Status: I'll add more if y'all like it!

Workforce Development

Tres Panache

I can’t believe it had come to this.
The SFCC student career board had seen better days. Graffiti and knife carvings decorated the rim of the corkboard, which was plastered with layers of job ads and phone numbers secured by push pins.
Looking for a Student to Shelve Books for the Campus Library! Walk in interviews all this week. Ugh. I loved reading, but being a book slave was the last thing I wanted to do for minimum wage. I guess I could go in tomorrow after Biology…
There were ads for dogwalkers, babysitters. I was looking for a real job, not a teenager-scrounging-for-some-extra-cash job. Then again, I didn’t have any job experience. I sighed and started to program a few of the numbers into my phone.
Right in the middle of adding Abby's Floral Arranging as a contact, my phone started buzzing with a call from my dad. I sighed at his timing—I had a class in ten minutes—but pressed “accept”.
“Hey dad!” I answered.
“Hi princess,” his warm voice replied. I softened a little. I loved my dad, and it wasn't his fault that it wasn't 9 am in Paris. “What are you up to?”
“Just at school, is all.”
“Oh, are you in class? Did I get you in trouble?” he asked. I could tell he was smiling. In the background I could hear Jacques playing cars with their adopted Cambodian twin boys, Marcus and Antony.
“Nope, I have a psychology lecture in five minutes, though. What's up dad?”
“Oh, not much. How is school going? You know how I feel abut you choosing to go to that place for college instead of an Ivy like I know you're capable of.” he inquired. I appreciated the complement on my intelligence, but I tensed up a little at his criticism of community college. When I told him last year what my plan was, he freaked out. We mostly repaired that bridge but things school related got a little terse between us.
“School is fine, dad. How's the hotel?” I changed the subject.
“It's gorgeous as ever! You really ought to come see it next summer! And bring Jax. I miss you and your sassy sidekick.”
Dad used to come visit a lot more before moving across the ocean. He would always take Jax and I to the most delicious restaurants, the best movies, and even spoiled us from presents brought back from Paris. Jax adored my dad and he adored her back.
“That would be fun!” I admitted, imagining Jax and I in vintage berets—well mine vintage, hers Chanel—skipping down the Parisian sidewalks with our arms linked, with a trail of admirers.
“Plus we could use some extra help around the hotel.” he joked.
“I'm actually in the process of looking for a job.” I told him proudly.
“Really? What does your mother think of that one?” Dad knew about mom's “I-Don't-Want-You-To-Suffer” diatribe all too well.
“She is beyond wary.”
“Of course she is,” he laughed good-naturedly, “Antony! That couch is suede! Jacques, grab his juice before he spills!”
“Daddy duty is calling?” I asked.
“I'm still your daddy too, Marissa.” he said seriously. Dad always got super paranoid about me being uncomfortable with him having new kids around, but I didn't really mind. Antony and Marcus were adorable.
“I know. Now go help poor Jacques out!” I exclaimed. I heard Jacques yell “Thank you!” in the background.
“Okay, okay. Good luck with the job search! I'll call you this weekend. Kiss, kiss, love you, bye!”
He hung up before I could reply. I looked back at the job board and decided I was too lazy to put he floral woman's number in my phone. Maybe my psychology professor could scan my brain and tell me what the hell was wrong with me.