Making Up.

New Days.

Oklahoma was a far cry of the suburbs of Arizona, I mean the politics wasn’t that different, but all in all it was a far more modern place to study, and being in her final year now, she was sad she might have to leave it soon, ‘you ok?’ ‘I’m fine, just thinking ahead’ ‘you looked miserable!’ ‘I might have to leave Arizona, don’t particularly want to’ ‘why?’ ‘I like it here, and my degree is almost over got about six months’ ‘oh, right, you want a drink to cheer you up? ‘it’s like you read my mind’ ‘I’m John’ ‘Lucy’ ‘so Oklahoma’ ‘hmm, it’s shit’ John laughed, ‘why?’ Lucy gave him a list, ‘I think you included boring twice’ ‘I apologise’ John laughed getting drinks, ‘I don’t know, I don’t see much of places, just venues’ ‘oh, well be glad in that state’ John laughed, ‘I come from Tulsa, which is the heart of the state, absolutely’ ‘Tulsa is nice’ ‘it’s alright, I don’t miss it though’ ‘I can tell’.

John looked at the blonde, she had glasses on and blue eyes, and a green dress on which looked vintage, ‘you like vintage?’ ‘I have no money, I have to’ John laughed as she swirled her glass, ‘but yeah, I quite like it, it’s cheaper to buy fabric, so I kinda made this one myself and made a small wardrobe out of it and a sew machine’ John smiled, ‘so you’re creative?’ ‘I like to think so, I buy old patterns and work them out’ John smiled, ‘so, would you sell them?’ ‘I do sometimes, I also did a lot of Halloween costumes this year which was pretty cool, I do a fashion design degree, so I should be ok at it’ ‘that’s pretty cool’ ‘thanks, I wanna teach Textiles, I think so I can at least keep doing what I love, inspire others to do the same’ John smiled, ‘that’s cool, can you do that in Arizona?’ ‘yeah, Liberal Arts’ ‘good, so you can stay?’ ‘I could, really’ ‘good’.

'So this is your work' 'I apologise for the mess and size of my apartment' 'no problem' 'it's not normally this bad, just' he laughed, 'don't worry' 'good' heading for her lounge, 'this is kinda where I keep the things I've finished and stuff people need picking up' 'these are gorgeous, you should sell pieces for 8123?' 'isn't that a music thing though, my friend likes one of the bands on it' 'which one?' 'This Century, she likes pop, good pop' John smiled, 'I'm in The Maine' 'I've never heard you, so I can't say yay or nay but cool' John chuckled, 'you're more a country kid?' 'no, more pop punk, properly done not All Time Low' he laughed, 'snob' she shook her head, 'if you're unhappy cut out things that make you miserable, he doesn't, and thus sounds whiney' John smiled, 'do you?' 'I'm in Arizona, yes' he smiled, 'and determined to stay out of Oklahoma' showing him her portfolio, 'you should sell those through 8123' 'only if you properly explain what it is' John laughed, 'ok' talking all evening.

-x-

Lucy packed up the dresses amazed they had sold so quick if she was honest, they had gone up and come down, people had too much money but now she was a few dollars up now, John smiled, ‘you good’ ‘yeah, I had to do some changing of sizes for the buyers but all good, just heading to the post office’ he smiled, ‘come with you, get coffee’ ‘sure’ he smiled, ‘how’s the degree going?’ ‘I’ve got a lot of my work done now, it’s just getting all together for my assignments, cos you get one a week’ John nodded, ‘so, what you make something weekly?’ ‘no, just an indepth sketch and you hand them in and get them marked’ ‘got any minors?’ ‘business and philosophy’ ‘serious?’ ‘hmm, I wanted to do something where my mind is a bit pushed, philosophy does that’ ‘I agree’ talking philosophy on the way to posting packages, ‘thanks for letting me do this’ ‘no problem, you’re talented, you should’ he smiled, ‘thanks’.

