Making Up.

Rescue!

'If anyone is missing an Acoustic in Arizona, please speak' she smiled tweeting hopefully someone would know, she tried to look through the case, finding bits of paper of lyrics, 'whoever did write these lyrics, that's a brain I wanna pick, it's quite beautiful some of these actually' she smiled flattening out a piece she could only imagine is called Thinking Of You and taking a picture, 'if anyone does know this song?' she tweeted and suddenly her phone went mental, '@Lucycaswell you have John O'Callaghan's guitar' '@lizzdrew then he might have mine, right?' '@lucycaswell probably!' she smiled wondering who he was she googled him, 'John O'Callaghan, I don't need your face to fall for you, but it helped.' Lizzy laughed, '@LizzDrew told you to come to the gig!' Lucy giggled, '@LizzDrew not The Maine?' '@lucycaswell absolutely' holy shit she whispered to herself, heading for her car and driving around Phoenix trying to remember where their office was.

'Hello?' 'I don't know, ermm I think I have John's guitar, we were on the same flight, I think he might have mine, apparently I might be able to find him here?' 'I'm Alexandra, give me a look, I can confirm' she opened the bag, 'ahh, that's his, how?' 'oh, we were on the same flight, mad rush I guess it was just an accident' 'I will call him' she smiled, 'thank you, my guitar is kind of important' 'of course' she sat in the waiting room as John got woken up, 'Alex?' 'check your guitar' 'what?' 'do it' he stumbled out of bed and looked in his bag, 'fuck' it had somehow turned black and had carvings in it, and was signed by people, 'ermm, it's not mine!' 'the girl who has your guitar is here, hoping you have hers to swap back' 'oh, awesome, thank god' 'are you coming in?' 'now'.

'Hi, I'm John' 'oh, hello' shaking hands, 'I think this is yours, ermm, a friend of mine is a fan, she recognised your words' he smiled, 'you looked inside?' 'I thought I'd find a name or something?' 'sorry, of course' 'I'll ermm, get going' 'I'm here for practice, would you join me, considering without this-' 'erm, I don't know much' 'that's ok' he smiled, 'ok' he smiled leading her through the door, 'what's your name?' 'I'm Lucy' 'nice to meet you' he smiled, 'how old are you?' '21' 'university?' 'I've finished now' 'how?' 'I got a shorter degree, I don't waste my time on something I don't really enjoy' 'you don't enjoy it?' 'my mum made me go, but at least it was philosophy, she was so mad' John smiled, 'my mum never did that' 'your mum is cool' they chuckled, 'I named a song after her' 'Jenny?' 'you know some stuff?' 'Lizzy makes me listen' John laughed.

'This is Lucy, we accidentally swapped guitars at the airport yesterday' 'who cares if she got you here on time, nice to meet you?' 'nice to meet you too' shaking hands with them, 'you play guitar?' 'I do, since I was around 6-7, my dad taught me' John smiled, 'daddy's girl?' 'pretty much, he's more free-spirited, my parents met on a protest, my mum arrested my dad' John laughed, 'that's awesome' 'I agree' 'how?' 'said she would let him go if she could have his number' 'smooth but definitely a dodgy move' 'worked' laughing, 'so, do you write?' 'I do a little' she smiled, 'well?' 'well, what?' John smirked, 'are you gonna play something?' 'if it's a bit angry, don't mind?' 'nope' 'good' playing A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, they grinned, 'you're pretty good' 'feisty one aren't you?' 'a little' they giggled, 'I like that, you should record' 'nahh, I'm alright, but I need more time' 'you do' 'true, being unemployed' laughing.

'Thank you' 'no problem it was worth it' 'I actually have your song stuck in my head' she laughed a little, 'bad day, huh?' John smiled, 'do you have any nicer ones?' 'my friend did this film in university and she needed a little interlude to begin and end the film, mind?' 'go for it' she smiled, '..graduated with honours, and I'm drinking coffee..now I get a holiday, whereever I go I might stay..' singing a little tune, tapping her toe, dancing with her guitar, 'I like that' 'I recorded it' John smirked, 'thank you, you're far too kind' putting her guitar away, 'where did you get it, it's beautiful?' 'I made it myself in Carpentry classic, I made my own Slinkies set in California at Ernie Ball's' John smiled, 'yourself?' 'you can see?' looking at the little bumps, 'I was 15, and needed to pass wood work' he laughed, 'it sounds good' 'it does' 'you're awesome, you're staying in touch' 'thank you' he grinned.

