Skates and Plates

Caller Number Nine

Liz hummed along quietly to the music as she slowly stirred the batter, her mind drifting from reality as she tried to push the words from last night out of her mind. Her and Joey fought, all the time lately, and with each fight came words that hurt her to her core. She wasn't sure how much longer she would be able to hang on, how much longer she would be able to sit back and let him hurt her.

"Ah, shoot!" She scolded herself as she watched the batter drip to the floor. Grabbing a cloth she bent down to wipe it up.

"Alright listeners, listen up. Caller number nine right now will win a VIP package to the annual Penguins Skates and Plates." Liz ran to her phone, she had been waiting all morning for this announcement. As soon as she heard about the contest she had listening religously to the morning show every morning, hoping to win.

Joey's birthday was coming up and although they had been going through a rough patch, she wanted to do something nice for him. Maybe it would help improve things, make them the way they used to be. Joey was a die hard Penguins fan, he had been since the Lemieux and Jagr days, so he would say. She didn't even know who Lemieux and Jagr were, she didn't know anything about hockey. All she knew was that if she won this prize, things with Joey would get better.

As she repeatidly hit the redail button on her phone, her heart started to race when the other end started to ring. "93.7 K Rock" The voice on the other end answered. Liz took a deep breath and exhaled slowly before answering. "Hi, am I caller number nine?" She asked hesitantly.
"Well I don't know, do you want to be caller number nine?"
"Yes, yes I do." She answered, her voice just above a whisper
"Well, I'm sorry, but you are caller number eight."
Liz felt her heart fall from her chest. "Oh, really? Okay."
"I'm kidding!" The voice on the other end replied. "Fooled you didn't I? Yes, you are caller number nine. Now, all you have to do is answer this question to win the ultimate Pens prize pack and a VIP night out for the Skates and Plates gala next week. Are you ready?"

A million thoughts ran through Liz's head at once, she didn't know anything about hockey. "I guess so." She tried to sound confident.

"Alright. Who is the Penguins all time scoring leader?"

Liz thought about it for a minute, knowing that she only knew who two players were and had no idea if either of them were any good. "Um, I don't know.....Lemieux?"

She heard the commentator let our a load congratulatory laugh "Yes! You are a winner! What's your name?"

"Liz"

"Congratulations Liz! You're going to be hanging out with some superstars next week. Stay on the line and we'll take your info."

"Great! Thanks!" She replied, finally finding her voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Guys. Just want your thought on this one. I'm trying to write from Third person POV but I'm finding it harder than writing from the characters point of view. I might have to change that. But I was inspired by the picture of Sid in his tux....and yeah...we'll see how it goes. Any feedback would be great.