Status: A little co-written piece with the lovely HannaDarling. Chapters will be alternating first person view.

Her Love to Bury

Chapter One

Bang!

The heavy oaken door burst open like a cannon shot sending a myriad of dust swirling up into the stale air with all the thickness of a blizzard.

“Oh my,” I heard a woman rasp before dissolving into a fit of rather violent coughing, muffled by what I assumed was her handkerchief. “I must not know my own strength.”

I suppressed a smirk at that comment. Clearly she was unaware that most things in this house have a mind entirely of their own.

“Yes,” a girl's voice agreed with a hint of laughter. “Surely that must be it.”

I tiptoed silently to the edge of the balcony overlooking the foyer to catch a glimpse of these newest trespassers. This was the third visit this week. When were they going to learn that some houses are just not meant for occupancy?

At least not of the living.

The woman beneath me launched into a diatribe about the merits of the house, of the curious phrase her type always seemed to use with these unwitting victims, “fixer-upper”. What about the house needed fixing pray tell? I've lived here quite comfortably for decades with no issue.

While she spoke, I observed.

The woman herself was nothing special. She seemed the standard issue type. Ill fitting jacket paired with a funny little straight skirt that hit at such an angle so as to be both indecent and decidedly unflattering all at once. If I had legs such as hers I would never dare show them in public no matter if it were socially acceptable or not.

The girl beside her was another story entirely. She was clad in a simple white dress lacking sleeves but beautiful nonetheless, her long black hair was tied back in an attractive fashion that showcased her lovely face and wide green eyes. She seemed to not be paying the older woman any mind but instead was looking around the house with a sharp eye, as if imagining herself beginning a life here.

Before the woman's speech was even complete the girl interrupted her with a smile that made her seem even more beautiful.

“I'll take it!”

There was something akin to shock on the woman's face at those words which was hardly surprising considering the rush of bad luck her compatriots had had with every other potential renter. It was as if something in the house just scared them off, made them feel ill at ease, sent them rushing away in terror.

And whatever could that be? Such a mystery!

“You...you'll take it?”

“Yes, I'll take it. With Flagler being only about thirty minutes away and the dorms all full up for the semester and then with the absolute steal I would be getting this place at, how could I dare pass it up?”

“Well let's get back to my office and sign the papers," the woman said, relief and gratitude evident in her voice as she rushed the young woman towards the door. “You can move in immediately!”

Yeah, I thought. We shall see about that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am still kind of getting a feel for this story. I think I will be able to hit my stride after my co-author posts so I can see how to best play off of her writing. Expect much longer chapters in the future.