Long Live Us

Don't Leave

"Don't leave me," Alex whimpered.

Jack stuffed more clothes into his bag and looked at Alex sadly. It pained him to see that look on Alex's face. He hugged his boyfriend softly and kissed his head.

"It's...It's not safe for me to be near you, baby. I'm...I'm infected," Jack whispered.

It took Alex a second to register what Jack had said. As soon as he realized it, he burst into tears. He jumped onto Jack and refused to let go.

"Don't leave," he sobbed. "Don't leave me alone."

Jack hugged him tighter. Alex's tears stained his shirt and burned his heart.

"I'm not going far," he said softly. "I'm just gonna move into the house across the street."

"I don't care if you're infected," Alex screamed. "Don't leave!"

Jack sighed and pulled Alex down onto the bed. Alex was crying himself into hysterics, and Jack couldn't do anything besides pet his hair and tell him everything would be okay, even if he knew it wouldn't be.

* * * *

It had been almost a week since Jack moved into the house across the street. It was too quiet and lonely without anyone else there. He missed his boyfriend so much it physically hurt to wake up and not see him in bed next to him. Alex came by everyday, but Lisa wouldn't let him spend more than an hour with him due to his "infection". And whenever he did come over, Lisa was always there watching him.

"Jack," Alex said quietly. "When can you come home?"

That question made Jack's heart burn. He looked over to Lisa, who glared disapprovingly, and sighed.

"I don't know," he said softly.

The hour passed by quickly, much too quick for the two lovers. Alex made his way back across the street, but Lisa stayed behind. She looked at Jack without sympathy, and shook her head.

"I'm not letting Alex come see you anymore."