Making Up.

Born To Play That Part.

'When that's done, it's going to sound beautiful' John pulled the book close at the girl's English accent, 'I apologise' 'it's ok, just it's my work' 'of course, it's why people come to France to soak in the culture' 'hmm' Lucy shuffled down the bench, 'I'm sorry' she murmured, 'what was her name?' 'Joey' 'hmm, you're quite young then?' '25' 'hmm' 'how old are you?' 'I'm 22' 'how did you know I was quite young' 'cos guys don't marry girls called Joey' John laughed, 'who do they marry?' 'well, you don't look like a Joey, I think someone like Elizabeth is meant to play that part' 'Ryan Adams reference' 'you like good music, good to know' John smiled, as she lit a cigarette, 'what's your name?' 'I'm Lucy, but people call me Lu' taking a drag, 'I only begun in Paris, I hope I can quit in England' 'I'm John, can I borrow one?' 'sure' putting one to his lips, she lit it up for him, her blonde hair caught in the flame light, 'why are you here?' 'Philosophy, Sorbonne Masters' 'good?' 'the best' he grinned.

John looked at her, ‘you really think it will sound good?’ ‘can I move up?’ ‘of course’ shuffling up the bench, ‘may I?’ ‘course’ passing her his notebook, ‘hmm, I think it would sound better sort of acoustic’ ‘people don’t marry Joeys’ ‘trust me, if Joey is her name, she’s going to have a great youth, but a lonely old age’ John laughed, ‘I don’t wish that on her’ ‘that’s cos it’s cheaper to be guilty’ John smiled as she puffed her cigarette away from him, ‘strangely thought the same’ ‘than lying’ ‘ahha’ ‘yeah’ ‘shame you’re from England, we’re on a wavelength’ ‘except I’m nosey’ John chuckled, ‘well, you can’t help it’ ‘I find poets fascinating, and you’re the first I’ve seen writing in English here’ ‘are you the romantic type’ ‘I’ve tried, I had a boyfriend he put rose petals on the bed’ ‘right’ ‘woke up in a rash, turns out I’m allergic to roses’ John laughed a little, ‘that’s amazing’ ‘hmm, I’m no good at it’ ‘neither am I’ ‘I can see’ ‘I just wish someone would come along, and just let me be me’ ‘we bleed the same blood, the way the river runs’ John smiled, ‘I like that’.

'What do you do?' 'I'm here to tour, my band played the boat tonight' 'oh, cool' walking with him, 'I hope you enjoy the rest of Europe' he grinned, 'I hope we meet again' 'well, pen and paper' he smiled as she wrote her number down, 'and, when you record that, you should tell me' 'you knew it was a song' 'you repeated a verse, I assumed it was a chorus' John nodded, 'sorry' 'it's ok' writing her number, 'you should visit America after your masters, Arizona, it's where I come from' 'I've heard it's beautiful' 'it is, truly' she nodded, 'I think I can do that' 'I'd love to show you round' 'and, when I'm in England, you've not seen the best of London' John smiled, 'you're clever, Sorbonne' 'my parents are diplomats, I was born in America, cos they worked in the Embassy in Washington at the time, I don't remember it though' John nodded, 'please do come back' 'will do' walking back to the venue, 'who are you?' 'hello, we just met on a bench, little lost, take care' 'you too, I'll call' 'please do' she bowed her head walking away, 'damn' 'what?' 'she's perfect'.

