Status: discontinued. working on a new one.

Improbabil Dragoste

Chapter Seventeen

I stood there chatting with Shane for most of the day keeping watch over the barn when I saw Rick walking down from the house. He stood next to Shane looked like he was going to say something but just looked back at the house.
“What's it gonna be, man? Which way is this thing gonna go?”
“I don't know yet.”
“Well, what did he say?”
“We're negotiating.”
“You're nego--” Shane started but I interrupted, “There is nothing to talk about. Those chains have been holding but that will not stop the door from breaking off!” I said harshly. “This can not go now. Hershel is putting everyone in danger. If they got out and things get out of hand..” I tailed off.
“That barn is secure. We didn't even know about it until this morning.” Rick said trying to defend the barn.
“Well, we know about it now, right? We know there's over a dozen walkers in there. We know that it's about a stone's throw from our camp, Rick-- Where we sleep. So look, if we're not gonna go in there and clear it out then we just have got to go.” Shane said facing Rick.
“We're not gonna clear it out and we're not gonna go.”
“We at least need out guns.”
“We can't have them, not here.”
“Why do you want to stay here when it's not safe?” Shane asked hitting the tractor he leaned on.
“We can make it safe.”
“We can—How are we gonna do that?”
“We will, okay?”
“NO, man. It's not okay!” Shane yelled hitting the tractor.
“Shane, Lori's pregnant.”
Shane stopped and looked from me to Rick, “Cat, will you?”
“I need to. I need to leave.” I said awkwardly and walked away glad to see Daryl walking toward me.

