Making Up.

On The Road.

'So, yeah, this is the bus' she nodded, 'ok, is there certain bunk I avoid' 'I'd avoid them all love' she laughed, 'thanks Max' he smiled, 'no problem, good luck with fitting in, you may need it' 'well, I won a competition, I'm not exactly surprised' taking the last bunk at the end of the bus, she knew sleeping would be out of the question as she hated sleeping and travelling, throwing her bag up, glad she was unemployed for once, in some ways, putting her iPod on a speaker, the sound of Tiesto bursting out, 'seriously?' someone shouted, pausing the music, 'open your mind not your mouth!' she shouted, 'I'm trying to sleep' 'oh, sorry, I was told you were in sound check' 'just finished' 'sorry' great.

'I'm Gare' 'ahh, yeah, Max said all you do is sleep' she shrugged, he smiled, 'you're the competition girl' she nodded, and sitting on the opposite bed, 'what's it like on tour then?' 'Boring?' she smiled, 'what a prize!' 'How did you win?' 'I like your band, I applied, why do you think?' he laughed, 'I apologise, how old are you?' 'I'm 21' she nodded, 'I just graduated' 'at 21?' 'I went to university a year early, skipped a year' 'so you're clever?' 'I'm alright' 'where did you study?' 'Yale' fiddling with her fingers, 'just not quite employed yet' 'not always easy for Ivy Leaguers' 'I was from section 8 in Gilbert, Gare, I don't have the friends' he smiled, 'I see, you must have worked hard' 'this is a holiday my friend' they laughed.

'What did you study?' 'English and Philosophy' walking inside with him, 'I'm amazed they picked a girl' 'who else was going to apply? The chance to see any of you naked is something some girls would give body parts for' Gare laughed, 'you're really honest, but I think you shouldn't be so much' 'well, that's me, fuck it' she smiled, 'you can't fire me, and you could kick me off the bus, but I could sue you, I know good lawyers' she smiled with a shrug, 'fuck it, indeed' Gare laughed, 'I think they're going to like you' 'ahha, no they won't, probably' 'why?' 'Why kick a habit?' he laughed, 'awesome'.
'This is Lucy, the girl who won the competition' John smiled at the pretty redhead, 'nice to meet you' 'mutual' meeting them all, she smiled, 'so, you'll be doing merch?' 'When do I get started?' bored as fuck, was all she thought, she needed to be doing something, 'as soon as you like?' 'Good good, I'll go do that' getting boxes like they said to, and displaying merch, 'would you do the same for Anberlin?' 'Sure' their roadie going off, she displayed them artistically, and arranged the shirts so they were ready to grab, doing a stock check, her job in a charity shop a good idea, 'stock check, really?' 'Well, it's important, no?' he smiled, 'yeah, surprised' 'worked in a store' 'useful talent' 'indeed'.

John noticed where she slept, ‘if you wanted to avoid people, worst place’ she laughed, ‘well, I know people need to be there more, and if people stay up, well I don’t sleep travelling’ ‘what made you apply?’ getting up on her bunk, ‘bored, nothing else to do, unemployed?’ ‘Prospects are good though, Gare said you went to Yale?’ ‘Scholarship indeed’ John smiled, ‘but, it’s more a who you know game in the Ivy League’ pushing down her uni hoodie, he smiled.

'I don't sleep either, but that's what booze is for?' 'I thought you'd be tired after shows like that?' 'Nope, I'm more awake' 'you are fucked up, but who am I to judge?' he smiled, 'who are we all?' 'indeed, as that wise guy once said, to understand is to be understood' he smirked, 'thank you darling' they laughed, talking all evening, annoying people who were watching game of thrones.
-x-

'You don't cry drunk do you? Alex Gaskarth does' he laughed, 'nope, how do you know?' 'that's a good question, I live with a fan girl, I tend to remember embarrassing things about people' 'you're going to be in your element these six weeks' she laughed, 'it's been alright, though being a girl with boobs and feelings, scary things, alienates me a little, I think you and Gare are the only people who talk to me, I'm going mad' he smiled, 'oh, thanks' 'no, I just need to talk to another woman, in the near future, I'll join the queue' he laughed, 'I am not scared of boobs, and feelings' she laughed, 'you're a straight musician, I surely hope not' he smiled, 'good points' they giggled.