Lucy swirled her tea, ‘why do you do that?’ ‘I don’t know, I’m not great with people, I think it’s nerves’ John smiled, ‘not good with people’ ‘home schooling does that to you’ he laughed, ‘my parents didn’t want me taught religiously, all the schools were mental’ ‘so yeah’ ‘I make you nervous’ ‘you’re not special princess, everyone makes me nervous’ John laughed, ‘princess’ she hit her head on the table, John chuckled, ‘it’s fine, I’m glad you’re real with me to be honest’ ‘lying does mean you have to have a great memory, not something I’m particularly endowed with’ laughing a little, ‘but you’re great at making clothes and drawing’ ‘yes, my mum taught me that, ironically’ John laughed, ‘so, wanna try something new?’ ‘ooh?’ John laughed, ‘we need some designs for shirts for the acoustic tour’ ‘I’ve heard the EP, it’s good, Raining in Paris, my heart is broken’ John laughed, ‘thanks’ ‘give me a week, I’ll have a few for you’ ‘fine with me’ catching up and talking over food too.

-x-

John smiled as she came in with some new designs and some new things to sell, ‘you have a look at those while I just put these on the site and post new things on facebook’ John smiled, ‘ok’ ‘there’s about six there’ John nodded, ‘we’ll pay for them from you’ ‘ok’ John nodded, ‘the RIP one is good’ ‘I liked that one too, I had a lot to work with cos you’re quite visual with the way you write, it’s good’ John smiled, ‘glad you think so’ as she put the pictures on facebook slowly, ‘you take a smaller percentage for my work then etsy for example, so it’s good’ ‘we do? We do’ she giggled, ‘you take 7.5, etsy is double that, also the extra money means more investment in fabric, and prices go down the more you buy’ ‘awesome’ ‘sorry, I’m being businnessy’ John laughed, ‘you keep being boring’ ‘how very oklahoma of me’ John laughing, ‘you apply for liberal arts teaching yet?’ ‘I did, I couldn’t afford the process before, training at the Phoenix community college, get a good bursary too, cos they’re needed here, apparently’ she shrugged finishing up.

'Not many designers will change the size' 'I lost a lot of weight, it's shit not being able to buy clothes in the size you want' John nodded, 'you like the word shit?' 'I'm sure it will be my child's first word when it arrives' John laughed, 'in the far future' 'oh, good' she laughed, 'not that stupid' John smiled, 'so, you want kids?' 'stupidly broody lately cos my older brother just had one and he's torturously cute' he nodded, 'but I am off to buy a puppy, wanna come?' 'serious?' 'it's a little golden retriever puppy' 'aww, what are you calling it?' 'I don't know, I'm hoping you'll inspire me, or I will call it Petty or something' 'what's wrong with that?' 'best thing about growing up Tom Petty records' 'you never said you liked Tom Petty' 'what a shame, love the guy, me and my dad go see him live every year, bonding' John smiled, 'awesome'.

John smiled, ‘he’s cute’ ‘should I call him Petty?’ ‘it’s a girl’ ‘she’s the colour of honey?’ ‘Honey Bee?’ ‘exactly’ John smiled, ‘it’s a good one on Wildflowers’ John smiled ‘perfect record, come on Honey’ John smiled as she paid for the puppy he had picked up, ‘you are lucky dog, you get to sleep with her and keep her warm’ John smiled whispering, Lucy opening the door for John’ ‘thank you’ ‘no problem, she’s cute like the owner’ Lucy giggled, ‘shameless’ John smirked, ‘well you know date me?’ ‘I don’t like the idea of dating, it’s the nice face of lying, I like you, I don’t need convincing’ John smiled, ‘so be my girlfriend’ ‘love to, I’m just glad we’re on a level that you’d agree, not many would’ ‘I like being with you, Lucy, makes sense to me’ ‘good’ heading home.

John smiled waking up next to her with Honey laying in a curl on the end of the bed, ‘you ok?’ Lucy asked softly, kissing his neck softly, ‘the best in ages’ ‘I’mma make some pancakes are you ok with that?’ ‘yes’ ‘good’ hearing a pan sizzle he came through, holding her hips, ‘you ok?’ ‘wonderful, thanks for staying’ ‘it’s what I’ve wanted’ ‘I didn’t think I was that wanted but thank you’ John kissed her neck, ‘you are incredibly wanted my darling’ ‘thank you’ kissing him softly on the lips, he grinned against them holding her waist, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too, it was incredibly easy' eating breakfast and heading for bed.

