Unexpected

1/1

I was always one of those quiet people. Not necessarily shy but just simply quiet. I liked the idea of being solitude, and I've lived to that ever since the eighth grade. People found that trait of mine immensely intriguing enough to poke around my life and probe questions to get to know me better. I didn't mind the interaction —in fact, I enjoyed it. However, someone like me with this attribute forms boundaries, so it was beyond surprising when Gavin Hound, my town's star 'it' boy, asked me to attend as his date to the annual dance hosted by our very own mayor. Of course, I said yes —after getting over the initial shock, that is.

That was two weeks ago. Right now, I was wiggling into one of my mom's dress. The garment seemed to fit my body portions perfectly. It was as if the dress was made for me. I had taken a shower in the morning when I woke up but decided to take one again. My blonde curls cascaded down my shoulders in random waves. I hardly put on makeup but since this was a yearly event, it was only appropriate to smudge some on. Not too much, though.

Mom's voice drifted to my room from the stairs. "Faith!"

"Yeah?" I called back.

"Gavin is here!"

"Alright, thanks!" After quickly slipping on a pair of beige pumps and cream-coloured accessory, I strolled down the stairs. In the foyer, Gavin stood in all his glory and smiled at my dad's rambling. Good God, he looked handsome.

"Hey, Faith," Gavin said. "You look really good."

A light blush crept its way on my cheeks. "Thank you."

"Her curfew is midnight. I expect her to be in the same condition as she is in now." Whether my dad was threatening Gavin or simply doing it for the sake of entertainment, I would never ever know.

"Sure thing, Mr. Dawson," my date promised. With a farewell, I climbed into Gavin's truck and we were off to the banquet hall where the ball-slash-dance was held.

§|§|§

"Look at that," I said, awed. If the townsfolk had made the outside of the hall this dazzling, I could bet my entire piggy bank that the inside was beyond imaginable. "It's beautiful."

"You're beautiful." Gavin placed his hand on my back and kissed my head. This was why I was undeniably in love with him —even though they only started dating a little over two weeks ago. "Come on. Let's not keep them waiting," he winked.

The little breeze nipped at my exposed arms, giving me an excuse to snuggle closer to Gavin. His hand went up and down my bare arm, but he stopped when we stepped inside the hall. My eyes widened with astonishment. I had never seen anything quite as exquisite as the room in front of me.

Spotlights were drilled in the walls, shooting light in random directions from the sides. Transparent drapes hung loosely on the ceiling, and they shone light with small fairy lights that followed the dips of the drapes. The girls' dresses sparkled like jewels whenever the light hit their gowns. Everyone had a little sparkle in their eyes as they danced, chatted, and laughed. It was stunning.

I felt Gavin's grip loosen from my waist as his friends pulled him away. He did some sort of gesture with his hands that I couldn't decipher. Deciding it was better to follow him than hunt for my friends, I followed him. However, I lost him. People pushed and swayed side to side to the rhythmic music. Hands touched my body in awkward places but I ignored it and continued my quest to find my boyfriend.

"Dawson! Over here!" The melodic tone of my best friend, Kate, caught my attention. Familiar hands grabbed my wrist and before I knew it, I was moving in sync with Kate and the people around us. Adrenaline burst through my veins and intoxicated my senses. I never had such a rush by just dancing. I loved this feeling.

"Oh my gosh, I'm beat," Kate sighed exaggeratedly after an hour or so, peeling me friend away from the energy-filled dance floor. "I don't want to get this dress all sweaty and icky. It's too pretty for that."

"But we were having so much fun!" I pouted.

"Sorry," she shrugged. "I need to pee."

"You're so straightforward," I laughed, following her to the bathrooms.

While Kate was still doing her business in the stall, I told her I was going to get a drink of water. Ten steps later, I heard my name.

"Are you seriously dating Faith Dawson?" Alice Meekis, the world's most narrow-minded girl, asked. "I swear she doesn't even talk!"

I heard Gavin answer her. "I'm only seeing her 'cause it's a dare." His next words killed me. "She's so ugly and filthy and horrible."

Water sprang to my eyes; a lump in my throat restricted any sound to come out. Emotions clashed inside my body, all battling each other to have power each other before settling on silent rage. My mind felt dizzy but then it came to an abrupt stop. He led me on. He lied. He lied about everything. I wanted to march up to him and demand he fix my suddenly aching heart. God, my heart hurt so much.

Someone tapped my shoulder and when I didn't turn around, a firm hand delicately grabbed my wrist. I didn't care to acknowledge who it was. I was too caught up in my thoughts to give a care. I was going to make Gavin pay for making me melt at his words and gestures. I was going to make him pay for letting him tell me he loved me. He was going to pay in the most excruciating manner.