-x-

John called her on Christmas day, ‘I know it’s Christmas day’ ‘it’s ok, how are you?’ ‘I’m well, did you hear it?’ ‘I did, it was beautiful, you have a gorgeous voice’ John blushed running fingers in his hair, ‘so, you’d like it’ ‘I did, I am proud I got to see it composed’ ‘you are now stroking my ego’ ‘sorry’ John chuckled, ‘but, you are pretty good’ ‘thanks’ laughing, ‘so, how is your gorgeous Arizona?’ ‘really really cold’ ‘not what I expected?’ ‘it’s a weird state’ ‘how are you?’ ‘I’m fine, just getting to grips with family and things’ ‘well, just don’t rush anything’ ‘I assure you, I am a pace yourself kind of guy’ ‘good, good advice’ John smiled, ‘it’s good to hear your voice, are you in England?’ ‘I am indeed, everyone’s asleep’ ‘so, any idea on when I can get you here’ ‘how about you first?’ ‘February or March, darling’ ‘is Darling, an Arizona thing?’ ‘it’s a southern thing’ ‘I like it, we call people love’ John laughed, ‘you do that’ ‘alright love’ John grinned.

'So here?' 'well do you have a show in Arizona soon? Do you do the internet?' 'I have twitter, but I follow no one' 'you aren't doing it right' John laughed, 'I'm a leader not a follower' 'you're an odd man, John, you really are, what about Tumblr or something?' 'I have Tumblr, you?' 'it's sorebottom' 'why?' 'cos when I told my dad where I was studying, that's where he thought I was going' John laughed, 'I like that, I'm following and we'll message on there' 'ok, so, you said about coming to Arizona?' John grinned, 'you can stay with me?' 'well, thank you' 'so?' 'my dad has to be in Chicago for a meeting, so I'll fly on to Chicago to Arizona, is that ok?' 'that's fine, how long are you staying?' 'well, when I fly it's reading week so that' 'awesome, when?' 'it's 8th to the 15th february?' 'awesome, cos I can then put you on the list for the Tempe show?' 'oh, that's cool with me' John smiled, 'mutual, I can't wait' 'cool, keep in touch' 'of course, have a good new year' 'you too, love' 'darling' laughing.

John smiled seeing her new year text, ‘happy new year, isn’t it 6am’ ‘you’re on your a game, yes it is, but I am heading for Mexico’ ‘whoa, Mexico, why?’ ‘cos, I need to do some research’ ‘can I meet you down there?’ ‘you can meet me tomorrow, I am going to be so out of time, I’ll be like Doctor Who’ ‘awesome, see you then’ ‘I’ll meet you at the airport’ ‘ok, good idea’ laughing a little, ‘I’ll see you tomorrow’ John hung up and headed for his car, ‘where are you going?’ ‘I am going to Mexico’ ‘are you sure?’ ‘I am indeed’ heading for his car he booked the quickest flight to Mexico and landed meeting her, ‘Lu!’ hugging her, ‘unexpected, ‘I haven’t got to do much here it’s just there’s a philosophy professor I need to see at the university and I’m doing a lecture on Kierkesgaard while I’m here’ John smiled, ‘where did you do your degree?’ ‘Cambridge, love’ ‘man, I’m just some kid who did a couple of years at ASU’ ‘don’t you dare put yourself down, you are a genius, John O’Callaghan, don’t tell me any different’ ‘but-’ ‘no’ laughing to himself.

'So, wanna find Tequila now I've got the job done?' John smirked, 'you got cash?' 'I do' 'let's go' heading for the city, the got a bottle and headed back to her rooms, putting music on, 'dance with me' dancing around the room, 'I know it's a little transatlantic?' 'death cab reference' he grinned, 'true' giggling, 'but I was thinking' 'dangerous' John smirked, 'can we date?' 'date?' 'you're too goo-' 'don't you dare, I'd love to, I just have to travel across the world for one, much rather be your girlfriend' he grinned, 'well, so would I' 'makes it easier when we do meet up, and I think me and you match up' he grinned, 'me too' kissing her softly, wrapping her arms round his neck, 'John, you're a sweetheart, but you're so tall' he chuckled picking her up kissing again, 'we have a day right' 'let's get proper Mexican food tomorrow' 'absolutely' he grinned falling on the bed she snuggled into him, 'good night, my little brainbox' 'good night my liyrical genius' giggling, falling asleep, having a date day.

