Status: Completed.

Inevitable

Eleven

12:34 PM


"So, you hungry?" Kaitlynn asked, changing the topic after the uncomfortable silence that had taken place.

"Yes," Matt sighed and rubbed his stomach.

She escaped from his embrace, and stood up, walking towards the kitchen. Kate opened the refrigerator and peeked her head closer inside, looking at the food items. She thought about making them some omelets, or french-toast, or bacon and scrambled eggs, or even preparing grilled cheese sandwiches with cucumbers on the side. She opened the package of large brown eggs, and counted. Five.. Seven.. Eight. She bit her bottom lip.

Matt was still in the living room, and without a second thought, she closed the fridge door shut.

"There's no more eggs," Kate walked beside the coffee table.

"Oh," Matt turned his eyes away from the TV.

"I think I'm gonna head over to the store and get some," she picked up the purse that was down next to the couch, and dug for her keys.

"No, that should be my job, don't worry." he said, about to stand up.

"It's okay," she put her hand on his shoulder as he sat back down. "I've got this, you can relax and enjoy your day off for once."

He returned the smile, and kissed her softly. She put her purse over her shoulder, and he followed her to the door. "I'll be back soon." she spoke.

"Alright, call me if you get lost." he teased.

She laughed and waved goodbye, before walking out the door. Kate stepped inside her car and quickly drove out of his driveway. Turning on the radio, listening to the first song that was already on: 'Nightmare' by Guards.

-


Matt sat back down on the couch, sighing, not knowing what to do. TSN was reviewing the same highlights, and there was nothing else on TV that was considered good. He flipped the remote upside down, right side up, and then down again. Matt glanced at the clock, and then rolled his head back on the sofa in boredom.

He got up, and made his way over to the kitchen. He looked into the storage cabinet, at all the chips, crackers, chocolate bars and other snacks. There's nothing to eat. He wanted to wait for Kate to come back so they could have lunch, but he thought munching on something wouldn't hurt. While scratching his neck, he opened the fridge door with his other hand. The cool breeze made him let out a breath of relaxation, but it then quickly made him shiver.

Matt reached for the cold Iced Tea beside the milk jug, and then glanced at the package of eggs after picking up the can. He looked down at the bold NESTEA writing, and knew it was exactly what he needed after the morning he had. It was all too much information for just a couple of hours. Right before closing the fridge, the cardboard package caught his eye again. He could see through its holes.

He left the can on the rack, picked up the box, and opened it. Eight brown eggs. Matt closed it and put it back in the same spot. He was confused, once more. He wondered if Kate had just simply missed it by accident. She had been at his house multiple times, but he guessed that maybe she just wasn't familiar with everything.

He shrugged and handled the can of Iced Tea, before shutting the fridge door. After Matt drank it quickly in less than ten minutes, he found himself biting his nails.

He was thinking.

He needed to talk to him. He was still confused about what happened at Starbucks. Things seemed to be making no sense, at all. Matt grabbed his keys, jolting out the door, and into his expensive car.

-


Kate was tapping her steering wheel at the red light. She made it to the 4-way intersection, and she could have taken the left turn to the closest Safeway. Instead, she drove straight. While listening to the catchy music, she continued driving to the destination that needed to be reached. She had to solve this.

Oh it's hot,
Feels like a nightmare,
Oh it's hot,
Yeah it's hot there,
Nobody knows,
Oh it's hot,
Yeah it's hot there,
Oh it's hot,
Feels like a nightmare..


She parked the car beside the black Audi, stepping outside and looking at the familiar garage doors, and stone covered house which she first thought was a mansion. But, time had passed, and she knew this place held many memories. She breathed in, knowing she couldn't turn back now, and that she needed to let out all of her anger and thoughts.

Kate rushed up to the front door, knocking four times. She waited. When it opened, her heart skipped a beat. Forgetting how to breathe, how to blink, or even how to think.

Nazem looked at her without speaking. He hadn't expected to see her after the fight they had. After what he said to her. He swallowed hard, already getting lost in his own mind. As soon as he opened his mouth to say a few words, she invited herself inside furiously. She wasn't gentle anymore, she seemed angry.

"Come in?" he said aloud, once she had already entered. He closed his front door and turned around to see her nowhere. He glanced around, and then peered his head into the kitchen. She stood there, with her arms crossed, leaning against the counter.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Kate spoke.

"What?"

"Oh, so now you're gonna pretend like you don't know what you said to Matt this morning?" she mocked, angrily, clearly pissed off.

Nazem sighed and stared at the ground. "All I said was--"

"Why did you tell him that it's true that me and him are taking things too slow? You want him to meet my sister?" she asked quickly, her voice raising louder. "Are you kidding me? Are you fucking kidding me? My sister!?"

"I said no at first, but if I said it again, I was scared that he'd get suspicious!" Naz defended himself, now leaning back against the counter across from her.

