Status: Complete!

I'm Not The Same Boy You Knew Back Then

Chapter 11

The sound of spoons scraping the bottom of bowels and mindless morning chatter were the only things that could be heard in the kitchen. All four men were sat at the dining table, eating their cereal and drinking their juice. Zack and Matt were nattering on about whatever came up, with Jack and Alex chipping in whenever. Alex was amazed at how… well, normal Jack seemed after last night - like nothing had ever happened. He was just sat there, as calm as can be, munching on his lucky charms, and occasionally glancing at Alex with a grin. Alex would just blush and look away every time. When they'd kissed in the early hours, it felt like the world was peaceful, and time had stood still. Alex felt like he was safe when he was with Jack, and he didn't like it one bit. His routine was changing - Jack sat opposite him right now was a prime example of that, and he wasn't sure how he was going to cope with it. He really wanted Jack back in his life, but everything had just been so complicated for him up until recently.

He was knocked out of his reverie when he received a harsh kick to his shin. He looked up from the floor, and was met with Zack's unamused face. "I said, is Jack staying here permanently now? We could get a futon or something for the lounge?"

Before Alex could even answer, Jack cut in. "Well, I'd prefer it in Alex's room, really. So I can be closer to him."

A deep blush spread up Alex's neck, to the tips of his ears, and he quickly looked back down at his lap. He could hear the muffled giggles from Matt and Zack, and he could imagine the perfect smirk on Jack's face. Damn him.

"W-Well, err, can't really argue with that can we?" Matt breathed out, trying to force his few remaining giggles away.

Alex crossed his arms and let out a small huff like a child. Jack tapped his leg gently with his foot to gain his attention. Alex lifted his head, and was met with one of the most genuine, mesmerising smiles he had seen in his life. Jack's eyes were bright and warm, and his pearly white teeth were showing. Alex could have melted a little. He wanted to get the opportunity to talk to Jack about the night's events, because they were driving him crazy.

~*~

Zack and Matt had left for the grocery store, and the furniture shop for Jack's futon, leaving the two men alone in the apartment. Alex had taken Jack to his room, where they were deciding where Jack was going to sleep.

Alex's bedroom wasn't the size of a palace, but it wasn't a shoebox either. He had his double bed, his closet and set of drawers, his posters on the walls, a few meaningless trinkets and most importantly his guitar that Jack had returned. Alex was lying like a starfish across his bed, staring at the ceiling. Sometimes he just liked to sit in silence and reflect on everything, which was exactly what he was doing until Jack's face appeared above him. "Wha'cha doin'?"

Alex shrugged his shoulders. "Thinking."

"What about?"

"Stuff."

Jack paused thoughtfully, a frown appearing. "Do you not want me in your room?"

Alex shook his head in disagreement quickly, sitting up so fast he almost knocked his head with Jack's, the other man just moving away in time. "No! No, it's not that. I-I like having you here," he mumbled shyly, fiddling with his fingers. He suddenly felt a soft hand on his cheek, which lifted his head up so his eyes met Jack's. The said boy leaned down and captured Alex's lips in a gentle kiss. Alex was stunned to say in the least, and his bones were locked in position.

Jack noticed Alex wasn't returning the kiss and pulled away, taking a seat beside him on the bed. "Sorry. Was I a bit too much?"

Alex was surprised at himself how quickly he managed to say no. "Definitely not!" He squeaked. "I-I'm just a bit… confused about where this is going."

Jack took Alex's shaky hand in his. "You know Zack and Matt's relationship?" Alex nodded. "Well, I want that. With you."

Alex was so red at this point, he thought he might have looked a little bit like a tomato. "But we barely know each other a-anymore, Jack."

"I know. Doesn't mean we can't get to know each other again." He let go of Alex's hand, holding his own out in front of him. "Hello, my name is Jack Bassam Barakat, and I'm eighteen years old. I come from Baltimore, Maryland and I-"

This was the cherry on top of Alex's 'Wow I Didn't Know You Had That In You' cake. He himself leaned over Jack and pressed their lips together, a little more forcefully than intended. It had been a while since Alex had actually kissed someone properly, so he thought he should get points for trying. He felt Jack wrap his arms around his waist, and Alex just felt like he was falling deeper and deeper under Jack's spell. When he'd arrived in town, Alex had never imagined this situation. He was worried more than anything - that everything was going too fast, and one day it would just zoom past and leave him behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
so thursday seems to have accidentally become my update day oops. anyway sorry it's short i just wanted to finish it and yeah. it's just fluffy fluffy fluff fluff from here on in.