Status: Completed :)

Believe in Me

Thirty.

"How...how is that possible?"

"I never slept with Adam."

"All that time and you didn't sleep with him once?" He asked me, his head in his hands. I sighed, "Nope."

"You weren't on birth control?"

"Obviously not." I replied sarcastically, pointing down at my growing stomach. His face was pale and his lips were pink.

"Wow." was all he could say.

We sat there for a few minutes. I knew not to say anything. It was too much for him to take in. I couldn't apologize. I wanted to, but I couldn't. I wanted to feel bad, but I couldn't. This baby is half his. I shouldn't apologize.

"So how is he?" Patrick asked me after a moment. I grinned, "He's healthy. Want to see a photo?"

Pat grinned, nodding his head as I reached for my purse. I pulled out my wallet and grabbed the four ultrasound photos I always had with me. He stared at them silently; taking it all in. That baby in the photo was his. I felt a kick in my stomach and giggled, it was my son saying "hello".

Patrick looked up from the photos, clearly still in awe. I rubbed my stomach as Little Patrick kicked. "Do you want to feel him?" I asked, reaching for Pat's hand and setting it on my stomach. He jumped when he first felt him, then laid his hand back on it. I couldn't help but stare at his hand on my stomach. Everything felt right.

I looked up to find Pat crying. Of course, he tried to hide it immediately by rubbing his eyes and coughing. I didn't say anything at all, I just leaned over and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"We should probably talk about us." I recommended.

"What is there to say? I want to be with you. I want us all to be a family."

"You don't have to do this because of the baby, Pat. You need to think." I told him. He shook his head.

"I've been thinking for the past five months. I've never stopped loving you. A child at 24, yeah it sounds crazy, especially me of all people, having a baby. It sounds outrageous, I know. I'm ready, though. I'm ready to step up. I'm ready to be there for the both of you. You can move in with me or we'll find a house. Whatever you want. I just want to be with you."

___________________________________________________

"Alright boys, Kaner's got a little announcement to make." Sharpy announced in the locker room, smiling at Patrick. A week after finding out the news and telling his family, Patrick went over to the Sharp's for some advice. It was nice for him to talk to Sharpy and his wife. They didn't treat him like a young kid anymore. They told him how it is, and how it will be. There were no jokes or remarks, everything was friendly and helpful.

Patrick went on to tell Jonathan next, who was shocked at first. He was nervous for his friend, but after talking for a while, Jonathan had faith in his friend. He knew he would step up for his son.

The locker room went quiet, his teammates sitting at their lockers. "Lily and I are having a baby."

Their faces went from shocked to happy in about 10 seconds. Patrick chuckled, "I know, I know. Me, of all people. I'm ready though, boys. I'm ready to take care of Lily and our son."

"It's a boy?" Duncan Keith asked. Patrick nodded, pulling out an ultrasound photo from his pocket.

"Patrick Kane the 3rd."
______________________________________________________

"Lily! Open up!"

I groaned, getting up from my bed and wobbling to the front door. It was 7 in the morning, who on earth could be here?

"Oh my god. Hi!" I grinned as soon as I opened up. Patrick's three sisters and his mother were standing in front of me, suitcases in hand. They all were careful to hug me, acting like I was some sort of cracked vase.

"One month left, are you ready?" Erica asked, rubbing my belly. I giggled, "Definitely. I'm scared for labor but being 8 months pregnant is getting to be crazy. I'm ready to get this boy outta here!"

"You'll be worse when you're 9 months." Pat's mother chimed in.

"You'll grow the most. Where's Pat?"

"Morning skate. He just left, actually."

Donna smiled deviously, "Oh. We'll see him later then. His father was supposed to meet up with him, but God knows where that man is now."

"Well come in and make yourself at home! I'm gonna head back to the room and get dressed. Maybe we can head to breakfast?"

"We'd love that." Jessica smiled.

I quickly put on jeans and a coat to protect myself from the chilly Chicago weather. I struggled to put on my boots because of my stomach, but eventually got them on. I grabbed my purse and headed to the living room.

We headed down to the lobby and into the parking structure toward Pat's Tahoe. We all piled in and his mother offered to drive. "Where should we go?" she asked.

"There's a diner four blocks down, then turn left." I suggested. "It has the best waffles. I swear."

We all agreed and his mom pulled out of the structure. The streets were busy on the Chicago Saturday. Donna's phone began to ring in her purse and she asked me to grab it for her. It was Patrick on the other line, and I'd wondered why he was calling. He was supposed to be at morning skate. He should be on the ice right now.

"Can you hand the phone to me, honey?" His mom asked. I swallowed, a nervous lump in my throat, and handed her the black iPhone.

"Hello? Pat? Hey honey, what's up?" She asked, switching the phone to her left hand and sighing when she dropped it. She reached down, feeling around for the phone that was nowhere to be seen.

"Gosh da-"
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no excuse as to why I've taken this long to update. I'm truly sorry...also, next chapter will be the last one unless I decided to write one more. I've decided to NOT write a sequel either. I appreciate all of your patience and comments. Let me know what you think. Sad to see this story end but it's time is coming. :)