What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces ?

Dizzy Dreamer

Shayla seemed to have hit it off with all the guys immediately, probably due to her good looks. She was tall and lean, with honey blonde hair and gorgeous amber eyes. She left after about fifteen minutes with Jaime to get some alcohol. That left me alone to fend for myself with Tony, Mike, and Vic. Out of the three of them, I noticed that Vic sat the closest to me. I kept feeling his eyes on me, but I wasn’t sure if I was just being paranoid. He spoke softly to me, explaining how him and Mike were brothers, and although Mike may look older, Vic was two years above him. Something about the way he spoke had me hanging onto every word; he had a great voice. Soon Tony and Mike were engaged in their own conversation, and Vic and I were in our own little world. He asked me personal questions, but when he said them he didn’t seem like he was prying, just curious. He seemed so intent when I talked, especially about my past, like about where I was from. I didn’t like admitting that I was from boring old Michigan, but I can’t change my past now, can I ? All of a sudden, Vic blurted “Do you have a boyfriend ?” He seemed as shocked as I was, and Tony and Mike turned around to gawk at us. Mike slapped Vic’s arm, and he blushed. “Uh, sorry.” He muttered, looking at the ground. Honestly, as good looking as Vic was, I didn’t care what he asked me. “No, no I don’t.” I said quietly, and he looked back up at me and met my gaze. He smiled a brilliant smile that lit up all of his features. I smiled back in response, and Shay showed up with the alcohol. I grabbed a Smirnoff and sat back down, stretching out contently. This night was getting better and better.

Everyone else seemed to notice the way me and Vic acted like we were in our own little bubble, so they tried to keep to themselves. I was grateful for that, I was hoping maybe Vic and I could turn into something more in the near future. Sure, I had just gotten out of a serious relationship, but that was over long before I ended it. I hadn’t thought to ask Vic if he was single, but judging from the way he was acting, I guessed he probably was, though how, I didn’t know. He really is great looking, I thought to myself. Talking with him was like talking with an old friend, nothing was forced, conversation flowed easily and without effort. Soon enough, Shay was plastered and ranting about going on a midnight swim. I checked the time, it really was nearing midnight. The guys had been over since around 7:30, so we had been talking for quite some time. I turned to Vic, and he shrugged. The other guys were already whipping off their shirts and running into the surf, having consumed quite the amount of alcohol themselves. “Should she really be swimming so drunk ?” I wondered aloud. Vic looked at me and replied “ The guys will take care of her, don’t worry.” He winked at me and I’m sure he saw my blush. I turned away as he began to strip, but secretly snuck looks at him. He had a nice body too, although he was very skinny. I opted to go inside and changed into an actual bikini. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and for once I looked and felt confident. I briefly wondered if Vic found me attractive at all, or if he was just naturally flirty. I shrugged off the thought and wandered back outside. Vic had waited for me on the beach.

Mike was tossing Shayla in the air, and Jaime and Tony were splashing each other carelessly. The night was beautiful and warm, and I looked at my new house proudly, admiring the patio decked out with lanterns that lit up the night. My view was interrupted as Vic slapped my knees from behind, knocking me horizontally and scooping me back up quickly. I let out a shocked yelp, and he just grinned and ran towards the water with me in his arms.

He looked into my eyes with his intense brown ones. “You really are a tiny little thing, aren’t you ?” He smirked and I nodded, mesmerized by his confidence. I may be twenty-five, but I look around seventeen, if that. I’m very short, around 5’3 and I guess what you would call petite. Not that Vic was much to talk about, he was much shorter than the other guys, but still much taller than me. He had some very nice muscles though, despite his height and thin body. He waded in waist deep, with me still in his arms. Suddenly, he dove under the water, taking me with him. The cool water refreshed whatever amount of alcohol was clouding my system. We surfaced and he let me down, wiping the hair out of his eyes. I dove under, knowing he couldn’t see me, and swam about twenty meters away. I only rose out of the water enough for me to breathe, and I watched as he looked around frantically. He dove in a couple times, calling me. I loved the way his voice said my name, and I smirked, swimming back towards him.

I swam right around his legs and surfaced behind him, then popped up and grabbed him around the waist. “Gotcha,” I whispered in his ear. He flipped around with surprise in his eyes, then grabbed my waist and kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and subscribe, it will get better soon I promise, I just had to lead into the story.