-x-

John dropped by as she was in the shed, ‘you make instruments?’ ‘I do, I got better at it’ he smiled, ‘should have said’ ‘well, I’m constantly I’m hiding many lights under bushels, good?’ ‘I’m good and you’re right’ taking a seat, ‘did you make this?’ ‘I did, if you mean the chair, if it’s made of wood, I made it’ he laughed, ‘you can turn it into a business’ ‘I do, how do you think I live, I make custom guitars and violins’ as she sanded down a violin, ‘or anything else they ask for, I did a Double Bass last month’ he grinned, ‘that’s awesome’ ‘it’s good, sorry, you text me, but you were all aloof?’ John grinned, ‘I was kind hoping I could take you for dinner?’ she smiled, ‘I would like that’ ‘we need to discuss the finer points of Sartre’ ‘I wrote a thesis on it, I hope you brought your A-game’ he grinned.

John smiled walking with her to a restaurant she liked nearby, ‘habe you read Rousseau?’ ‘I haven’t’ ‘I’d like to hear your view on the discourse on the arts and sciences’ he grinned, ‘I saw yor tweet’ ‘oh, no’ he laughed, ‘you think I’m cute but before that you said you wanted to pick my brain and that’s enough’ she laughed, ‘man, you have a low standard of women’ John grinned, ‘sorry, just people are shallow and I don’t know the band’ ‘I’d heard of you, my friend’s a fan and good job too, or I wouldn’t have my precious back’ ‘Lord Of The Rings’ ‘professional nerd’ ‘excellent’ they laughed talking all afternoon over some good italian she smiled, he was kinda perfect, and not boring, like the girl in Birthday had thought.

'So how come you don't record Vee?' 'I don't know, time I guess' he smiled, 'I also write but it take me a bit unless under pressure to come up with melodies, for Holiday it took me all night, I don't know, I guess I would disappoint people with the amount time I need to come up with something' rubbing her head, 'but the first song you did was awesome too' 'I wrote that drunk' John laughed, 'I was seventeen, I know it so well' he smiled, 'you were drunk?' 'I was, writing cheers me up, and I am not a happy drunk, so I don't drink' he laughed, 'I cry, it's embarassing' John nodded, 'I'll remember' giggling over food, he smiled, 'why?' 'I wish I knew, I am an optimist' John grinned, 'so never drink' 'one at new year and birthdays' 'good' laughing.

'I like spending time with you' 'good to know' he smiled, 'I hope it's mutual' 'you are far from boring, I could listen to you all day' he grinned blushing looking at the sky, she smiled looking at the ground noticing her profound effect on him, 'ermm, I'll see you soon, I have some work to do, thank you for ths evening it was lovely' kissing his cheek, he grinned, she waved heading home 'get in, Johnoh' he muttered to him self with a smile, kicking the ground.

-x-

John smiled, ‘can I just watch you?’ ‘creepy but sure’ he grinned, ‘you don’t like being watched?’ ‘it’s a bit weird’ he laughed, ‘I don’t know, I used to be watched by my mum a lot, bit of a rebel, so I am not very tolerant of it’ he grinned, ‘fine, rebel huh?’ ‘I was 17/18, she thought I was getting stoned, I’ll be honest, I was a bit’ John laughed, ‘but, she’s a cop, what can you expect?’ ‘you don’t live with them?’ ‘no, she’d spend her life keeping an eye on me, my dad is so different, he was smoking it when she met him’ John laughed, ‘your family sound amazing’ ‘never argued though, just talked everything out, my mum is a trained negotiator, I think it helped’ John smiled, ‘amazing, I can’t remember it much in my house’ ‘good’ she nodded.

'So, what are you making?' 'this one is for Tom Petty, it's quite specific what he wants, so I'm trying to get it right' she muttered concentrating on that, 'Tom Petty, the Tom Petty' 'yeah, he needs a guitar funnily enough, he's promised he'll play The Apartment Song if I do a good job' John grinned, 'can you take a plus one?' she laughed, 'I was just about to ask you, but I know you don't like LA' 'I can cope' laughing, she turned her iPod on and begun playing Wildflowers, he grinned, 'I grew up with this man, my dad loves him' 'you are such a daddy's girl' 'I am so sorry' he laughed, 'it's cool' 'I don't have daddy issues, which surely in your line of work, you'd be glad of' John laughed, 'very much appreciated' laughing all day.