'Jenny said you went to Mexico?' 'and got a girlfriend!' John grinned, 'whoa what?' 'it's the France girl!' 'how is that going to work?' 'she's actually American, I hope maybe, I don't know, who knows, I just know I love her, not that she knows that' 'so, when do you see her again?' 'February, she's coming through for our show in Tempe' John grinned, 'ok, good, and she's not a fan' 'no, no, we just met randomly in Paris, she studies at the Sorbonne there, her parents are diplomats' 'and, she's legit' 'I've seen thank you' laughing a little, 'what does she look like?' 'I have selfies!' Jared laughed, 'amazing'.

-x-

Lucy jumped on him hugging him tight, John grinned holding her tight, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ he grinned, ‘we do need to talk about us’ ‘John if it means being with you, Arizona is an easy swap’ John hugged her again, ‘good, cos-’ ‘you could never leave, this is your home, I’m almost jealous’ he grinned, ‘you need to meet the others properly, and are you wearing your university badge’ ‘you said they were sceptical so I kept it on’ John laughed, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ kissing softly, John took her hand, ‘come on, let’s go inside’ heading inside the venue, ‘Jared, guys, this is Lucy’ ‘it’s lovely to meet you’ shaking hands with the guys, ‘so, when are you moving here?’ ‘oh, well, maybe June, when I’ve graduated, I’ve been able to take doctorate scholarship at UPenn, I’ll travel to and from, it’s not a big deal’ ‘so you wanna go into academics?’ ‘that’s the aim, be the mad professor’ laughing a little, ‘but he’s not finished a degree’ ‘why I love him, have you met graduates?’ ‘yes’ laughing.

'I'll be honest love, when I met you on a bench in Paris, I didn't expect to be making love to you in the Valentine State, a week from Valentines' John laughed, 'god, we are the most romantic unromantic couple' 'I think we're romantic to one another, cos we know how we work, love' brushing his cheek, 'your accent is so beautiful' she giggled as he kissed her neck, 'when you're a little drunk you have this southern thing, and that is the dirtiest thing in the world' John grinned, 'really?' 'I know it's bad, but that is sexy' 'I think we're made for each other baby' Lucy blushed, he grinned, 'I like being on top of you girl' 'please stay there then boy' John chuckled making love again and falling asleep, 'can you spoon me Lu?' 'absolutely sweetheart' wrapping an arm round him, she ran circles on his abs, he grinned, 'thank you for making me happy' 'it's a honour, I feel the same about you' kissing his head, falling asleep.

'Mum, this is Lucy' 'lovely to meet the girl who has stolen my son's heart, finailly' 'it's wonderful to meet you too, John speaks very highly of you, can I help?' 'please' helping in the kitchen, she hung her coat up and took off her heels, 'stupid shoes but to reach John's cheek' Jenny chuckled, 'I know, he is a tall man' 'he is' laughing a little cutting vegetables, 'John said you met in Paris?' 'we did indeed' talking about their relationship and other things, 'I think you're good for him' 'he's very good for me, he's very honest, it's refreshing' Jenny smiled, 'I believe you're an academic, do you want things like a family?' 'I do, I've wanted to have kids longer than I've wanted to be a professor' John smiled overhearing, 'but it's a while off yet' Jenny smiled, 'off course, with John's work' 'course, I'd love for him to see them grow up a bit, but John's vocation is one of those that I don't think he'll ever stop doing' Jenny smiled, 'you get it, good' laughing a little.

John smiled holding her in bed, ‘dare I say it?’ ‘I did buy you presents for the day’ passing her a bag, ‘lingerie?’ ‘I know it’s more a gift from me’ ‘oh, no I love lingerie’ John grinned, ‘I was more worried about finding my cup size, I have a rare boob size’ ‘I ordered it from the place you get yours, figleaves’ ‘good, thank you’ kissing him softly, ‘I got you something, but I don’t know if you’re busy in Summer to go’ ‘I’m free’ passing him an envelope, ‘Tom Petty tickets’ ‘well, you love him and you got me into him, so, I just thought’ John grinned kissing her, ‘that’s fine with me babe’ kissing softly, ‘my present seems shit now’ ‘oi!’ John smiled, ‘you like new underwear?’ ‘it makes me feel good new underwear, wanna help me into it and then out of it?’ John grinned, ‘you know what to say?’ Lucy cupped his chin, ‘good’ kissing him giggling, helping her, ‘can I take pictures?’ ‘is there a pose you’d like Johnny?’ crawling on the bed taking a picture, she bit her lip grabbing the sheet, ‘you are beautiful’ making love all morning, then showing her round.

