What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces ?

You’re Leaving Me Just When I Thought You Were Mine

Vic’s POV

Time stopped. There was no sound and no movement. Just…nothing. And then my words shattered the silence, and with it, two hearts.

“I’m breaking up with you.”

Her expression was the most painful thing I had ever looked at. I watched her eyes, and it was as if I had just watched the life drain out of her, watched her soul get smashed, like I had just watched her every dream get snatched away. Her eyes were so devastated, so utterly hopeless it was like I was looking into hell.

It was truly an earth-shattering moment. I could almost hear her heart crumble into a million tiny facets that could never be put together again. It was then that I realized why she was dressed up so nicely-

She had thought I was going to propose to her.

Chesney’s POV

I immediately went numb. My blood started pounding in my ears. I couldn’t hear or feel anything, it was like my nerves had just stopped working. My senses failed, and my brain couldn’t process what had just happened. This was the love of my life. This wasn’t just some boyfriend. This was my soulmate, my reason for staying alive, my reason for waking up every morning, my motivation to do anything. It didn’t matter that we had only been together only a little over two months. Time is irrelevant when you find your one true love. This wasn’t a fairytale, it was life. And it was painfully real.

It was no longer a dream, instead it was a nightmare from which I would never wake up.

Vic’s POV

She didn’t say anything, but I felt the overwhelming urge to explain, to try and justify my actions, to try and salvage just a little piece of her. To try and fix what I had just broken, even just a little. I spoke, and my voice was low and dry “I’m going on tour at the end of the summer, this house was just rented. I figured it was easier to break it off now, so we could both heal before I leave. Goodbye.” My voice cracked on the last word, and I swear it echoed around the room, chilling me until I could no longer bear it. I turned around, and walked out the door for the last time.
As I walked by, every single candle blew out, one by one.

Chesney’s POV

His gaze never left my eyes, and his voice broke the silence once again “I’m going on tour at the end of the summer, this house was just rented. I figured it was easier to break it off now, so we could both heal before I leave. Goodbye.” I would never forget those exact words, and the way he said them. He said it like he was distanced from it, like he was just reciting lines; there was no emotion behind them, no sign that he actually cared. No sign that he was actually even hurting. The word goodbye etched itself in my head as he turned around to leave, and I watched him go. Every candle blew out as he left, just more proof that he brought light to my life. My only source of brightness just walked out the door, and I was left in the cold, dark, empty place of living like a shell.

I didn’t move for hours; I didn’t cry, I didn’t scream, I didn’t even flinch. I just sat on the edge of my bed, all dolled up. I had thought at the end of this night I would have a fiancée.

When the last of the light had long since faded from outside, I simply turned and crawled into bed; dress, makeup and all. I didn’t make any sound. I didn’t cry. I didn’t move at all.

I stayed there for the next two days.

Vic’s POV

I walked home in silence, entered the house, and went straight to my room. The guys knew I would be upset, so they didn’t bother me. I kept replaying our last kiss over and over in my mind, and then her expression when the words had left my mouth. I desperately hoped that I had made the right decision, I mean I knew that I was going to have to break up with her before I went on tour; I had been through trying to make that work before, and it just didn’t. It was easier this way. I hoped three weeks was enough time for me to clear my head before we left.

I stared at the ceiling for hours, my mind blank. Everything felt wrong now, I didn’t even know what to do with myself. It was going to be hard to get up in front of all those people and sing about her now that she was gone.

She was gone.

“She’s gone.” That phrase just kept rolling around in my head, haunting me.
Under the cover of darkness, people do things they’d never do under the harsh glare of day. Decisions feel wiser. People feel bolder. But when the sun rises, you have to take responsibility for what you did in the dark. And face yourself under the cold, harsh light of day.

Chesney’s POV

I guess you never think the last time is the last time, you think there’ll be more,
you think you have forever but you don’t.

They say you never know the biggest day of your life is the biggest day. Not until it’s happening, not until you’re right in the middle of it. The day you commit to something or someone, the day you get your heart broken. The day you meet your soul mate, the day you realize there’s not enough time because you want to live forever.

We spend our whole lives worrying about the future; planning the future, trying to predict the future, as if figuring it out will somehow cushion the blow. But, the future is always changing, the home of our deepest fears and wildest dreams. There’s one thing for certain- the future is never the way we imagined it.

It’s just a little bit horrifying how quickly everything can fall to crap. In the face of what we can lose in an instant, we wonder- how the hell do we hold this all together ?
♠ ♠ ♠
*sorry the chapter skips to both their points of view so much !