Status: Completed.

Inevitable

Ten

Monday, April 1st, 2013.


10:02 AM


Matt woke up in the morning, thinking first of what he was going to do. Instead of taking a break on the off-day, he had something important to do. He wondered how and where he was going to tell Nazem. He wanted Naz to know what James did--and what Kathryn did, no matter how much it would hurt him. He needed to tell him.

He glanced at Kaitlynn who was still asleep, facing away from him. He smiled to himself as he put on a simple black shirt, looking at her as she slept peacefully. He buckled up a pair of blue jeans and slowly walked out of the bedroom, shutting it close, making sure she wouldn't wake up due to any noise he made.

Matt pulled out his phone and texted Naz, asking if he could go over to his place to talk in half an hour. Shortly after a minute, he received a text back from him which said 'Sure man'. Matt put on his jacket, grabbing his car keys and heading out. He got in his Mercedes and started driving out of the rich neighborhood, getting onto the main road. Every once in a while, he felt like he was swallowing giant lumps in his throat. He was nervous. He didn't know why. He was just scared to see how disappointed, upset and angry Nazem would be.

When he pulled into his best friend's driveway, he got out and walked up to the front door of his house. He rang the doorbell, waiting patiently in the cool Spring weather outside. He glanced at the snow chunks that had not fully melted yet on top of the dead grass. The door opened, shaking Matt out of his deep thought.

"Hey," Naz smiled, rubbing his head tiredly. He knew exactly why Matt came, and he had practically memorized the speech and what he would reply with.

"Morning," Matt stepped inside, as Naz closed the door behind him.

"Mornin'," Nazem yawned, and he lead him to the kitchen.

"Did I wake you up with the text?" Matt laughed, sitting on the one of the island stools.

"Nah, I'm just so tired." he responded, chuckling as well. "Do you want some orange juice or something?" he opened the fridge.

"Sure,"

As Nazem poured them two glasses of juice, Matt nervously fiddled with his fingers infront of him on the counter. He was still thinking about how to bring up the topic. If he told him that it was James, he knew it would ruin the possible chemistry and teammate relationship James and Naz had on the ice, and the friendship off the ice. They sat across from each other, drinking the orange juice.

"So, what's up? What did you wanna talk about?" Naz spoke casually.

Matt swallowed, not just the fruity liquid, but also the nerves. He breathed, inhaling, and building up the courage to say it. "There's something you need to know.."

"About..?"

"Kathryn."

"What about her?" Naz raised an eyebrow.

"She's..." he bit his bottom lip, and then exhaled. "She's cheating on you, man."

"What?" Nazem's eyebrows were now furrowed, in confusion, in disbelief, and most of all in frustration. He was prepared. Practice makes perfect, eh?

"And I know who the guy is.." he said slowly, precisely. "And so do you.. I.. I saw her and.. James kissing in the hallway on Saturday at McFlannigan's." Matt sighed carefully.

"Wow," Naz looked surprised. "It all makes sense now."

"What do you mean?"

"A couple days after we met, she told me about this guy that she dated for like two years in Philly.." Nazem explained. "So when they saw each other at the booth, I'm guessing that's why they were looking at each other like that.." he acted as if he was trying to solve the issue.

"Holy shit." Matt breathed.

"Yeah,"

"How are you, though?" Matt wanted to know if he felt betrayed.

"Honestly, I'm alright." he shrugged. "I get it, they have a history. We were only together for a few weeks."

"You're gonna talk to her about it, right?"

Nazem glanced at the counter, and then back up at him. "Of course, but I'm not mad."

"Jesus, you're tough, bro." Matt chuckled. "I don't think I could handle it if Kate ever did something like that."

Nazem laughed lightly, faking every bit of it. The mention of Kate and the words he just said made Naz want to run somewhere far away. Where he wouldn't feel the guilt. He missed Kaitlynn, he couldn't deny that, but he tried hard to force himself not to like her more than he already did. It would be the worst possible situation in the world if he fell in lo----

"Can I ask you something?" Matt placed the empty glass down on the counter again.

"Yeah, sure." Naz looked at him, while drinking his remaining orange juice.

"Do you think it's too soon for her to meet my parents, or for me to meet her sister?" he asked.

Nazem's stomach churned, flipping upside down. His skin crawled and his eye almost twitched. His mind begged him to ask him to repeat the sentence, in hopes of Matt not really saying what he thought he just said about her sister. But he knew he heard him right. He heard everything Matt said, loud and clear.

"I.. I dunno." Naz murmured.

"Is it bad that I don't even know her sister's name?" Matt questioned aloud, although it looked like he was asking himself. "The few times I've been over to Kate's place, her sister has been at work, so I never got to see her, y'know? But I think I'm gonna talk to Kaitlynn about possibly meeting her."

