Status: Going through the editing process.

Closer

Tripping On Plastic Cups

Avery

I picked up my keys and rattled them so they would jingle. Julie, my step sister, was taking forever to get ready. “I’m leaving without you.” I hollered at her. She waltzed down the stairs and glared at me. “I really hate how your dad and my mom decided to buy one car, just so we can have bonding time.” She air quoted her last two words. “It takes time to look this good.” She flashed me a fake smile. I turned around and stalked to the car.

I opened the car to the drivers side and slide inside. The car still smells like fresh leather, and new tires. My gaze flickered from the black, leather steering wheel to Julie. She was scrambling, trying to get all her bags on her arms. I blew out a sigh. She was impossible. I heard her yell, “Pop the trunk!” I hesitated. I stifled a laugh watching her try to walk in her brand new, five inch high-heel boots.

Julie finally made it to the trunk and dumped all of her bags. She shut the trunk with force, and hopped into the passenger seat. I started the car and backed out of the driveway. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Julie slide her Coach glasses up to her eyes. She turned on the radio. ‘Save a horse’ by Big and Rich came thumping from the speakers. She reached to change the station to some pop song that was on another station. She leaned back and opened the sunroof.

I changed the station back to Big and Rich. Her head snapped in my direction. “If you change it, you’re walking to school.” I said. “Yeah right.” Julie scoffed. She was right. I would never make anyone walk. Not even Julie. Even though she gets on my nerves seventy percent of the time, I wouldn’t embarrass her or make her walk five miles. I don’t hate Julie, I just have issues with her. “So how’s your love life coming along?” She asked, while adding another coat of mascara. I made a face at her, but she was too busy staring at the mirror to see.

“Why do you ask?” I avoided answering her question because the truth was, my love life was about as exciting as a piece of cardboard. “Just wondering.” Julie smirked and shook her head. I pulled into my parking spot and cut the ignition. Julie stepped out of the car and slammed her door. “Pop the trunk.” Julie looked at me and gave me her do-it-now look. My eyes narrowed ever so slightly. My gaze never left hers as I pressed the button. She made her way around the car to collect her bags. I grabbed my keys and my backpack.

As I stepped to get out of the car my shoe slipped on a plastic cup lying beside my car. My feet were out from under me and I was on my butt before I knew it. I stood up quickly, and shut my door. I looked around to make sure no one saw what just happened. Julie didn’t see, because the trunk blocked her view. Just when I thought I was off the hook, Matt, a guy from three of my classes, had a finger over his mouth trying not to laugh.

I gave him a weak smile and turned to meet Julie. She closed the trunk right as I walked up. She looked up and smirked. I knew where her gaze was, and I knew i shouldn’t follow it, but I did anyways. Matt was laughing really hard. I’m guessing he couldn’t keep it in anymore. “I wonder what he’s laughing about.” Julie smiled at him. I shrugged, “No clue. Let’s go, or we’ll be late.”