Long Live Us

I'll Save You

"Alex, do you wanna watch a movie?"

No answer.

"Alex?"

Still nothing.

Zack sighed and walked into Alex's room. It had been a week since he and Jack separated, and Alex wasn't taking it very well. Zack found him sitting at the window, looking sadly at the sunset. He pulled the boy into a hug and turned on The Avengers to try and cheer him up. Alex watched most of the time, but kept glancing over at the window, as if he were checking if Jack were coming back. An hour into the movie, Alex fell asleep with his head pillowed on Zack's thigh. Zack turned the movie off and shifted Alex until he was lying on a pillow. He threw a blanket over him and exited the room. He was glad he could at least help Alex for a little while, even if it was just an hour.

* * * *

Zack woke up to a crackling sound and a strong smell of smoke. He opened his eyes to find black smoke pouring into his room from the hallway. He hurried and grabbed two bags of supplies then ran to Rian's room. Rian was already throwing things into a backpack and hurrying to get out of there. With a quick nod to Rian, he started to run to Alex's room. He could see the flames now, and they were coming from Alex's room. He could hear Alex's faint screams from down the hall. He met Lisa at Alex's doorway. He peered into Alex's room, and the fire seemed to have started there. Alex was on his bed, screaming like mad, and there didn't seem to be a path for him to escape.

"Go," Lisa said loudly. "Get out of here! I'll get Alex! You and Rian run!"

Zack nodded and took off with Rian. Once out of the house, they met up with Jack who was standing in the yard looking at the house in horror.

"Where's Alex?" he asked, panicking.

"Lisa is getting him, don't worry. They'll be out any second," Rian said, patting Jack's shoulder.

After a minute, the flames had spread to most of the upstairs. Lisa ran out of the front door, covering her face with her arm and coughing. They expected Alex to come out after her. He didn't.

"Where's Alex?" Zack asked.

"Couldn't get him," Lisa panted. "Too much fire."

Jack's heart broke at the sound of those words. He ran toward the flaming house, brushing off Zack's hands that tried to grab him.

"Where are you going?" Rian yelled.

"I'm getting Alex! I'm not leaving him behind, not again!"

* * * *

Alex sobbed from the corner of the room. They had left him to die. Again. He hugged his knees tightly to his chest and screamed for someone to come save him. Parts of the house had started to fall off, which only added to Alex's fears. He curled into the corner and prayed that this would all end soon. The flames were licking at his clothes and skin now, and all he could do was cry and scream.

"Alex! Baby! Where are you?" Jack's voice screamed.

Alex screamed louder and looked up to the doorway. Jack was standing there, surrounded by all the flames. Alex knew Jack would never be able to reach him with all the fire surrounding him. Alex's clothes started to catch fire, and he had to take them off quickly to prevent being burnt. He looked up to Jack helplessly, tears pouring down his face.

"It's okay baby, I'm gonna get you out," Jack said from the doorway.

Jack looked at all the fire in Alex's room and took a deep breath. He ran through the flames, burning his bare legs. He ran over to Alex and picked up the traumatized boy. He started running, and right when they were only a few feet from the door, part of the house collapsed and they were trapped. Alex was coughing from the lack of oxygen, and Jack knew that if they didn't get out soon they'd die. He tucked Alex into one arm and tried to pry open the window. It wouldn't budge.

"Cover your face," Jack yelled over the crashing sounds of the house collapsing.

Alex did what he was told and Jack put Alex on the ground for a second. He could feel his lungs burning, but he knew he at least had to get Alex out. He slammed his fist against the glass window, and it cracked. He did it a second time and it shattered. His knuckles were bloody and he was loosing his senses, but he was able to throw Alex through the broken window. He collapsed on the floor of the burning house and blacked out.

* * * *

Rian caught the Alex that flew out of the broken window, and Zack pulled out the unconscious Jack from the burning house. Jack woke up moments after being pulled out and started panicking.

"Where's Alex? W-Where's my baby?" he asked, looking everywhere for his boyfriend.

Rian set Alex down in Jack's lap, and watched the adorable reunion between the two. Lisa stood a couple feet away from them, glaring. The burning house collapsed with a loud crash. Zack looked over and saw a zombie right behind Lisa.

"Lisa look out for the-"

But it was too late. Lisa was eaten.
♠ ♠ ♠
gasps