Next Time? There Won't Be No Next Time

Not The Best Of Days...

The tears begin streaming down my face as I rush out to get the nurse, Marshall and his father. The nurse runs in the room with all of us following. I know there is nothing anyone can do but I try to reassure Marshall into thinking that the nurse can do something, that everything will be okay.
"I never even got to say goodbye. She's my own mother and I wasn't here to watch her go. Just like the last time, I was out the front of the hospital helping that load of shit get through it." Marshall points to his father, "You're not even my real father! My father killed himself! You haven't even known my mom anywhere near as long as I have and yet every time she has been ill, I've been with you, not my own mom! It's your fault she's ill, you're the one who threw her down the stairs putting her in that coma all those months ago. And you're the one who never paid the bills causing mom to stress, causing mom to develop cancer. Well you're gunna pay for this, I'll make sure of it!" Marshall makes a fist behind his back and I see his foot edge forward. I leap in front of him and take the punch for myself. I don't whimper, I just push him away and take him to the kitchen to calm down.

"What the hell did you do that for? I could have put him in the coma he put my mom through! Now you're hurt. Now you hate me!"
"What? No! I don't hate you, I know how much you wanted to hurt him but you're already in too much trouble cos of the battle. Now just walk in there and just think about your mother, she is the one to worry about now. I love you and I'm just gunna forget about this punch and when the bruise goes down nothing will have happened." We walk back into the room and see Marshalls mom being un-wired. His 'father' pretends not to acknowledge us walking in.

After Marshall says goodbye to his mother he walks up the stairs and locks himself in his old room. I decide not to follow, he just needs to be alone. The day goes by fast and Marshall is still upstairs. His mother is being washed and put into her clothes whilst I sit on the stairs to give privacy. I decide Marshall has been up there too long so I head up to see him. His door is not locked so I knock and enter straight away. There is a lump under the covers and I see breathing so I know he hasn't run away like the last time. I sit on the bed and talk to him, even though he is still under the duvet. After about 10 minutes of me just talking aload of shit, Marshall gets out of the bed and sits with me. I give him a hug to cheer him up.
"Look do you wanna go home, you'll be more comfortable there and you won't be tempted to hit that man. We can stay if you wanna, just thinking of you babe." He looks at me and smiles and give me a little kiss on the cheek.
"I think I'll stay the night, but you can leave." I know he is still upset, but his mom did die. I will stay the night with him, I can't leave him here with the random man, I don't even know his name, but that's not important cos I don't plan on talking to him.

As we lay in the rough double bed, I can't sleep. I know Marshall is still awake so I turn and give him a cuddle. Next thing I know is the sun shine through the curtains.
"Did you sleep well babe? I didn't sleep at all." I nod my head and I see all the tissue on his side of the bed and I realize what he said was true, all he did was cry. I get up and dressed and as I walk back into the room he is fast asleep. He is so beautiful and I never really think about that. I tuck him back in and go downstairs where that man is sitting at the kitchen table with the news paper.

My heart begins to pound again as if it's about to rip through my chest. Why am I scared of him? Why am I thinking he is going to hurt me? As I get some cereal and coffee, I sit at the table with him. He looks up and I can tell he didn't sleep at all either.
"How is he?" I don't want to reply but Marshall is asleep, and who said I have to be sweet and kind?
"He is no better really, he didn't sleep at all, but he is pretty much knocked out upstairs." I talk in a croaky voice and I don't sound too pleasant. He begins to tell me about Marshalls mother and eveytime I reply I'm blunt, after all I don't like him after Marshall let out everything about him. Half hour goes by and the phone rings. I go to answer it as I see the number '911'
"Hello? Officer?"
"Hello ms. I have had a recent call that a man that was supposedly Mr. Mathers, is responsible for Mrs. Mathers' death."
"Umm yes that may be true. Who did you receive this call from?"
"A nurse that was in your household yesterday with Mrs. Mathers. Is this male available for us to speak with? We will need him down the station immediately, there will be a car waiting for him outside in about five minutes, thanks." Before I can answer he hangs up on me. After explaining the phone call to him, the man leaves with keys to get into the car. He slams the door and wakes Marshall, which about two minutes after, he comes down the stairs to see what is happening. I explain everything and tell him the police doesn't know he is here and hopefully won't know. We pack up and leave to go back home and we take an extra key for the house for if we need it.
♠ ♠ ♠
hii guys, I've had writers block and this is why this isnt very exciting, to me anyways. Let me know what you think, Thanks :p xxx