What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces ?

The Taste of You Will Never Leave My Lips Again

Vic’s POV

I glanced over at the house next door, where someone was finally moving in. I guess the house had been empty for years, until now. I looked back at my own house, or rather, the one my band and I had rented for the summer before we went on tour. I’d have to say, so far South Carolina was my favorite place we visited, and I was glad we were getting a break. It was peaceful and quiet here, and it gave me a chance to write. I watched as my new neighbor appeared on her deck, then I turned to go back inside.

Later that day, the guys had noticed the neighbor had cute a friend, so naturally they all wanted to go meet them. To be honest, the friend wasn’t really my type, but to be a good sport, I acted interested and walked over anyway. The two girls were facing away from us in beach chairs around a fire, chatting animatedly. We debated on who would start the introduction, and I got voted to do it. I softly placed a hand on the new girl’s shoulder, and she jumped and turned. Jaime spoke up first “Sorry !” He grinned, holding his hand out. “I’m Jaime, and this is Mike, Tony, and Vic.” The ‘cute’ girl stepped out from behind our neighbor and introduced herself as Shayla. Her friend shyly replied with her name as well, and I knew she was the one I wanted. Chesney was very petite, but pretty, with pale skin, long wavy hair, and bright hazel eyes. Her eyes were large and doe-like, and they held a lot of depth to them. I tried not to stare, but I knew I wasn’t succeeding very well. She looked right at me and inquired “Would you guys like to stay for our little party ?” We all gladly accepted, and we rounded up more chairs and settled in.

Shayla hit it off with the other guys immediately, but I was far more interested in Chesney. I mean sure, Shayla was fine for a friend. She left with Jaime to get some alcohol not too soon after the shindig had started. I kept feeling my eyes wander to Chesney, and I briefly wondered if she noticed. I spoke in a soft tone to her, telling her about how Mike and I were brothers, and although he may look older, I was the eldest. Tony and Mike kept their distance, they knew when I liked a girl. I was grateful to them for giving me some time with her, and I utilized it well. I kept staring into her eyes when she spoke, and I just wanted more, more, more. I wanted to hear more about her, to know everything about her past, as strange as that may seem. She mentioned she was from Michigan, and I smiled inadvertently, some of my best shows had been done there. Without thinking, I blurted “Do you have a boyfriend ?” Mike smacked my arm; he must have heard me. Real smooth, Vic,I scolded myself, blushing. I was sure she was going to tell me that was inappropriate, or tell me about her big buff boyfriend, but instead, she smiled and said “No, no I don’t.” I looked up from the ground and smiled, almost disbelieving that someone like her was single.

Everyone else pretty much left us alone, I guess they could see us flirting. I was suddenly so glad we had decided to come over and welcome the new neighbors instead of just partying by ourselves. I could tell the guys were having a good time as well, and that was important to me too. I hadn’t felt so happy doing something other than music in a long time. Shayla stood up and started mumbling drunkenly about swimming since it was midnight. The guys agreed without hesitation, practically drooling like dogs. I could bet that Mike would be the one to end up with her, no offense to the other guys. I looked at Chesney, asking her with my eyes if she wanted to go swimming too. I was secretly hoping she would say yes, but I kept my expression blank…I think. “Should she really be swimming so drunk ?” Chesney wondered. I looked and her and smirked “The guys will take care of her, no need to worry.” I winked, and felt my insides fill up with pride as she blushed. I began to strip off my shirt, disappointed when Chesney turned around. I didn’t have the greatest body, but I had some decent musculature and my stomach was flat. So what if I was a little short ?

Chesney went inside to change, and I waited up for her. She came back out looking amazing; with her long hair cascading down her back in slow waves, I almost couldn’t look away. She glanced towards her house, admiring the lights, and I watched her eyes reflect the light and a smile break out on her face. I seized the opportunity and swept her off her feet, surprising her. She was really light, just as I had expected. I looked her in the eyes, murmuring “You really are a tiny little thing.”
I ran towards the ocean with her in my arms, and waded in about waist deep. I dove in, taking her with me. We surfaced and I set her down, wiping my long hair out of my eyes. The water felt good and refreshing, especially after my alcohol consumption. I looked around and suddenly Chesney wasn’t there. It was hard to see of course, because of the darkness, but I’m sure she wasn’t anywhere near me. I began to panic, what if she couldn’t swim ? How much alcohol had she drank ? Where could she have possibly gone ? I called her name a few times, and swam around a little. Suddenly, there was a splash behind me and a pair of arms around me. “Gotcha,” Chesney whispered in my ear, and I could almost hear her smirk. Before I lost my nerve, I grabbed her tiny waist and pressed my lips to hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please ! I'm dying over here ! Not posting the next chapter until I get at least one comment !