Status: Completed :)

Believe in Me

Twenty Two.

"Lilly!? What...what are you doing here?"

"I needed to find you, Rach. You're my best friend. Let me be here for you."

Rachel turned away, looking back into her home. She stayed like that for a moment, then turned back to me with tears in her eyes. Without hesitation, I went in for a hug. I knew Rachel was glad I was there. She needs someone, and with Jon in the playoffs, she has no one but her parents.

“I couldn’t take it anymore, Lil. I couldn’t handle being in that apartment. I…you don’t know how this feels. We had everything ready. We were so excited. A few cramps and a doctor’s visit later, I find out I lost my child.” She cried.

I didn’t know what to say. I don’t think anything I say could’ve helped. She’s right, I don’t know how it feels. I wouldn’t even want to imagine the feeling. “I’m here. If you want me to leave, I completely understand. Just know that I’m here.” I explained. She stood there, looking around her house for a minute.

“I think it’d be best if you went back to Chicago,” She began. “I need time with my family and Jon needs space from this. I’ll be back, I promise. I just need some family time right now.” I nodded, picking up my bags. “That’s fine. That’s okay, I’ll go back.” I smiled. “Just know I’m a phone call away.”

With that, we said our goodbyes and I headed back to the airport.
____________________________________________________
“You weren’t really sick, were you?” Patrick asked me. I sighed, walking into his place. “No.” I admitted. He rolled his eyes, sitting down on the sofa. He pretended to read a Sports magazine, waiting for one of us to speak up.

“Where were you? Why’d you lie?” He asked, his voice rising. He was furious. I tried not to roll my eyes, not in the mood to deal with him. “I had to help Rachel, okay? Can you just drop it?” I asked far too bitchy. Patrick shut the magazine and got up from the sofa. The tension was horrible between us, but neither of us wanted to apologize or give in.

“I’m going back to my apartment.” I called to him. He was in his bedroom by the time I got up and grabbed my purse. Without hearing a response, I walked out.

I ran my hands through my hair, standing outside of the Trump. First Rachel, now Patrick. Everything was going out of control and I didn’t know how to handle it. What’s Patrick’s problem? It was one tiny little lie. Not a big deal.

I walked to Starbucks to grab a coffee and play on my iPad. It was empty when I walked in, just how I liked it. I sat down in a chair with my coffee, debating on texting Patrick. In the end I knew I shouldn’t. If he really wanted to talk to me, he’ll try first.

“Your coffee is getting cold.” This guy joked, sitting down in the chair across from mine. I realized I’d zoned out and he noticed. I smiled generously, “Thanks.”

“It’s a nice day today, isn’t it?” He asked, staring out the window. He was handsome. Tall and tan with bright blue eyes and short dark brown hair. He was dressed up in a suit and tie with Gucci dress shoes. “Yeah, looks like spring is on its way.” I told him. I acted like I was typing on my iPad to distract myself from the awkwardness.

“Are you a student?” He asked, pointing to my iPad. I shook my head, but before I could answer, my phone began to ring. I held up a finger, excusing myself for a moment. I walked to the back of the coffee shop, watching the guy to make sure he didn’t steal my iPad or my drink.

“Hello?”

“Where are you?” Patrick said on the other line. “We weren’t done talking.”

“I’m at Starbucks. I think we’re done for the day, Pat.” His voice was firm and serious. “Lilly, come back to my place. Now.”

I rolled my eyes, what the hell is his problem? Patrick had never talked to me like that. He’s never sounded so demanding and serious. “Patrick, what’s your problem? I’m not coming back if you’re going to act like this.”

I glanced over to my seat, the same guy was sitting in his chair sipping on his Latte. “Acting like what? Can’t you stop bitching and come back?” Patrick shot back. Each time he spoke, I got more irritated. “I’m not coming back. I’ll talk to you later.” I said, then hung up.

“Sorry. Thanks for watching my things.” I told the guy as soon as I sat. He smiled and shrugged, “My pleasure. I’m Adam.” He greeted, sticking his arm over the table to shake my hand. “Lilly.” I smiled.

“You never answered me. Are you a student?”

“Oh, sorry.” I said. “No, I’m not. Not yet.”

“Not yet?”

“I want to get into Film.”

“Ahh, what an industry.” He smiled. “Any idea of what school you
want to go to?”

“No idea. I moved here months ago from California, I’m still figuring everything out.”

The guy, Adam, nodded, clearly listening to what I had to say. He’d spilt coffee on his Burberry tie, so he wasn’t looking at me. “Are you a student?” I asked. I knew it was a dumb question. He
looks way out of college.

He chuckled, “No. I’m a lawyer.”

We talked more about his job and school, he was really interesting and funny. I finished my coffee and he finished his danish when we got up to leave.

“It was nice meeting you.” He smiled. I smirked, “You too. Maybe we’ll bump into each other again.”

“If not, you can have this,” He said, reaching into his wallet. He handed me a card with all of his information. “Don’t hesitate to call.” He smiled, then headed out of the shop. I watched him as he got into his shiny black Maserati, then headed down the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
Words cannot express how sorry I am for the lack of updates. Life has been crazy, but things are better now (so expect more updates). More comments = More updates. Share your thoughts.

Ps, this is Adam (Handsome, riiiight? :P) *swoon*