Long Live Us

I Didn't Do It

"Jack."

"Mmph."

"Jack, wake the fuck up," Zack said, smacking him in the back of the head.

"What do you want?" Jack whined. "It's early."

"It's noon, dickface. Something's wrong with Alex."

Jack looked up at that. He was about to ask about it when he heard terrified screams coming from down the hall. Zack grabbed his arm and pulled him into Alex's room. Lisa and Rian were in there trying to calm down a screaming and kicking Alex.

"Get away from me!" Alex screamed. "Don't touch me!"

Alex backed up far into the corner of the room, his arms wrapped defensively around himself. He was breathing hard and watching them with fearful eyes. This was not the same Alex from yesterday.

"What's wrong with him?" Jack asked.

"He's hallucinating," Lisa explained. "He must've taken something."

Jack kneeled down a couple of feet away from Alex and scooted forward slowly. Alex watched him, but he didn't make any sort of disapproval. Jack put his hand on Alex's cheek gently, being cautious in case he panicked.

"Alex," he spoke in a soft whisper. "What's wrong, baby?"

Alex didn't answer and started to shake. Tears ran down his face quickly, and Jack pulled him into his arms.

"What did you give him?" Lisa asked.

"What? I didn't give him anything," Jack said.

"Well you obviously did," Lisa accused. "You were the only one he was with yesterday. You had to have given him something to make him be like this."

"I would never do that to him."

Jack began to get angry and defensive. She had no right to accuse him of doing something so horrible to his sweet baby boy. Lisa crossed her arms and shook her head.

"Jack, I hate to tell you this, but I think you're infected. You've been acted weird lately, and I'm not sure if I can trust you. I've seen people turn into zombies before, and you're showing every sign."

All four of them looked at each other. Some faces held disbelief, while others just stood and stared in shock. Lisa looked at Jack with her usual glare.

"I think it would be best for all of us if you left. You wouldn't want to hurt your friends, would you?"

Jack could see the evil in Lisa's eyes, and defeat in Rian and Zack's. Alex was curled into him, sniffling and clinging to his shirt. Lisa tapped her foot impatiently.

"Get out, Jack. It's for the best."