What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces ?

Darling You’ll be Okay

Vic’s POV

Time seemed to slow down, and my body twisted at a strange angle as it hit the front of the vehicle, then flew up in the air. But what goes up, must come down.

My body thudded against the concrete a few feet in front of the SUV that had just hit me. I laid my head down on the ground, too dizzy to keep it up. My vision blurred, and some guy was standing over me “Dude, are you okay ?” Someone nearby was frantically calling an ambulance, and soon my head was filled with nothing but the lyrics to Yeah Boy and Doll face.

The wail of ambulance sirens is almost hauntingly beautiful. A life could be ending, or it could be being saved. A second chance, or one last shot. I wasn’t sure which position I’d rather be in right now.

Soon hands were working over me, putting my head in a straight position, wrapping a neckbrace around me. One paramedic looked at me, asking me questions like “Sir, can you tell me your name ?” I looked back at him, but I didn’t answer, I just kept mumbling song lyrics.

They lifted me onto a stretcher and strapped me on. I began to panic, I didn’t have anyone with me to help me. I struggled, my anxiety rising with each passing second. The medic must have given me sedatives, because the world slowly faded away.

All I could feel was the rocking movement of the ambulance and the dull ache in my ribs.
I woke up to a weird beeping sound, and I jerked up. Thoughts of previous events flooded my mind, and I realized what had happened. I looked down at myself, I looked relatively unharmed. My shirt was off and a few ribs were taped up, and I felt a lump on my head, but I seemed fine. I pressed the call button and talked with a doctor, and twenty minutes later I was out of there.

I limped to a cab, a lot more cautiously this time. The cab driver started the way to Chesney’s house.

Chesney’s POV

My phone buzzed, and I looked at the screen- Shayla was calling me. She was yelling on the other hand, and it took me a few minutes to understand her. She had gotten tickets to an Of Mice and Men concert for us ! The concert was in a few hours, so I hurriedly got ready. It would be a half hour’s drive from here, just outside of South Carolina, barely into North Carolina. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail and applied light makeup, then threw on some jeans and band merch. Shayla pulled up in my driveway, somehow in her stolen car. I would have to ask her about that on the way there.
I rolled the window down and sang along to the radio, reminiscing about how I had done the same thing when I had first rode into town. I felt genuinely happy; it seemed like this day might be a breakthrough for me.

Vic’s POV

It was two in the afternoon by now, and my phone had been blowing up with texts and calls from everyone. I finally had to turn it off just to get some peace. The drive would be half an hour to her house, and I was jumpy the whole time. “Coming back or just visiting ?” The driver asked me kindly. I shifted a little in my seat “I’m not sure yet.”

We pulled up to her house, and I flung the money at him and climbed out of the seat as fast as my injuries would allow me to. I slammed the door shut and speed-walked to her front door, my heart pumping so hard that I felt ready to pass out. I moved to the side of the door so she couldn’t see me through the glass, and pulled out my medication. I could feel an anxiety attack coming, and all I could think was “Not now.”

When I finally gathered my composure, I knocked hesitantly, then louder. I knocked periodically for five minutes, then looked inside. There was a lamp on, and her car was still in the driveway. I didn’t want to call out her name, because then she would know it was me and she might not answer the door. I tried the door and it was open. I pushed it open softly, then wandered around the house, it was now apparent that she wasn’t here.

Everything was pretty much the same, and I breathed in the familiarity. Now this felt like home.
I sat down on her couch, wondering where she could have gone. Obviously if she was out, she was fine without me…what if she was with another guy ? The thought made my spine stiffen, what if she brought him back to the house ? I contemplated on whether I should leave, but I just couldn’t bring myself to. I had abandoned a tour, my band, and my family for this. And I had come all this way….I had landed myself in the hospital for this.

Soon I was lost in my thoughts, until I heard a car pull up. It was almost five o’clock by now. I sat up straighter, wondering what I should do. I ended up just staying frozen on the couch, my eyes wide, half crouched as though I was going to get up and make a break for it. Technically I could grab my bag and slip out through the back door, but again, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I froze again when I heard Chesney’s voice- “Bye Shay ! I love you, that was amazing !” I relaxed a little, she had been with Shayla. She sounded happy…maybe I shouldn’t have come. It was too late for regrets, because she was awalking through the door.

Chesney’s POV

The concert was nothing short of amazing, and I had a great time. I was smiling like an idiot the entire time, and the whole way home. I didn’t care about how emaciated I looked in my tank top and tight jeans, and I didn’t care that my hair was sweaty and windblown all at once. I was carefree for once, and I wasn’t going to let anything ruin my high. Shay dropped me off, and I called back to her as she pulled out of the drive “ Goodbye Shay ! I love you, that was amazing !”

I pushed open my front door, I usually just left it unlocked because there was no one around to break in, and it was easier for me in case I had a bunch of stuff in my hands. I trotted to the bedroom and put my stuff away, and changed into a big hoodie and some leggings. The days were starting to become chilly, the early September weather fading into full-blown fall. I walked back into the living room, picking at a string on my sweater. A slight movement caught my eye, and I jumped back. My hand flew to my mouth, and I collapsed to my knees. I held my hand out- “D-don’t come any closer.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I couldn't update sooner !