Heels Over Head

19

"Baby, come cuddle with me." Johnny whispered through the darrkness in the small bedroom.

It had been about five minutes since his mom had come in, and interupting our little make out session. That wouldn't have happened if I had gone home for the holidays.

But none the less, I didn't want her coming in again to find us once again making out.

"Because, Johnny. I wouldn't want your mother to have another heart attack about us." I sighed closing my eyes. "And I'm not trying to make that sound bitchy. I just don't know what I did to piss her off."

"Its not you, Tarrah. She's just protective. She doesn't know you, and she's just trying to make sure you're best for me." He said.

"But babe!" I whined. "She lied, and said I called her a fucking cunt. She really must hate me."

"She doesn't hate you Tarrah. Come here please." Johnny said. I could tell even in the dark that he was attempting to give me sad eyes.

I caved, and wiggled over to him. I rested my head on his chest, and closed my eyes once again. He warpped his arms around me, and I smiled.

The next couple of days were complete hell. Charlenne had lied about so much, I ended up sleeping on the couch with Jasper. He seemed to be the only one in hte house that liked me. Jack, Johnny's dad, had just ignored everything that was going on.

Tomorrow was thanksgiving. Meaning one more night, and I could go back to the comfort of my own apartment.

Charlenne made breakfast, and made sure that I slept through it.

"You know, I don't tolerate laziness." She said as I helped clean up the breakfast mess.

"I'm sorry. I was up late last night. Johnny and I were, uhm, arguing." I said, feeling tears starting to well up. I didn't know at this point whether there was going to be a "Johnny and I" by the time Friday arrived.

"I heard. Why don't you and I go out for lunch. Jack, and Johnny are going to go fishing for a while today. I have some things I need to talk to you about." She said a sneer in her voice.

I let a few tears fall. "What is your problem with me?!" I asked turning around, a tear slipping, and rolling down my cheek. "I have tried so hard to be nice to you and all you do is lie, and tell Johnny these horrible things. I don't even know if we're going to be together by Friday." I sobbed.

"Get ahold of yourself. Theres something about you that I don't know yet. And I'm going to find out. We're going to lunch. Be ready by eleven thirty. Is nine thirty now." She said an evil look in her eyes.

I finished the dishes, and walked upstairs. It was ten now, and I had an hour and a half to get ready. That should be enough time... right?

I showered, and dressed in a pair of tan capris, and a Paramore t-shirt. I put on my black flip flops, and walked into the bathroom to do my makeup. Light on the eyeliner, and I put a little bit of yellow on for eyeshadow since my t-shirt was yellow. I kind of looked like a prep, but whatever. I was trying to not be myself for Charlenne.

It was eleven thirty when I was done so I hurried downstairs.

Charlenne was waiting by the door. She was smiling, but it wasn't evil. It was... nice?

"Ready?" She asked.

"Uhm, yeah." I said quietly.

"We'll take my car." She said getting her keys, and leading me out the door.

The whole way to the resteraunt she struck up conversation, and was generally all around nice. I wanted to know what trick she was going to pull now.

We walked into the resteraunt, and got a table on their little patio type deal.

"So Tarrah, I have to be completely honest." Charlenne said smiling.

'Here it comes.' I thought, taking a sip of the lemonaide that was infront of me.

"I was testing you for the past couple of days. I wanted to see if you were good enough for my son. You're a very nice girl. You're perfect for him." She said.

I choked on the liquid that was going down my throat.

"E-excuse me?" I asked.

"I know I've been a complete bitch, but I just love my little boy. I can tell by the way he looks at you you're a keeper. I want to say I'm sorry." She said.

"Um..." I paused. "Apology accepted. I think." I said sitting back in my chair, and thinking.

"Especially for walking in on you on sunday night. If theres one thing a mother never wants to see its her son getting hot and heavy with his new girlfriend." She laughed.

I laughed too. "So is this like a truce kind of thing? Like completely. Not just between us. Because seriously Charlenne, if I lose Johnny I think I'm going to just pack up and go home to Jersey. He's the only thing thats keeping me here. I'm so homesick." I said looking into her eyes.

She stared back for a minute. She looked deep in my eyes to see if I was being serious.

She smiled. "Its a complete truce. But honey, if you're so homesick why aren't you back with your family for thanksgiving?" She asked.

"Because Johnny said you guys really wanted to meet me, I didn't want to disappoint him. Plus airline prices are outrageous. I can only afford to go for Christmas." I explained.

Charlenne nodded, and the waitress came with our food.

When we got back to the house, Johnny was in the livingroom with his dad. It was still awkward to be around him since our argument last night.

Charlenne seemed to realize this.

"Jonathan can I talk to you in the kitchen for a moment, dear?" She asked.

"Sure thing mom." He said glancing over at me before he left.

I put my head in my hands, and sighed.

"Did she call a truce?" I heard Jack ask from the corner of the room.

"What? How do you know about that?" I asked.

"Tarrah, I've been asking her not to do this for days now. Even before you came. I saw how you and Johnny have been tense with eachother now, so I told her to tell you what was going on. I'm assuming she did?"

I nodded, and smiled. "But is she going to keep that promise?" I asked. "Or is she telling Johnny another lie as we speak?"

"I think she's telling him the truth." Jack said smiling.

I nodded, and waited for Johnny to come back.

When he did, he was smiling and he sat next to me. "I'm sorry Tarrah. I didn't know. I love you." Johnny said huging me.

"I love you too babe." I said resting my head on his shoulder.

"So Tarrah, would you like to help me start preparing tomorrows dinner?" Charlenne asked.

I smiled. "Sure." I said standing up, and following her into the kitchen.