"Do you think, maybe, it's too soon?" Naz said cautiously.

"I just feel like if I wait any longer, we're taking things too slow." he told him.

"..True, I guess."

"Anyway, I don't know, I'll see," Matt stood up. "I should get going."

"Alright, thanks for telling me about James and Kath, though. I'm glad I can count on you." Nazem put his hands in his sweatpants' pockets.

"Of course," Matt said once he was in the door frame. "That's what best friends are for." he gave Naz another smile, before turning to his heel and heading down to the pathway to his car.

Nazem closed his eyes, praying for the nightmare to end, but when he opened them, it was still reality. He went back inside, closing the door, and plopping right down on the couch.

Matt pulled his car out of the driveway, feeling much better than he did an hour ago. When Matt was back on the main road, the sun was shimmering and the wind had calmed down. While tapping the rim of the steering wheel once he was stopped at a red light, he noticed the nearby Starbucks.

He stepped on the gas when the light changed to green, and switched lanes. He turned the car, arriving into the small parking lot of the coffee shop. Stepping out, he shut the car door behind him and walked towards the entrance. Once he entered, he felt a cool breeze and the smell of fresh coffee. It was definitely what he needed.

He was the third person in line. At the front of the line, was a middle aged man who was ordering. In front of Matt, was a tall girl speaking on the phone--although she was still shorter than him, she was around the same height as Kaitlynn. She was carrying a brown purse, and had straight black hair which rested on her shoulders. She was quiet, but he was close enough in the line to hear her when she was speaking.

The familiar voice. Once it grew just a bit louder, he knew. Kathryn. He sighed uncomfortably, not knowing how to feel. Even though Nazem was practically okay with what she did, Matt wasn't sure if he was alright with it. He understood that she and James had been together for a long time, but it didn't mean it was right for Kathryn to not tell Nazem right away about what happened at the bar.

The man at the front thanked the lady, and headed out the door with an iced coffee in one hand. Kathryn was next, as she had ended the phone conversation and headed up to the cashier. Matt caught a better look of her face as she looked up at the drink options on the boards. She paid and waited to receive her coffee.

Matt wasn't close enough to hear what they were saying, but he knew the woman was asking for Kathryn's name, so she could write it on the cup. Matt glanced at the signs on the walls for the brief moment, but the cup caught his eyes in time. Just in time.

As she put her wallet back in her purse, his eyes were glued onto the name that was written with a black felt. It was clear, and the writing was unmistakeable.

Claire

Before he could even move, her fingers wrapped around the cup, and she walked toward the other entrance door. Kathrynn--Claire--she, left Starbucks. Matt blinked twice, hearing the lady at the counter call out, "Next please!"

He quickly ordered a Frappuccino. He took the bottle, walking out of the coffee shop. He hurried to his car, fiddling with the keys in his pocket. He was confused. His hands were shaking, and he was having troubles trying to slide the key into the hole. The car finally turned on, and he drove out.

Once he arrived home, he opened the front door and took off his shoes. He placed his keys and Frappuccino on the kitchen counter. Matt was still trying hard to gather his thoughts about what he saw. He didn't know if she just faked her name for simply no reason at all-- because it's just Starbucks-- or if it was really her name. His head was pounding from all the information he got in one morning.

"Good morning," Kate smiled, sitting on the couch with a cup of tea cuddled between her palms. She was cross-legged under a blanket, watching a show on the flat screen.

"Hey, look who's finally up." he sat down beside her, kissing her lips gently, and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Did you sleep well?" she asked.

"Yeah," he replied pulling her closer to him, so that the side of her head was against his. "I kind of wanted to ask you something."

"Okay, what is it?" Kaitlynn sipped her hot tea.

"We've been together for a month and I just feel weird not knowing anything about your family, you know? I want you to meet my parents soon." he smiled lightly.

"You're right, and that sounds good." she licked her lips. "We would have to go to Edmonton if you want to meet my folks eventually."

"Alright," he pecked his lips on her right temple. "What about your sister? I asked Naz and he said it's true that maybe we're going too slow.."

"Uh, yeah she's always busy with teaching and stuff. I guess that's why you've never gotten to meet her." she chuckled, laughing slightly. Suddenly feeling nervous. Naz....what the fuck...

"That makes sense." he said. "What's her name?" he rubbed his hand on her brown wavy hair in a soothing motion, as her head laid softly on his upper chest near his shoulder.

She swallowed first, and then answered. "Claire."

He stopped rubbing her hair gently. He paused, and stared at the rug, alert.

Claire
♠ ♠ ♠
so sorry it took so long but finally the story is moving forward. It's going to get even more confusing, so stay tuned, and i'll update faster. I'm really behind, as this chapter is on April 1st and right now it's actually May 3rd, so... Anyway, comment! Go Leafs Go!