Setting up the stall, she looked at the stock check from the previous night, and put a piece of paper down to register each sale, ‘you guys heard of computers? Have they made it to the other side of Phoenix?’ she complained, Jared laughed, ‘what’s up?’ ‘All this writing, my god’ he laughed, ‘all that using of pens, is terrible’ she smiled, ‘stock check would be easier with an excel spreadsheet’ he smiled too, ‘then use your own?’ ‘I’ve been here doing this nine days, that’s nine days of data!’ ‘I think you’re a little OCD’ ‘you sound like my therapist’ she smirked, ‘I like your style’.

'Can you play anything?' 'violin badly' he laughed, 'to be fair, you can play everything badly' she smiled, 'so I can play everything, unskilled' John smiled, 'true' picking her legs up and putting them on his lap, 'girl you look like you need a massage?' 'I just inputted your whole stock on my computer, sales for the last ten dates, yeah, I do' 'come here' she turned round, 'are you not wearing a bra?' 'strapless' 'brave' 'nothing to put in it' 'not true, it's a handful' she laughed, 'thanks, but I'm a little against the Male Gaze, but I'm not breaking out the sociology on you' he laughed, 'I do apologise, you are more highly educated than I am' 'we're just as an intelligent though, you more so, you've lived longer, ahh that's good' he smiled.

'No boys entered the competition' 'like I said to Gare, that surprises you?' she laughed, 'I don't mind if you catch me naked' John winked, 'chance would be a fine thing' John laughed, 'I'll be more obvious' she laughed, 'you do that' 'how did you two become friends?' 'philosophy, lots of things really' she nodded, 'he's more interesting than I thought' 'thanks' 'I thought you thought with your penis' 'you could argue that' he smiled, 'something's never change then' she smiled, 'I am no conquest, I'm a full blown out war my friend, some call me 'Nam, some call me the First World War' they laughed, as she headed to Merch, 'I want to be the first world war' John grinned, 'feels like 'Nam' he laughed, heading for the stage.
Humming Paramore to herself, ‘shut up’ ‘fuck off’ Gare smiled, ‘you Ryan Adams wannabe, all you do is sleep! Oh, Sorry’ he laughed, ‘PMS’ she thought about it, ‘I’m going to use that as my excuse, even though I don’t believe that’s a thing’ he laughed, ‘ok, I think you make two good points, but you know Ryan Adams is!’ Lucy looked at him, ‘I’m sorry, from which level are you patronising me from?’ she smirked, ‘god, I need sleep’ he smiled, ‘I think you need a hug, come on’ Gare hugged her, ‘better’ ‘tighter’ hugging him back, ‘that’s good’ he smiled, ‘just relax, I think you’re trying too hard, you’re computer at the ready, you won a competition, but you act like you’re paid’ ‘I just want you to have a good tour’ she smiled, ‘I know, but I think you’re feeling the pressure’ ‘ok’ ‘good’.
-x-

'You found female company?' 'yeah, it's fine, I go out and talk to them, especially the first ones arriving, chat a little, buy them hot chocolate' John laughed, 'good, we're 16 in now' 'I know' she smiled, 'I'm going to miss this, I know that sounds mad, but I've liked it' 'could work for us?' 'I don't know, I don't think I'd fit in' 'you fit in' 'I never fit in anywhere' 'not even at Yale?' 'there were 5 people on scholarships, and the other 4 were well off, it's based on grades not where you live' she shrugged, 'I didn't buy my GPA, like some did, but that's social and cultural capital' she shrugged, he smiled, 'I like listening to you' she laughed, 'I seem to be always complaining' he laughed, 'you don't, I think you're alone, your brain needs to be pulled around a little, you need to get out of your head'.

