A Whole New World

Chapter One

It has been five years since supernaturals or as they are often called "supes" have revealed themselves to the world, the dominant supernatural groups being the vampires and werewolves. They proved their superiority in a brief two year war, World War Three. It was a feeble attempt by humans to try to regain ignorance of other possible beings, an ignorance humans did not know they valued until their naivety was shown. Supes want things to go back to the way they were, except of course them coming out of the metaphorical non sexual closet

And here I am a twenty five year old human woman standing outside in the cold Chicago wind waiting and trying to get into a supe club.

The reason I'm not tucked away in my meek little apartment is because my only friend Monica's twenty first birthday is today and she would start world war four if we did not do something tonight. Though I'm uncomfortable and quite possibly terrified out of my mind I relented. If I had it my way we would have watched reruns of old human soaps and then by nine I would be safely tucked away in bed with three deadbolts securely in place. I am not very find of supes and supes do not seem to be fond of me. Maybe it's because I don't buy into any of their bullshit about equality or maybe it's just because I am one of the few humans whose fears are genuine.

Supes during the day are predictable, safe. Almost human if not for their dashing good looks and easily triggered temper one would not be able to tell.

Night supes were a different story.

I tensed, this is the time of night the streets are just dark enough and the moons just high enough supes get a buzz of power and become unpredictable, feral.

I kept my head down and let Monica shuffle us along the line to club Howl; a werewolf club naturally. the street was crowded with supes and a few hopeful human women hoping tonight they would discover they are supe mates. I certainly am not one of them, I am quite satisfied being unattached and independent; even if it is said the supernatural are wonderful lovers. Most younger supes are willing to hook up with humans but never long term relationships supes always have the thought of a mate in the back of their mind. The older the supe, the more conservative and feral they become. Lord help any human who has an old supe as mate they're ten times more animalistic than the newbies.

If I were to ever be a supes mate I wouldn't want an older than dirt supe, a human girl at my office found her mate and he was 110 years old. Of course he didn't look his age supes live for an indeterminable amount of time far longer than any human. He made her quit her job and even forced her to move in with him after only knowing him for a few days.

Monica brought my attention back to her by shrieking loudly at her own poorly thought out joke. I glanced up periodically to show I was paying attention to whatever Monica was saying, but a cold breeze reminded me of the dress Monica had convinced me to squeezed into, a skimpy little neon tank dress which made me feel cheap. I pulled at the hem trying to force it to become longer.

Monica swatted my hands away from the dress, saying "Charlotte, you look fabulous; I would never let my bestie look anything but fabulous." She emphasized "bestie" implying I was crazy to insult her fashion sense, I felt like a prostitute or better yet by the looks the other patrons were giving me I was meat hung up to dry.

She's always called me her "bestie" I think it is because she does not have anyone else, it is probably why we clicked. Her family is all deceased and I mean six feet under dead; not drink your blood dead, in these days you have to clarify a miscommunication can be insulting.

My family may as well be deceased; though technically I have a brother, Redford. His real name is Bobby, naturally his vampire blood mate thought Redford was more appropriate for his new lifestyle as her mate. After his mating and my refusal to move into a coven and become a snack all contact we had ceased.

In my opinion covens are like nudist colonies, parents cover their children’s eyes when they go by one and the elderly join them just to feel youthful albeit for the energizing euphoria vampires give their donors rather than an acceptance of their wrinkled bodies. He was the only immediate family I had left after World War Three.

Mom died during WWIII a measly attempt by us humans to be the superior race, it's not like I can blame the supes for her death, even if I'd like to. Supes didn't kill her, cancer did and a broken heart which never healed after Pops died when I was nine in a mining accident. The war ended three months after her passing, I was seventeen when the war started by the end of the war I was twenty three ready for a new beginning.

I was not able to graduate high school due to the war, the supes must of felt bad for human teens they made sure most had money for trade school. I was tired of being stuck in one place for too long with little to no change. The day after I graduated from secretary school I moved out of the little West Virginia coal mining town I'd grown up in and out of my Aunt Lily's trailer to the Windy City, Chicago.

It was easy to find a job since the war most humans were hesitant to work for a supe even if it was the same boss they had before the war. I now work as a secretary for a HR department or as they now like to call themselves HSR(Human and Supernatural Resources) in a large international business and trade company Heathrowe Inc. run by a wealthy Werewolf Heathrowe Mikael.

My feet hurt from the only heels I owned sliver sparkly heels which seem to make me wobble with every step. And I needed a nice strong drink; I've been stressed and have been working overtime lately my rent keeps going up due to humans wanting to move back into the city the fear from the war was ebbing, as in not just the freaks and the desperate.

I let out a breath of relief we had finally got to the front of the line the faster we get in the sooner I could go back to my apartment.

Monica stuck out her chest shamelessly flirted with the two gruff looking bouncers at the door who were clearly not interested but the high of her birthday seemed to make her feel invincible.
The bigger of the two bouncers whose tight black T-shirt barley contained his muscled chest screamed supe security and whose designer jeans would equal two months’ rent said he was paid handsomely for his job, definitely a supe.

Turned to me and took a deep breath too close to my face for comfort, his irises yellowing for brief second.Nothing came of the blatant sniff other than a curt "I.D"

Racialism seems trivial now that the supes have revealed themselves; a worse problem has formed since WWIII. specisim an entirely new word meaning the segregation of species due to type of specie. Specieism goes both ways human and supes.

There are supes who like being able to openly be their true selves, but see humans as second class worse than the scum between their toes. This bouncer clearly felt it about me, a quick jerk of his head indicating to the supes just behind us to pass by us into the club.

Adding for Monica's clearly confused benefit, "Human limit, wait" his words short and dismissive.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first installment there is more to come!!!
Audrey