"I can't believe you did that," she shook her head. "What am I supposed to do!? Claire is Kathryn and Kathryn is Claire. I won't get anyone to act like my sister--which is your fake girlfriend, and James' real one!" she threw the facts at him. It had gotten so complicating, that she had to even remind herself aloud about everything sometimes.

He rubbed his forehead. He was stressed out. The past month and a half was too much. Too hard to handle, too risky, too dangerous, too confusing.

"You can't just tell him that!" she continued. "If I go down, you're going down with me."

"It will all work out." he assured her. He tried to hold himself back from saying what could ruin everything. He had the deepest secret of all. It haunted him. She didn't know, and he knew it was best if she didn't. He wanted to say it badly, just to shut her up, and hold her. If you do tell her, this nightmare will never end..

"How?" she looked up at him. "You don't even want to do this anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"You practically ended it between us the other day." her voice cracked slightly.

"This whole thing is a wreck, Kaitlynn." he said firmly.

Tell her the truth.

"I should have known better." she said quietly. Her tone had grown weak.

"You went back to your boyfriend." he responded. The same words she last said to him after the fight.

"Why did you let me go to him?" she replied fast. So fast, that she yelled it. She was impatient, standing in front of him, wanting to scream and kick and punch and then just drop down.

Because you're everything I want but can't have..

"I told you, I felt guilty for doing this to him." he answered.

"Why the sudden change?" Kate almost yelled. "We were fine before!"

"People change." Feelings change.

"I just don't get it," she breathed, clenching her fists. "You said you don't regret the time you've spent with me, so why are you being such an asshole?"

"You know you want to be with Matt." he shot back.

"No I don't!" she fought. "Why did you change your mind about us!?"

"It's for the best," he sighed.

"For who!?"

"All of us."

"Why are you doing th--"

"Because I'm fucking falling in love with you!" Nazem yelled. He admitted it, and lost the battle. The last breath he exhaled was full of defeat. He lost. Good game.

Silence. Kaitlynn's mouth closed, so quickly, as an immediate reaction. They stayed quiet. Blinking once after ten seconds, swallowing whenever they had to. Her fists had unclenched. His eyebrows had unfurrowed. They were so silent, that a blind man would not sense they were there. They were frozen.

It was then, that Nazem had realized what he had done. His mind and thoughts had overcome him. He spilled it. The one thought that would now float forever in the air, slapping him in the face whenever he'd look at her. He'd never be able to look at her the same way.

She removed her hands from the tiles on the counter. Kate counted the six steps she had to take. Six steps and she would be closer to him. Five more steps and she could reach for him. Four, and she would be able to smell his cologne.

Three steps and she could touch him. Two, and she could feel safe again.

One more, and she was standing just an inch from him.

She put her hand on his chest, sliding her hand up to his collar bone, reaching it around his neck. She went on her toes, climbing closer to his face. She could feel his breath meeting with hers in the last bit of space between them. She felt Nazem's arms gently and softly go behind her back, holding her tenderly.

"I love you too." she whispered.

They looked at each other's eyes, down at each other's lips, and back up once more. It was a blank stare from any view, but it held every emotion. All the doubts were wiped away.

Naz brought one of his hands up to her cheek, rubbing his thumb along her cheekbone. They moved carefully and slowly. He kissed her. She responded by cooperating, not turning back, or ever wanting to turn back. There was no lust or sexual desire. It was meaningful and long. And so they kissed again.

-


Matt glanced up at the house when he parked his car. He sighed nervously, already forgetting what he was going to say. He had practiced his speech for the whole twenty minute drive. Twice in one day, he had to deal with something that needed a prepared conversation.

It had been bugging him for the entire morning. Matt stepped out of the car, shutting the door. He walked up the pathway to the front white door. After raining the doorbell, he folded his arms across his chest, waiting. He waited almost half a minute, but there was no answer.

He rang it again. Just as he was about to turn around and leave, the door cracked open. His eyes were glued to her.

She rubbed her bare leg against her other. Her black hair was straight, but a bit messy, like she had just woken up from a certain type of event. Even though he had seen her at the coffee shop earlier, she looked like she had been busy. But except this wasn't her house, and that was too big to be her 'Maple Leafs Since 1917' sweatshirt, which rested just above her thighs.

"Oh, hello." he said before she could be the first to say anything. His voice did not have a hint of surprise, it was just flat out. He gave her a slight nod, which made her swallow hard.

There was some noise behind her, like someone was hurrying their way down the stairs and to the front door. "Claire, who is it?" he called out, but only shortly after, he reached the door frame.

James froze, and Claire stared at the ground uncomfortably. Matt blinked twice, with his mouth closed, expression cold. He looked at both of them, and he wondered if they knew what he was going to say next.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guards- Nightmare. ;)

Check out my new story written for a contest: Right Time- Cody Franson. Chapters are still unposted, but subscribe if you're interested!