"Are you going to scream or cry?" The person who held my wrist had me in the middle of the ballroom with his hands on my waist. I didn't even realize we were dancing to the soothing music. The guy was gorgeous. Much more than gorgeous, actually. Messy black hair crowned his head with long lashes roofing the most compelling brown eyes, and a strong build to finish the look. I shook my head and pulled away.

"Who are you?" My voice was thick. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry.

"Scream or cry?" He asked again. I didn't have time to answer his question because I locked eyes with Gavin. And he looked angry. Huh, what a great actor.

"Get your hands off my girlfriend," Gavin growled at the mysterious guy. Disgust, hatred, and betrayal filled me.

"I am not your girlfriend," I seethed through clenched teeth. "You don't get to call me that anymore."

"Faith, what are you talking about?" Gavin actually looked confused and hurt. I swear he should go to theatre school.

"For heaven's sake, I know that this," I gestured to the space between us, "was because of a dare!"

"A dare?"

Something in me snapped, and in the rudest, coldest voice I could manage, I said, "Don't play dumb, you prick. You lied to me. You are hardly anything but a cocky, immature, spoiled jock. Stay the hell out of my life."

I smacked my shoulder with his and walked out of the ballroom with anger still a growing flame in my body. The words I uttered were out of betrayal. Once I got home, I knew I would break down and drown myself in misery. No, I shook my head, I will be strong.

"Do you need a ride home?" The mysterious guy who witnessed my exchange with Gavin asked. I didn't notice he had followed me out.

"Who are you?" I asked instead.

He shrugged. "A concerned guy."

"Well, Mr. Concerned, I don't need a ride home, thank you very much. Now, excuse me."

"Wait!" He called after me. "You're heading to the forest!"

I ignored him, continuing my expedition to my safe haven: the forest. Little droplets of rain shot down from the night sky, staining the pavement with dark splatters. My mom was probably going to yell at me for ruining the dress but I didn't have it in me to give a care. I just wanted to be alone.

I was in the heart of the forest when the rain got worse. Taking shelter under a big tree, I rested my back on the trunk. I couldn't cry, not because I didn't want to, but because I just couldn't. Breathing became a tedious job and I ended up gasping for air. Nausea rolled in my stomach and I started dry heaving. How could a seemingly wonderful day turn into a heartbreaking disaster in only a matter of minutes?

I didn't know how long I was leaning against the rough tree trunk, shuddering with pain, when a pair of strong hands clutched my arm, leading me out of the forest. It was Mr. Concerned. I didn't want to speak to him, or anyone for that matter. I tried pulling away but his grip was too tight.

"Let go," I protested. When he didn't budge, I said, "You do realize this is an act of kidnapping."

"Kidnapping? Seriously?" He sounded amused.

"Yes," I said solemnly. "I don't know you and you don't know me, yet you are pulling me to who knows where." Various scenarios rolled in my head. With someone like him, anything was possible. Rape, physical abuse, or he could kill me and dump me in a dark alley.

"Listen," he paused to open the side of his door. I looked at him incredulously. If he thought I was getting in with him, he had a lot to hope for. "You seemed as if you were about to cry or explode so I thought I could distract you from whatever. That Gavin guy? He's a douchebag. Obviously, you loved him, seeing you're all dressed up. You don't deserve a useless tool like that."

Without meaning to, I slid into his car. His words shifted me. Hearing that Gavin was as low as the Earth's core spun something inside me. Gavin was the town's hero with big bags of cash and looks. He had people bowing down to him, and I had been one of those people; hypnotized by the sight of him and lulled by the sound of his sweet voice.

Mr. Concerned slipped into the driver's seat and asked, "Where to?"

I hesitated to tell him where I lived but immediately pushed that thought aside. Two strangers had a road of possibility in front of them, an adventure in front of them. "93 Roderick Drive."

My saviour revved up the engine, blasted the heater, and drove through the familiar streets. I still didn't know his name. "Who are you?" I must have asked that question at least a million times tonight.

"Hunter. You?"

"Faith."

"Well then, Faith, I'm happy to announce that this won't be the last time you see me," he grinned. I couldn't help but give a small laugh. Maybe this Hunter person wasn't so bad. Maybe he could help me through the tangled mess that had become my life. A tiny door of light cracked open in my heart at the thought. From here on now, I anticipated that I wasn't alone to get out of the dark, dingy place Gavin had thrown me in. Maybe, Hunter whatever-his-last-name-is, was going to guide me to the road of recovery.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this for Media Arts class and fell in love with it. Of course, I had to change a few words to make it school appropriate but otherwise it's the same.
Let me know what you think!