Long Live Us

You Make Me Smile

Lisa wasn't happy when she found out that Alex had slept in Jack's room last night. She was jealous of Jack, and she knew it would take a lot to pry Alex from his hands. She mixed a type of toxin into Alex's medicine that morning. It wasn't enough to kill him, but definitely enough to make him very sick. If Alex was sick, Jack would have to stay away from him until he got better. It was the perfect plan.

* * * *

Alex was curled up in Jack's lap wrapped inside a blanket. Jack had gone into the neighbor's old houses and found a crank powered generator, a laptop, and a whole box of movies. He used the generator to charge the laptop so he and Alex could watch movies. They were watching The Notebook and Jack tried not to laugh when he saw tears in Alex's eyes. By the end of the movie, Alex had tears on his face and Jack was giggling as he kissed them away.

"I feel...weird," Alex said, wiping the last of the tears away.

"Because of the movie?" Jack asked.

Alex shook his head and lifted up his shirt.

"My tummy hurts," he whined.

Jack giggled and kissed Alex's stomach. Alex laughed and pushed Jack's head away.

"Stoooopp!" he giggled. "That tickles!"

Jack pinned Alex down to the bed and kissed all over the other boy's stomach, making the older boy squeal and squirm. Zack walked in when Jack's head was resting on Alex's stomach, and Alex was giggling like mad.

"Um," Zack said awkwardly. "Dinner's ready, so uh, I'm just gonna close the door now."

Jack smiled and lifted Alex into his arms, carrying him downstairs to eat dinner. Lisa was there, glaring at Jack as usual as she handed Alex his medicine. Rian had made them pasta and baked potatoes, and they were pretty good since he didn't burn them nor were they undercooked. Jack carried Alex back to his room when they were finished, and they watched Snow White and the Huntsman. After the movie, Alex was half asleep and slumped against Jack's chest. Just as he was about to tuck Alex in, Lisa walked in.

"He needs to sleep in his own bed tonight," she said sternly.

"He can't sleep without me," Jack said, petting the other boy's head.

"He'll be fine. He has to sleep alone," Lisa tapped her foot impatiently.

Jack sighed and carried Alex back to his own bed. Alex whimpered from the cold sheets coming in contact with his skin. Jack took the warm blanket from his room and wrapped it around Alex. He folded up Alex's blanket and laid it over his arm. Alex had already fallen asleep, and Jack smiled. He exited quietly so he wouldn't wake up his precious baby up. He was glad Alex felt better, and he hoped it stayed like this forever.

Back in her own room, Lisa planned ways to get rid of Jack. He wanted him to be out of the picture so she had a better chance with Alex. What if Jack got infected somehow? she thought. She grinned an evil sort of grin and began to make plans. Jack didn't know it, but he was in real danger.