What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces ?

Burst Into Flames

Chesney’s POV

It was the wee hours of the morning, and I knew I wouldn’t be getting any more sleep, so I started to unpack some more. I started with the kitchen so that afterward I could make some tea. It was very strange to have a fridge that was completely empty, save for a few drinks. My kitchen was light and open, and I loved the wood countertops. It opened up into my living room that looked out over the ocean, as the back wall was completely glass. I needed to buy some drapes or blinds, but for now it was nice to look out into the starry night. l couldn’t wait for the sun to come up, I hadn’t watched a sunrise in so long it seemed. I absentmindedly glanced out the window over the sink, and realized that it gave me a direct view of Vic’s house. A small smile appeared on my lips without my permission. I couldn’t help but wonder if maybe he was looking for me too.

I forced myself to look away and make my tea. I headed out to the deck to drink it, enjoying some peaceful time alone. I sat cross-legged on a chair, and pulled my sleeves over my hands, clutching my cup of tea. I was daydreaming before I knew it, until a voice in the dark startled me. I knocked over my tea cup, and it spilled over the railing. “Shayla ! What are you doing ?!” I asked her in a shrill voice,waiting for my heartbeat to slow. “What are YOU doing ?” She retorted sleepily, rubbing her eyes. “I’m heading home,” she continued. “It’s five in the morning, and you’re drunk,” I told her, protesting. She rolled her eyes at me “I’m fine, I just need some sleep, but your couch isn’t too comfortable, no offense.” I just shrugged, knowing she was stubborn, and hugged her and walked her out.

After she left, the house felt big and empty, and I felt pretty lonely. It was my first house on my own, I had always had my parents, a roommate, or a boyfriend. I felt independent, but still kind of vulnerable. To be honest, there was only one person I wanted to be with right now anyway.

Vic.

I toyed with the possibility of knocking on his door once the hour was decent, and asking him to hang out. But that was so high school. Maybe I would just hang around outside and hope he noticed me ? Yeah, wait for him to come to me…. I spent way too much time thinking up possible scenarios in my head, I was like some obsessed teenager all over again. But it felt kind of good to get butterflies again, to feel like you did back when you were a kid and in love. I actually hadn’t felt this way about someone in a long time…if ever. I watched the sun rise as planned, and went to take a long, relaxing bath. I was going to try and look extra good today, just in case.

After a long hour of music and a bath, I hauled my butt out of the tub and went to work on blow drying my mass of tangled hair. It dried in messy waves, and I tamed them and worked on my makeup. I chose some red shorts and a loose white tank top, trying to make it seem effortless. I contemplated getting my lip pierced again, but I wasn’t sure if my job would allow it. I had loved my lip piercing back before college, but nursing school wouldn’t allow it. A loud pounding on my door startled me. I checked the time, eight AM. Who would be up at this hour ?

I opened the door, and three guys burst into the room, almost knocking me down. Jaime, Tony, and Mike stood before me. “Vicky looooovesss youuu !” Jaime told me, giggling and nodding. Tony and Mike laughed at his tone, but then Mike turned to me. “He really does like you though; he hasn’t shut up about you, actually.” “We came here to invite you out with us today !” Tony told me, getting straight to the point. “How did you know I would be up ?” I asked them, secretly grateful that I looked decent and that I still wasn’t in the bath ! Jaime looked at me sheepishly- “I, uh, saw you outside earlier .” he blushed and looked down. “I couldn’t sleep either so I was walking the beach. I was going to come talk to you but I didn’t want you to think I was weird, and besides, Vic would have killed me…he trailed off. I smiled at him, amused. “So Vic wasn’t having you spy on me then ?” “Oh God no !” Mike laughed. “He isn’t to that stage yet !” I accepted their invitation, and we made arrangements for eleven. “Where are we going ?” I inquired, as they turned to leave. “It’s a surprise !” Is the only answer I received.