-x-

6 months later:-

Lucy smiled coming in, ‘been asked to help on the new AWG collection with Glamour Kills, isn’t that whizz?’ John laughed, ‘you hate them’ ‘I have to go meet Alex next week to work on designs but they’ve just said look at the old designs and improve, but I’ll probably knit ahead for winter’ John smiled, ‘so, sorry, how’s your day baby’ kissing his cheek, John blushed as she headed for the kitchen, ‘lovely, cos you’re home now’ wrapping his arms round her, she closed her eyes taking in the moment. ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ ‘9 months ago I met you darling’ ‘you did, dog food’ ‘I hate the smell’ ‘get the febreeze ready’ John laughed, ‘so, accessories huh?’ ‘indeed, hats and scarfs in neon colours’ ‘nice’ ‘and, I have to make slippers and I am also making jumpers with knit patches, you’ll see, they look good on paper’ ‘I’m sure you will do good darling, everything always sells quickly’ ‘also, I’m beginning crocheting shawls and things’ ‘awesome, we have a house, John’ ‘we do, a mortgage, how mature’ giggling kissing her, ‘I just knew it was the right person to do it with’ ‘mutual’ kissing him softly.

John worked with some new girl on tour, ‘hello I’m Mia’ she smiled softly, ‘nice to meet you, you won the competition?’ ‘I did’ she was so flirting, as fluttered her eyelashes talking about the band and photography, ‘I’m taken’ ‘what do you mean?’ she smiled, ‘I have a girlfriend’ ‘I wasn’t hitting on you asshole’ turning on her heel and heading out, ‘great, but she was’ as she headed for the queue, Mia smirked, ‘John is so hot’ ‘and unavailable, he just told me he has a girlfriend’ ‘oh, what’s her name?’ ‘he didn’t say’ ‘I hope it’s Lucy, the designer’ ‘I think it is’ remembering a conversation she overheard with a smile, ‘she’s so cool and it makes sense cos she’s so awkward and John’ chatting, ‘hmm’ as she headed down the line knowing it would piss people off, and who cares? It was the last week of tour.

'Nice to meet you!' 'Nice to meet you too, I really love your work' 'very kind of you, do you have any ideas of your own for the summer collection?' 'a few, can we?' 'of course' 'I heard you and John are a thing?' 'oh, how?' 'it's all over the internet?' 'did he tell someone?' 'I don't know, oh, sorry' 'no, I'm glad you told me, it's true, but I just, I'll give him a ring later' Alex smiled, 'I thought I had control of tumblr' 'I've not seen any bad things?' 'that's good to know, it's more a fear people think I'm using him but at least I don't sing, I can't sing' Alex laughed, 'you tried?' 'in the shower I get into a Wonder Years record' laughing, 'well easily done' laughing, 'or Beyonce, I can destroy Beyonce' laughing working on a collection, she did some sketches of his ideas, 'what's your winter collection like?' 'I'm keeping natural, lot's of knits in bright colours and crochetting, this season, also I am making a hundred rainbow scarves for Phoenix Pride in November' 'that's so cool, you should sell some of those too' 'they look like Doctor Who scarves' 'Tom Baker' 'you know?' 'I do' 'awesome'.

John heard his phone buzz, ‘who did you tell we were going out?’ ‘oh, no how what?’ ‘it’s all over the internet, Alex told me’ ‘geez, I know who it was, we have this girl Mia on tour and she was hitting on me, so I made it clear I have you, I think she must have got bitchy and told people in the queue’ ‘ahh, right, well respect to you for doing that’ ‘you’re not mad?’ ‘I’m not mad at all, we did kinda plan for this to happen just in case’ ‘that’s true, are you ok?’ ‘fine, I was just a bit surprised and stuff, I thought you’d been drunk and brain vomited’ John laughed, ‘nope, I’m still madly in love with you’ ‘still madly in love with you, I’ve got those rainbow scarves to finish, so I will see you soon’ ‘please make more of those’ ‘Alex said the same, he’s a good guy and watches Doctor Who, I might even try listening to his records’ John laughed, ‘Vee, you’re amazing’ ‘you should see my other half’ John blushed grinning, ‘me?’ ‘nahh, course baby, see you soon’ ‘see you!’

