Status: Completed :)

Believe in Me

Twenty Five.

“Hey Lilly, it’s Patrick. I, uh, I think we should talk. Gimme a call and maybe you can come over or something? Thanks.”

Talk? What the hell does he want to talk to me about? I groaned, rolling over in my bed and smashing my head into a pillow. Patrick decided to call 4 days after he saw me with Adam? I don’t get it. Things with Adam were going great, we’d gone out every night. He’s fun, he’d take me to random places to do random activities. It felt like a normal relationship, even though we weren’t officially together. With Patrick, every time we went out, someone would stop him to talk or to get a photo. I understand that’s his lifestyle, but I wasn’t used to it. It made me uncomfortable. Being with Adam is so much different. There are no interruptions. It’s the two of us, always.

I looked at my phone, Patrick left that voicemail at 2:43 in the morning. Please don’t tell me he was drunk. I sat up and dialed his number. I sighed, feeling a bit nervous.

“Hello?” He answered, sounding like he had just woken up. I figured they had the day off, because he always sleeps in on those days.

“Hi.” I said nervously. “You called?”

“Oh,” He said, suddenly awakened. “It’s you.”

“It’s me.”

“Can you come over?”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” I admitted. He sighed, probably rolling his eyes. “Lilly, we really need to talk. We can talk in the restaurant here. We don’t even have to talk in my place.”

“Fine.” I told him. “I’ll be over in 30.”

I got off the phone and rushed to the bathroom, putting on some makeup and throwing my hair in a bun. I looked out the window and it was raining, so I got dressed wearing jeans, boots, and a coat. I took a cab to the Trump and arrived there 10 minutes early. I walked in, pulling out my phone to call Patrick, but he was already in the lobby. He smiled awkwardly walking toward me. We didn’t hug or anything, we strictly walked toward the restaurant together.

“You hungry?” He asked me, taking a seat at the table. I shrugged, “A little.”

“Oh, c’mon Lil, you always eat a ton for breakfast.” He chuckled. He looked so relaxed, so calm. I on the other hand, wanted to know what the hell he wanted to talk about. I was about to ask when the waiter came to take our orders. Patrick got his usual; pancakes, bacon, eggs, wheat toast with a side of hash browns. I only ordered a breakfast Panini.

“So what did you want to talk about?” I finally asked. Patrick cracked his neck, leaning onto the table. “Why didn’t you tell me about the baby?”

That’s it? He told me to come here to talk about Rachel?

“It wasn’t my place to tell. That’s their business.” I said bluntly. He leaned back, rolling his eyes. “It made you upset, though. I wanted to be there for you but you wouldn’t let me. That’s all I ever want, is to be there for you. I try and try and try, but sometimes, most of the time, you don’t give in. You don’t let me know things.”

“That’s what this is about? You’re going to get mad at me for not telling you? How’d you find out?” I asked, my voice rising.
“Lilly?” I heard from behind me. My stomach clenched, and I turned around to see Adam at another table, eating alone. I smiled as he got up to walk toward us. I looked once at Patrick, who looked like he enjoyed where this was going.

“What are you doing here?” Adam smiled, bending over to give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“I’m at brunch with a friend.” I told him.

“Ah, no. I’m her ex.” Patrick told him, smiling with a piece of toast in his hand. I felt myself burning up, my stomach was in knots.

“It’s not what you think.” I whispered in Adam’s ear. He nodded, not looking too worried. “What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I live here.”

“Oh, now this is great. I live here too.” Patrick chuckled, standing up. He stuck his hand out to Adam, “I’m Patrick Kane.”

“Adam Henderson.” He grinned. “Well, Lilly, I’ve gotta go. I’ll call you later and maybe we can catch a movie?”

I smiled, sighing in relief. “Of course.”

Adam nodded once to Patrick then left the restaurant. I looked at Patrick, who was now sitting, staring at me blankly. “You like that guy?” He asked me. I nodded, “Yeah. I do.”

He took a deep breath, looking around the restaurant. “You really like that guy?”

“I do, Patrick.”

He rubbed his hand on his neck. He didn’t say anything for a while. He didn’t have to. I could see the hurt in his eyes. They were dull and sad. I felt bad, but I couldn’t lie to him. I liked Adam. He made me feel different. I truly liked him.

“He’s a lucky guy.” Patrick said finally, throwing the napkin from his lap onto the table. He pulled out his wallet and left a 50 near the edge. “Take care, Lilly.”

And with that, he got up and walked out without turning back once.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you guys feel any sympathy for Patrick (even though he broke it off)? How do you feel about Lilly moving on with Adam? Let me know! I plan on updating later today. Comment your thoughts and opinions.