What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces ?

Scream Into the Dark

My phone rang with Chesney’s specialized ringtone, and I rolled over and groaned. I looked at the time, it was three in the morning. I jumped up, if it was so early, then it must be important. I answered the phone- “Ches ?” All I could hear was labored breathing on the other end, and then her voice “Vic ! Vic…I need help ! Help me. Vic…please.” She pleaded with me on the other end, sounding like she was choking. I was out the door running as soon as she said the first help.
I burst through her front door, and I could see the kitchen light on. Her back was to me, and she was sitting on the floor in the middle of the kitchen. I ran up to her, sliding on my knees. I could hear her breathing heavily, and I slowly turned her to face me. Her expression was one of terror, and she was white as anything. “Ches ?!” I asked in a shrill voice. “Panic….attack…” She stuttered out. I jumped up to go get her medicine, but she grabbed my arm. “Don’t-*breath*- leave me.” She begged. I swiftly picked her up and carried her with me, setting her on the counter in the bathroom. I hurriedly got her pills out and helped her take them. I placed my hands on either side of her face, putting my forehead against hers. “Close your eyes, babe.” She complied. “Now breathe.” She started to slow her breathing, and I picked her up and carried her to bed. “No...” She whimpered. “I don’t wanna go back in there.” I knew she would eventually explain what that meant, so I carried her small form all the way to my house. She was still trying to control her breathing, and I brought her to my room and put her under the covers. “Light on or off ?” I asked. “Off…” She told me softly. I climbed into bed with her, holding her close. I softly sang to her, and I felt her relax as she cuddled into my side. She fell asleep safe in my arms, and I stayed awake all night to make sure she would be okay.

I woke up in the morning to the smell of breakfast- Jaime must have been cooking. I looked at Chesney; she was still dead asleep. I climbed carefully out of bed as not to wake her. I paused in the doorway of my room, taking in her still form. Her hair was spread out over the pillow, and she looked so peaceful, like a little girl. I smiled, then headed into the kitchen. I sat down to breakfast, preoccupied with thoughts of the previous night. What could have caused such a severe panic attack ? She hadn’t had one in so long…

Chesney’s POV

I shot out of bed, I had had another nightmare. It was a bad one, and after not having one for so long, it was even more upsetting. My breathing wouldn’t slow down, and before I knew it, I was having a full-on panic attack. The attack was one of the worst I’d ever had, it was definitely full force. My mind was racing along with my heart, and I couldn’t get enough air in. I started to crawl out of the room, trying to make it to Vic’s house. I reached the kitchen when I realized I would never make it that far, and I shakily dialed his number. I needed him before I passed out from lack of oxygen…. He answered and I could tell in his voice he knew something was wrong. I pleaded for him to come help me, and he was there in less than thirty seconds. He busted through the door and right over to me. He turned me to face him, and I saw the panic in his eyes, mirroring my own. He was desperate for an answer, and I forced the words out. “Panic…attack.” I saw understanding in his eyes, and he leapt up to get my meds. I grabbed his arm, afraid to be left alone. “Don’t leave me.” I gasped out, and he simply took me with him. He set me on the bathroom counter and fumbled through the cabinet for my meds. He helped me take my pills, and then he put his hands on either side of my head. He rested his forehead against mine, “Close your eyes, babe. Now breathe.” He told me in a calm voice. I complied, and tried to focus on my breathing. He lifted me up again, and started towards the bedroom. I begged him not to take me back in there, because I was afraid; after all, that’s where I’d had my nightmare. He didn’t question me, and he carried me all the way back to his house in the dark.
He took me straight to his bedroom, and tucked me into his bed. He held me close and wrapped his arms around me, singing softly to me. He kissed my head, and I began to relax. I drifted off to sleep knowing that I was safe, and if I wasn’t, then I’d be content to die in his arms.

I shifted slightly, and I couldn’t feel Vic’s arms around me. Must be morning…I thought. I was too tired to do anything but go back to sleep, so that’s what I did. When I woke up I don’t know how much later, I could smell lunch cooking. I stretched and got up, looking at myself and blushing. I was wearing a sports bra and a skimpy tank top and shorts as short as underwear. I hoped Vic had been the only one to see me… I rifled through his closet until I found an oversized sweatshirt to pull over my clothes. The sleeves were way to long on me, but at least it covered me up. I shuffled sleepily into the kitchen, rubbing my eyes. Tony and Jaime were playing video games in the living room, and Mike and Vic were making grilled cheese together. I sat at the table, watching Vic and Mike joke around and have fun together. Vic turned and saw me, smiling widely. He picked me up and spun me around in a huge hug, and I giggled. “Vic is in a ridiculously good mood today,” Mike informed me without turning around. I shrugged, “I can see that.” He looked into my eyes and smiled widely, and I swear I could see everything he was feeling.

There was happiness there, and love, and wonder, and just pure bliss. This is what love looked like to me, in its truest form. When you don’t say anything, but you just know. You feel it.