Status: Going through the editing process.

Closer

You Shouldn't ASSume Anything

Avery

I walked into second period feeling like Julie punched me in the stomach. Why does she have to bring everybody down? Why can’t she just talk about how she feels? I sat in my usual seat beside Christian. He’s always giving me good advice on boys and boasting about his sports accomplishments. “Hey.” I smiled at him. “Hey.” He replied with a twinkle in his eye. His bright blue-grey eyes studied me. “I have a few questions.” I said carefully. “About what?” He playfully knocked his knee with mine.

“Boys.” I looked up, embarrassed. I don’t why i feel this way. It’s usually so easy talking to him. I feel like somethings changed between us these past few weeks. “What about ‘em, love?” He impersonated a british accent. I shook my head, laughing. “Their drive. What suddenly makes them talk to you? When they haven’t talked to you but once or twice?”

“They see change. Or maybe you caught his eye.” He explained quietly. I thought back to when I slipped on that stupid, plastic cup. I cringed inwardly. “Gotcha.” I understood now. We turned our attention to Coach Hooper and started listening while he droned on and on about World War ll.

********

By lunch, I was exhausted and ready to go home. Yet, I still had dance practice after school. I bit into my sandwich. Heidi, one of my other best friends, was gushing about getting asked to the sweetheart dance. Her long time crush finally asked her. Good for her, I thought sarcastically.

I shook my head. That wasn’t very nice. I tuned back into her conversation, just in time to hear her question. “Who are you going with Avery?” Heidi asked me with a big smile on her face.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Dunno.” I replied, my mouth full of sandwich. Heidi nodded and went back to gushing.

I was aware that next period I had Matt in my class. He sat right beside me. Great. I can’t wait to hear what he has to say about my fall this morning. I made my way to my seat and sat down. I kept my eyes glued to our homework from last night. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Matt sit down and start searching for our homework. He finally found it and then he looked over at me.

I quickly averted my eyes back to the paper in front of me. “Hey babe.” Matt bumped my arm. I slowly, but surely glanced over at him. “How’s your ass?” He asked loudly. My mouth dropped open. Everyone in class turned their heads towards us. That could’ve meant anything. They didn’t hear the whole conversation!

I closed my mouth and sat up straight. “Just fine, thanks.” I flashed him a dazzling smile, then pretended to look for something in my bag. He softly touched my arm, sending an electric current pulsing through my body, straight down to my toes. The intensity made me sit up straight, causing my papers to fly off my desk.

I bent over in my desk to gather them. Matt leaned over his desk and tried helping me. Our eyes met, and a slow, sexy smile spread across his face. His eyes flickered from my shirt to my eyes. I looked down and you could see my pink, lacy bra. I slapped my hand over my chest. “I was enjoying the view.” He whispered.

I finished gathering my papers and sat up. He’s acting completely inappropriate. I kind of liked that, I thought. Wait, what? No. I am so ready to go home.