'What do you think?' 'I think if he doesn't like it, I will lose all my respect for him' Lucy smiled, 'when do you go?' 'Saturday morning' 'good, I can come then?' 'bring a friend if you want, I have 4 tickets, I did invite my dad though-' 'I wanna meet your dad, it's cool' she laughed, 'ok then, ermm, yeah you find a plus one too' 'Jared, Jared is coming' 'awesome, my dad's a socialist, don't start him on politics, I love it, but when he starts' 'I'll remind Jared' laughing, she smiled kissing him softly, 'thank you for being here' 'that was worth it' kissing her back softly, he wrapped his arms round her, 'and, you need to teach me some shit, cos that took too long to polish' she laughed, 'thanks'.

-x-

'Dad, this is John and Jared, they're some friends of mine, this is my dad' 'oh, just call me Mike' shaking hands, 'is the tall one the guy you were on about?' he whispered, 'indeed dad' John smiled getting in the thankfully large car, 'so, what do you do?' 'we're in a band' 'ah, good, talented Lucy' 'they are very talented' 'have you made guitars for them?' 'not yet dad' 'you should, it's why she got tickets' 'I know, I was there when she was making it' 'you do it beautifully Lucy, you should make it a proper business' 'I'm self employed according to the tax people, I'm good' John laughed, 'how much is it for your guitar?' 'this one, nothing, cos the amount of business I will get from Tom Petty having one of my guitars is already insane' John grinned, 'how much?' 'about 20 and they're about 500 dollars a piece' he smiled, 'geez' 'do the same for you, but I'd probably make them cheaper, I doubt any fans of yours could afford that' John smiled, 'that's socialism' 'shush dad' 'well, it's important' 'politics?' Jared asked, 'oh, god'.

John smiled as she slumped back in her seat, ‘would you?’ ‘I would, you’ll have to give me idea of what you would like?’ ‘I’ll think about it’ he grinned getting through the security and heading backstage, ‘we’re gonna meet him, I’m gonna be like my mum at Hendrix gigs’ Vee laughed at her dad, ‘honestly can’t take you anywhere’ ‘you’ll only have to go back and apologise’ John and Jared laughed, ‘you have no idea how many times I’ve heard that’ laughing more, she met Tom.

'Lucy, you must be' 'that's me, your guitar Mr Petty' he grinned, 'I have been looking forward to this since I saw your sketches with the wildflowers' she grinned, 'oh my god, this is gorgeous, The Apartment Song is all yours' John smiled, 'introduce me' 'oh, this is my dad, Mike, he's a huge fan' 'nice to meet you' 'and, these two are John and Jared, they're in a band called The Maine, and fans' 'Pioneer!' John beamed, 'you know it?' 'that girl Lizz who does your admin, told me about you' Lucy laughed, 'she does that' 'I listened to her, you're good! We should work on something' Tom grinned, John looking stunned.

John held her hand so tight, ‘you’re gonna break my wrist’ ‘sorry’ laughing, he smiled, ‘you’re my girlfriend right?’ ‘erm, sure’ he smiled, ‘good’ she laughed a little, ‘it just seemed a perfect place to ask you’ listening to him play Wildflowers, ‘it was, you did good’ John grinned, ‘good to know’ ‘you take care of her son’ ‘like I need taking care of’ she laughed a little.

-x-

6 months later:-

'I remember you telling me, you don't need taking care of' John smirked, 'it's a little lump and it's gone' he smiled, 'I don't' 'lies' he grinned, 'I love you' 'I love you too, but now I have a lumpy boob' 'I do believe the lump in your boob, so I only have myself to blame, not that anything's changed, I still think you're the most beautiful woman I have ever seen' she blushed, he grinned, 'and it's a little cancer, it's gone now' she smiled, 'indeed it is' holding his hand, 'and, your hair is growing back so darn quickly, it's incredible' she giggled, 'thank you, I've always wanted to know if I could pull off the pixie cut' John laughed, 'can I hold you?' 'course' he grinned, wrapping his arms round her in bed, 'I love your boobs' 'thank you' they giggled.

