Status: Complete!

I'm Not The Same Boy You Knew Back Then

Chapter 9

A huge grin broke out on Jack's face, unshed tears quickly vanishing as he returned the hug. He revelled in the feeling of his hands pressed against the person he'd thought about the most in the past 4 years.

As if Alex could read his thoughts, he spoke up. "S-So where were you the rest of the time? I m-mean did it really take 4 years to speak to your brother?"

Jack sighed gently, moving a hand up to Alex's hair. He felt terrible that Alex was thinking he didn't come back to him when he'd finished, for no reason. "Well, it took a long while to actually get there. Dodging drunkards at four in the morning, numerous bus journeys, time spent collecting money for those bus journeys via busking with the guitar, going to buy food, and then promptly running from the police when they saw a scruffy teenage boy sleeping on a cardboard box outside of Walmart. Plus, on my travels, I met a good friend, Austin Carlile. He owns this bookstore, about half an hour from Joe's prison. When I walked past, I saw an advert in the window for a part time helper, and that's how we met. Obviously he found out I was homeless - I was fifteen, dressed like a hobo, and smelt like one two, with a backpack and a guitar. But, he offered me the job. At the same time he offered me a place to stay. He was nineteen at the time, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have stayed with him unless I was absolutely sure he wasn't an axe murderer. Turns out he was one of the best things to ever happen to me, along with you."

Alex lifted his head slightly, blush painting his cheeks. He smiled at him, silently telling him to continue.

"He tutored me, 'cause he was attending college, and we played music together. He's a great guy, you should meet him someday."

"He sounds like Matt," Alex said, tucking his face back into Jack's neck. "Matt helped me and tutored me, that's how I actually managed to keep my job at the cafe."

"Yeah well, I'm far from a genius, but I know all the basics and stuff. I was thinking about taking adult classes at the local college or something. I, err, want to stay around here from now on."

Alex hummed in agreement, too caught up in the homely feeling to answer Jack properly. He hadn't felt this close to someone in a long time, not even Matt. When they were kids, Alex and Jack were inseparable at the shelter, and always stuck together. Wether they left to go sleep under a bridge for a few nights with some other homeless people, or sit in some woods all day, they'd be with each other. That's when Alex realised. He had been mad at Jack for all these years, when really he had good explanation; Alex's biggest fear. And then he thought about their time together as kids, and and that time together in the park right before Jack left. "I'm so sorry, Jack, for not understanding why you wouldn't talk about your past to me, when we were younger. I pressured you and I should't have because you went through so much and-"

Jack grabbed Alex's face in his hands, lifting his head up so he could stare directly into his eyes. "Alex, you don't have to apologise. I was so insecure about everything, and there was nothing I would've wanted you to do differently."

Alex smiled - a genuine, wide, toothy smile. Jack let go of his face, and Alex laid his head back in the crook of Jack's neck. It wasn't long before he felt his eyes start to droop, and with that distinctive smell of Jack under his nose, and the warm hands pressed against his back, he finally felt like he was home.

~*~

Alex sat upright at extreme speed thanks to a huge crashing sound. He groaned as he stretched, coming to his senses more. He realised he must have fallen asleep while he was laying with… Jack. Alex put his head in his hands.

Why couldn't life just be simple for him? Why couldn't he have just grown up with a business man father, a housewife mother, an older brother to look out for him, and a younger sister who he himself could look out for, in a big yellow house with a white picket fence, and a dog called spot? His life had changed dramatically in the space of 24 hours - Jack had just… appeared in front of him. Alex was used to everyone in his life, and now he'd have to try and pick up where he left off, but with Jack fitted in along the way. That was a strange prospect for him - Alex always liked routine. He didn't have Aspergers - of that he was sure - but he just liked having an organised life, where he knew who would be around him and when, and what he was doing.

He rose from the couch, and plodded drearily into the kitchen, which is where the sound came from. Upon entering, he found Jack sat on the floor, broken pieces of a plate surrounding him. "I-I was just going to make a grilled cheese sandwich, and I dropped the plate…" Jack looked down at his lap, and Alex was trying to resist the urge to physically coo at him.

Instead, he smiled, and pulled the dustpan and brush out from behind the fridge. He knelt in front of Jack, and swept up the pieces of broken pottery. He'd just about finished, when he saw a droplet of blood splash onto the tiles. He looked up slightly, and saw a line of the crimson liquid trailing down Jack's hand, the said boy looking sheepishly at Alex. Alex sighed, and found out the first aid kit from the medicine cupboard, retuning to the floor. He took Jack's hand in his, drying up the blood with a piece of tissue. He rubbed some anti-septic cream on the small cut, and placed a band aid over the top. The problem was, Alex couldn't seem to let go of Jack's hand. All this time apart had made Alex forget what it was like to be around Jack, so it was like he was doing it all again - the hugs, the innocent pecks on the cheek (though Alex didn't want to get that far so soon). Jack coughed awkwardly, smiling up at Alex, and that's when he finally realised that he should let go. Once he had finally managed it, Jack's attention averted to the band aid. "Oh my god, they're 'Hello Kitty' band aids!"

Alex laughed. "Yeah, they were the only ones they had at the drugstore."

Jack was still staring at the plastic strip in awe, so Alex stood up once more and tidied away the kitchen. He moved around Jack as he got some bread out, some butter and some cheese. He turned on the stove, and smiled when he saw Jack looking at him questioningly. "What? I thought you wanted a sandwich?"
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah so i thought i'd get another one out, and it's not exactly exciting. i just hate like updating once a week when some stories i'm subscribed to a updated maybe once ever 2 days or something. sorry if there's any mistakes! and thanks for comments and everything! you're honestly such a great group of people who read this!