'I'll see you in Europe right?' 'I will' heading for the plane, 'I love you' 'I love you too' kissing deeply, 'I'll see you soon'.

John smiled taking her hand, ‘babe’ ‘love’ kissing softly, ‘it’s good to see you’ ‘good to see you too’ holding her hand in Paris again, ‘when can you move to Arizona?’ ‘I was thinking June, is that ok?’ ‘fine with me, I just need to be with you now’ John sighed, ‘funny, I told you as soon as you met someone you’d know what lonely was, I’m just sorry it’s me’ John held her cheeks and kissed her ‘darling, I am far from sorry’ kissing on a parisian night, ‘thank you’ ‘no, Johnny, thank you’.

-x-

a year later:-

John grinned an arm round her, ‘I’m glad you scrubbed up, Johnny, my parents have never met you’ he grinned, ‘of course, for you darling’ ‘love, why don’t you put on some tea’ ‘will do’ heading for the kitchen as their rental made it down their street, ‘Lucy darling!’ her mum hugging her, her dad smiling, ‘where’s the other half’ ‘he’s making iced tea for you’ ‘oh, sounds gorgeous’ heading for the backyard, ‘so, how’s married life?’ ‘new’ laughing a little, ‘but John’s an amazing husband really’ he grinned bringing tea through, ‘oh, he’s handsome’ ‘you’ve seen pictures’ ‘and meeting in Paris, how lovely’ her mum smiled, ‘it’s lovely to meet you both’ ‘it’s the accent isn’t it?’ her mum whispered to her, ‘you have no idea’ her mum giggling, ‘this is Pamela my mum and my dad, James’ ‘nice to meet you’ ‘we’ve only heard good things’ ‘oh, good’ ‘though I am surprised at you settling in Arizona’ ‘well, I’m at home here’ John grinned chatting in the garden.

Lucy held John’s hand, ‘you did good, and I’m still glad you didn’t go with the bolo’ John chuckled, ‘I love you darling’ ‘I love you too’ kissing on the verandah of their home, John took her waist, ‘you know when you told my mum last year you wanted to be a mum first’ kissing her head, ‘would you like to begin trying for one?’ ‘well, I think I can handle it’ ‘I know you’re 24, and only half way through your PhD’ ‘my Phd is based on my work being published and handing that in, don’t worry’ John smiled, ‘I just think I can handle it, I can take it on tour with me when it comes to deadlines and stuff’ ‘are you completely sure?’ ‘I think so, I’m ready, are you?’ ‘I think so’ John smiled, ‘and we got the music back so we have our own home’ ‘we do’ not telling him she had asked some friends to offer, ‘ok, well, sure I think we can, give me a week though cos the pill’ John smiled, ‘ok’ ‘ok’ giggling, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’.

Months later John held John, smiling at Lucy, she smiled back, ‘all good?’ ‘very good’ holding his son, she sat up on the bed, ‘you are my sunshine in Paris Lucy’ she smiled ‘so are you, Johnny’ kissing his cheek, ‘and my Phd is complete now, just gotta let it get peer reviewed’ ‘awesome’ heading out of the hospital, John smiled, ‘you’re a professor at ASU now aren’t you?’ ‘indeed, I’ll take John with me to work’ John grinned, ‘and so will I’ giggling, ‘I didn’t marry an Elizabeth, but I did marry a Lucy’ ‘just as classy’ ‘who marries a Joey?’ giggling, ‘we’re terrible’ ‘and brilliant’ laughing.

they lived happily.