John smiled as she got her bandages removed a few weeks later, she didn’t want to look at herself, she felt the difference, seeing scars, ‘you can have cosmetic surgery’ ‘I can’t afford it’ she muttered, John sighed a little, ‘babe, it’s only going to matter to you and me what your boobs look like’ she smiled, ‘well, I kind of matter, I have to look at them’ ‘I have to look at them’ ‘you can get bra fillers and things?’ she nodded, ‘I’ll do that’ John nodded, ‘come on, you need a shopping trip, that cheers you up’ she smiled a little, ‘and, no alcohol’ Lucy laughed, ‘thanks’ walking to the car, ‘lingerie, first stop lingerie’ he grinned, ‘thanks’ ‘no problem, you had cancer, you kicked it’s ass, I don’t give a fuck about your breats as long as you’re here with me still’ ‘I keep being told I stole Hayley William’s haircut’ John laughed, ‘that’s the girl I know and love’.

John smiled as she put bra fillers in, ‘needed now’ she sighed, ‘darling, you can still fill out a wedding dress, and I am an ass guy, you didn’t get cancer there’ Lucy giggled, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too, you mad lady’ he grinned kissing her deeply, holding her cheeks, ‘wedding dress?’ she murmured, ‘well, we are getting married eventually, you’re the only person I wanna be with and tough as nails, damn right, the next time you’re in hospital we’ll be having our family’ she smiled, ‘you’re kinda precious’ she smiled, ‘thank you’ kissing her deeply, ‘now, I’ve always wanted to see you in red’ she smiled, ‘oh, really?’ ‘yes’ he chewed his lip, ‘don’t do the sexy thing with me O’Callaghan’ ‘what?’ ‘the lip thing’ the cashier smiling, ‘I think you two are the happiest couple I’ve met working here’ John grinned, ‘and proud’.

John grinned, ‘told you red was good’ holding her bed, ‘I think you’re beautiful, would you marry me soon?’ ‘how about ay ear from today darling, I am so tired and I’d rather it planned well, also I want my confidence better’ ‘darling, whatever the hell you want’ he grinned snuggling into her, ‘I think I might take up cheerleading’ he grinned, ‘really, I want that’ Lucy giggling, ‘my friend is setting up a team and she asked me but I turned it down due to time, but I think I have to sort out my priorities, I’m ahead on work constantly, and I don’t need to be’ he grinned, ‘good point, whatever you want as long as I can take the uniform off at night’ she grinned, ‘fine with me’.

-x-

10 years later:-

'Georgia, John, school!' Georgia raced down the stairs but John was a little less excited' 'I don't wanna go' 'darling, I know how you feel, but you'll make friends, your dad made a band with his school friends, so you need to go' John smiled, 'alright mum' hugging her, she smiled picking him up, 'breakfast my little soldier' he grinned, 'pancakes' 'dad made them' John grinned at her as Georgia sat on his knee, 'the dastardly duo's first day at school' Vee smiled, 'indeed, I think you're set, Georgia, breakfast?' she smiled eating her pancakes, John grinned, 'good?' 'yeah, nervous' John nodded, 'be ok' 'I know'.

John smiled watching them go off, ‘Georgia is where we made her isn’t it?’ ‘I think so, with the dates and stuff’ he smirked, ‘I want you, we have time, I want my wife’ she blushed, he grinned, ‘fine’ ‘good’ John grinned picking her up, ‘we’re in the playground’ ‘and, I’m playing’ she giggled, ‘morning’ she waved, John laughed, ‘need taken care of darling’ ‘we made love last night, a lot’ he smirked, ‘I don’t know, you always make me insatiable’ she giggled getting in the car with him, ‘well we have 6 hours’ he grinned, ‘I know, and I have to go produce in a week, I wanna practice it’ she giggled, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’.

Lucy caught her breath her body still quivering, John chuckled, ‘I never get tired of pleasing you’ she grinned, ‘mutual’ pinning him down she straddled him, John running his hands up and down her body, ‘we’ve gone through some crazy times, but I know you are all I need’ she smiled, ‘you saved my life Mister, how could I not marry my knight in shining armour?’ ‘I felt your boobs’ ‘it was pretty good of you’ laughing a little, John smiled as she caressed his cheek, swirling her hips against him, ‘my prince charming’ he grinned blushing, ‘my queen’ they giggled making love.

they lived happily.