John smiled heading out meeting people, ‘you go out with Lucy?’ ‘I do, she’s kind of incredible to me’ ‘how did you meet?’ ‘I walked into her on the street and got talking, I told her to go to 8123 so she could sell her designs’ ‘like this’ ‘looking good darling’ they laughed, ‘and, we got to know one another better, we now own a house, which kinda blows my mind, I think that one is new?’ ‘it is’ ‘made in our attic, I remember these cuts cos I remember her smiling and shaking her head when I spilt coffee on on the roll of fabric, cos she now designs her fabric patterns’ ‘do you know what her next collection is?’ ‘I don’t know if I’m allowed to say, but knits, also message her on tumblr to do more pride scarves, cos they look cool’ ‘pride?’ ‘gay pride in Phoenix, it’s in winter, so she’s making scarves for the participants’ ‘so cool, your girlfriend is awesome’ ‘she is’.

John grinned getting home, ‘I got hundreds of messages asking for pride scarves, so I put them up on the site, and I’ve had 200 requests!’ ‘sorry’ ‘so yeah, I’m gonna be knitting a lot, thankfully, I’ve got all the other work done for winter’ ‘I’m sorry’ ‘it’s ok, I’m doing the rainbow scarves people requested in crochet cos it’s quicker, but my gosh’ ‘how much have this order have you got?’ ‘I’ve done 50’ ‘good’ John smiled, ‘I’m glad to be busy really, I’ll be alright’ John smiled kissing her, ‘I’m sorry about what happened?’ ‘I love you, it’s ok’ ‘I love you too’ kissing passionately, ‘how’s the AWG stuff?’ ‘it was quite simple, for me ideas are my thing, but I hate doing the practical stuff’ ‘is their a knitting machine?’ ‘there is but I really wouldn’t like one, it’s impersonal’ John smiled, ‘then get stitching’ ‘thanks love’ John picked her up, ‘I want you sweetie’ she giggled, ‘be careful cos Honey is sleeping’ calling her off, she jumped down, ‘time for some of us time, do 9-5 work please’ giggling.

-x-

2 years later:-

'Tax returns are evil' John chuckled, 'I'm doing the same, I fully agree' laughing a little, 'I wanna something ridiculous to spend my money on' John grinned, 'what would be ridiculous?' 'a convertible' 'so creative of you' laughing, 'well, what about a hot air balloon?' John grinned, 'we don't have a big enough garden with the pool now' 'killjoy much bud?' John smiled, 'I do apologise, I have something in mind though?' 'oh, really Mr O'Callaghan?' 'yes, I do - making you my Mrs O'Callaghan?' her jaw dropped, 'you want to marry me?' 'I do, can we spend our money on that?' 'I'd love to, I get to make my own dress' John laughed, 'and finally I can call Alex and make him return the favour' 'which one?' 'If These Sheets Were States' 'some people change' laughing, 'can we write our own vows?' 'I'd love to' 'awesome' 'eepp' John laughed.

John smiled getting in and sliding a ring on her finger and kissing her softly, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ hugging him, she jumped up on his waist, wrapping her legs round him, ‘my darling’ ‘baby’ John pulling her close and heading for the bedroom, ‘Honey’ she blew out a breath jumping on the bed, they giggled making love, John held her in bed, ‘you ok?’ ‘I’m fine’ kissing her head, ‘so, you got any ideas for your wedding dress?’ ‘it’s going to be tight’ John grinned, ‘it’s like a mermaid dress, and flare at the bottom, it’s going to fit me like a glove, lace’ ‘I’m getting a boner thinking of this’ Lucy giggled kissing him, ‘I’m glad you think I can pull it off’ ‘I want to pull it off’ giggling, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too, can’t believe you asked me to marry you doing tax returns’ ‘just seemed a good way to bring it up’ laughing.

they lived happily.