When I got closer I saw he was holding onto his side, “Hey..Are you OK? What happened?”
“Nothing don't worry about it.” He brushed me off grabbing my arm and turning to walk toward the house pulling me with him.
“What's wrong?”
“Shut up.”
“Pulă.” Dick. I snap trying to yank my arm free.
We pulled my around to the side of the house and glanced inside the windows before pushing me up against the siding. I went to leave but he blocked me with his arm.
“What do you want?”
“Why are you sleeping with me?” He asked sternly looking me in the eye.
I was shocked not expecting that question and looked down at the space between us before answering, “I-- I mean. Îmi place de tine.” I whispered.
“Don't pull that on me!” He said hitting the siding making me jump.
“I like you! Okay?!” I yelled getting flustered, “Why are you bothered by it? I thought you knew the first time! You're so backwards!” I yelled ducking under his arm and running off.
What an idiot! He's acting like a child, nothing like the 'man' he pretended to be. I walked off and found Glenn sitting up top the R.V.
“Hey! Glenn?” I called up to him.
He stood up looking down at me, “Yeah?”
“Mind if I come up?”
“Oh no, not at all.”
I went around the back and started up the latter, “You can have the chair if you want,” Glenn offered.
“No I'll sit on the edge. It will be fine.” I said sitting down facing away from the chair where Glenn sat and looked off into the distance.
“You say woman are confusing but men are just the same.” I said not looking at him.
He didn't respond and I didn't say it for him for him to really respond just letting my thoughts out. I sat there for a while and saw Daryl walk off with Carol toward the small lake, I think. I started to feel anger rise up inside seeing him walking with Carol off by themselves some where.
I saw Maggie start to come walking down the road with a basket and Glenn quickly stood, “Cat can you hold watch for me?”
“Yeah,” I said quickly as he nearly jumped straight down off the van.
I turned around careful about not stepping or hitting the gun and sat down in the blue chair Glenn offered me earlier and tried not to look at Glenn talking to Maggie too much. I looked over when she called Glenn 'walker bait' but away quickly when she started to get real close to his face.
They both walked off to where Lori and Carl sat on the porch and I saw Andrea and T-Dog walking up to them, followed by Daryl and Carol. It looked like they were having a discussion all of them looking confused. I could hear Daryl start to raise his voice and turned to point in my direction to where he had found the doll. I saw him linger a moment noticing I was sitting up here but then quickly got distracted upon seeing Shane walk up holding the gun bag.
I saw him hand a rifle over to Daryl then to everyone else, causing me to quickly jump up and climb down the latter and run over to them, making sure to grab the gun that was up there.
“What is happening?” I asked catching my breath.
“Look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe but now we know it ain't. How about you, man? You gonna protect yours?” Shane started to say grabbing the rifle from me and handing it in Glenn's direction.
Glenn glanced at Maggie for only a moment before grabbing the gun, “That's it. Can you shoot?” Shane asked him.
“Can you stop? You do this, you hand out these guns, my dad will make you leave tonight.” Maggie said sternly.
“We have to stay Shane,” Carl said walking down off the porch toward him.
“What is this?” Lori asked walking quickly off the porch to stop next to Carl.
“We ain't going anywhere, okay? Now look, Hershel, he's just gotta understand. Okay? He-- Well, he's gonna have to. Now we need to find Sophia. Am I right?” Shane walked over pulling up his pants before kneeling down in front of Carol. “Huh? Now I want you to take this. You take it Carl, and you keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes.” Shane demanded holding a pistol out to him.
Lori quickly stepped up pushing her son back, “Rick said no guns. This is not your call. This is not your decision to make.”
“Oh shit.” T-Dog said looking off.
We followed his gaze and saw Rick, and Hershel leading too walkers with poles and the boy was leading them into the farm. Shane stepped forward first and then started running toward them as did the rest of us.
Shane broke through the gate yelling, “What the hell are you doing?!”
“Shane, just back off.”
“Why do your people have guns?” Hershel asked trying to keep ahold of the walker.
“Are you kidding me? You see? You see what they're holding into?” Shane yelled circling around both Rick and Hershel.
“I see how I'm holding onto.” Hershel corrected.
“No, man, you don't.”
“Shane, just let us do this and then we can talk.” Rick tried to negotiate.
“What you want to talk about Rick? These things ain't sick. They are not people. They're dead. Ain't gonna feel nothing for them. 'Cause all they do, they kill! These things right here!”
As things got more heated I pulled out my pick stepping in front of the others who didn't have a weapon watching the walkers carefully.
“They are the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis. They're gonna kill all of us!”
“Shane, shut up!” Rick yelled.
“Hey, Hershel man, let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person, could they walk away from this?” Shane asked cocking his gun and pointing it at the walker Hershel held.
The gunshot rang out and Rick yelled 'No!' only after the bullet made contact.
“Stop it!”
“That's three rounds in the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why is it still coming?” He shot two more times, “That's its heart, its lungs, why is it still coming?”
“Shane enough!”
“Yeah, you're right, man. This is enough.” Shane agreed walking over to the walker and shooting it point blank in the head. Hershel still held onto the pole as it fell to the ground.
We all watched in silence not sure how to act, Hershel fell to the ground no longer holding onto the pole.
“Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us. Enough! Rick, it ain't like it was before! Now if y'all want to live, if you want to survive, you gotta fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now!”
Shane started to run at the barn and we all knew what he was going to do. I yelled out running after him but I only succeed in giving him a weapon because he reached back grabbing a hold of my pick ripping it from my hands and pushing my back. I fell to the ground watching him hit the locks trying to break them open and I could hear Rick yelling at Hershel to take the pole from him. Then everything slowed down as Shane broke the locks and removed the board keeping the gate closed throwing it to the side and banging on the door, “Come on. Come on, we're out here.” Shane stepped back pulling out his pistol getting ready for them.
I started to scramble back right as I saw the first walker started to appear and I felt my shirt being pulled up with me with it and I stood but was soon thrown to the side stumbling and saw Daryl move passed me repointing his weapon at the barn.
Andrea ran up next to Shane gun ready along with anyone else holding a gun. Then the gunfire started. The walkers were being put down as quickly as they were coming out. In the middle of it Shane looked back and finally shot the walker Rick still had a hold of, Rick just let him fall.
There was nothing to be done, Maggie was consoling her father Patricia and Beth just held each other and cried watching everyone killing the walkers.
Finally it seemed all the walkers were killed as they slowly stopped coming out of the barn and everyone lowered their guns. I started to walk over but then a quiet growl started to come from the barn and the doors moved a little and a figure started to appear and finally we saw her.
“Sophia!” Carol yelled and started to run for her but was grabbed by Daryl.
Everyone was in shock only hearing Carols soft sobs as she laid on the ground with Daryl holding onto her. No one knew what to do. I looked at them and they didn't have the courage. Lori and Carl were crying and Lori was whispering to him not to look. Then Rick started to walk over to her with a stern look. He pulled out his gun and aimed it at her, she walked closer to him before he finally pulled the trigger. Carol had her arms laid out in front of her and was sobbing into the ground. Everyone was looking at Carol as Daryl was helping her up, “Don't look, don't look.”
Carol pushed free of him and hurried away form the group. No one followed her. The boy was comforting Beth as Patricia stood there just looking at the bodies. Hershel, well he just knelt there covering his mouth with both his hands looking at his wife’s body. Beth ran over, not bothering with Rick who tried to stop her, and looked at the bodies for a second before locating her mother. She pushed a body off her and turned her mother around crying over her but then her mother reached up and grabbed a hold of her. Screaming, Beth tried to pull away, we all ran over getting her away from the walker it took all of us to pull her away from her mother who had a firm grip of her. T-Dog started to stomp on her head ineffectively so I ran over picking up my pickaxe and turned over quickly cutting through the back of her skull. Beth, who continued to cry, was lead away by Hershel and Patricia but was followed by Rick and Shane.
“We've been out we've been combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along?” Shane asked.
“Hey just leave us alone.” Maggie demeaned.
Rick tried to grab hold of Shane but he quickly yanked away, “Get your hands off me.”
I didn't hear the rest. The more I looked at Sophia's body and anger I became. Daryl almost got himself killed looking for her and she was in the barn the whole time.
My distorted in anger and I reached into my holster pulling out a knife and throwing it into the barn creating a thud as it stuck into the wood and stayed there. I kicked the ground roughly kicking up dirt before retrieving my knife and walking off to the camp.