywhere but Darcy – on the floor, the ceiling, the cabinets. He took a long breath before speaking again. “I was wondering if you were busy tomorrow evening. I thought we could grab dinner at the pub or something.”

Darcy froze for a moment, more shocked than anything else. It felt like it had been forever since someone asked her on a date – if you could call it that – and her heart was racing in her chest. She took a deep breath to gather her thoughts before nodding her head.

“That sounds lovely,” she said, giving him the same bright smile he gave her.

He nodded his head, while his smile deepened. He had the most charming smile, almost like Harry’s and it made Darcy smile even more.

“Perfect,” he said as he shoved his hands in his pockets. “I’ll be at your house at 6, then?”

“That’s perfect.”

They smiled at one another for a brief moment, locking eyes, and it was as if they were the only two people in the room. They didn’t see Harry sitting in the chair beside them, practically fuming, and Darcy didn’t remember he was there until after Dave had left.

“So you’ve got a date, eh?” Harry said through clenched teeth, while he forced himself to look back at the slides in front of him.

Darcy chuckled, her smile widening. “I guess so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh, oh... Darcy is going on a date... With someone other than Harry.
The horror!