'When's bus call?' 'Hmm?' 'I want to go out, drink a few things that are bad for my liver, when's bus call?' 'About 1:30?' she nodded, 'good' John looked up, ‘you’re going out?' 'I know around here quite well, I'll have a hour after merch, so if I'm quick, I can shake it out a little' he smiled, 'I wish I could come with you' 'I would avoid that' he nodded, 'how about, you stay on the bus, I buy you alcohol and we dance on the bus' she laughed, 'fine with me, I just need to lose it a little' he smiled, 'fine, we will' he smiled.

Lucy did everything on the computer, selling shirts and merch, ‘thanks for your money, see you again!’ recognising a few who had come to a few shows, and going through the line, Max waving alcohol at her and putting her thumb up, going through the queue, she packed up and checked the sales and stock and back to the bus, John pulled her in the lounge, the others sleeping already, Ever Enough playing, she rested on John’s chest, swaying with him, ‘you ok?’ ‘yeah, just fine’ cupping her cheeks, ‘Lucy’ ‘hmm?’ ‘I’m going to kiss you’ ‘you shouldn’t warn a girl you’re going to kiss them’ he smiled clashing lips with hers, pulling her close.

John held her on her bunk, ‘why do you even like me so much?’ ‘cos you ask why I like you so much?’ she chuckled, ‘such a cheeseball’ resting a hand on his abs, ‘maybe if we can’t sleep, we can sleep together in combination’ she smiled, ‘maybe’ locking fingers, ‘just know you’re perfect for me’ ‘anyone with boobs and locked in a bus-’ ‘you know that’s not true’ he looked at her, ‘oh, that look you’re given me, says maybe not’ he laughed, ‘good!’ they giggled, resting on his chest, he played with her hair, ‘sleep babe’ she smiled, ‘I’ll have to stop my heart racing and yours’ ‘I was scared, I think it might have been a surprise’ ‘it was’.
-x-

'Last week' 'mehh, I think you should go play beanbags as the prank during Anberlin's set, do you do those?' he smiled, 'no, you've seen All Time Low too many times' 'fuck you, Pierce The Veil played beer pong' John laughed, 'I've been pranked by All Time Low' she laughed, 'what did they do?' clothes on the roof' she smiled, 'that's disappointing, on level of prank, you know, I expect better' he laughed, 'are they your favourite band?' 'sort of, I don't know, I got into you cos of them, and you sort of kicked their ass, cos you toured with them in Europe' he smiled, 'then, I sort of, looked into the music you like?' he smiled, 'and I liked that too' he smiled, 'that's awesome' 'I thought it was a little creepy' he laughed, 'I love you' she smiled, 'I love you too' he grinned.

The final show was in Orlando, then a drive back, ‘driving back’ John smiled, ‘do you need to be home quick?’ ‘Nope, Europe not until the 11th?’ ‘Hmm, do you want to take a road trip home?’ tracing his tattoo through his shirt, ‘oh?’ ‘I could rent a car from my savings, I think’ he smiled, ‘we’ll share it’ he smiled, ‘and we’ll get it back to Arizona?’ ‘I like this idea, where do we sleep?’ ‘find some cheap motels, be fine’ he smiled, ‘hmm, you make it sound irresistible’ ‘good’ he laughed, ‘maybe, I can see a little more for you’ she smirked, he grinned, ‘Lucy?’ ‘Hmm?’ ‘It’s on, darling’ she grinned back, putting her hair up, ‘sounds good to me’.

'Lucy, I won't miss you singing Taylor Swift' she smiled, 'we're happy, free confused and lonely at the same time' they laughed, 'I am 21 though' giggling, 'I won't miss you making us play pranks' 'I thoughts that's what bands did, what's wrong with you?' they laughed, 'but, we would like you to come with us again, because for someone who just won a competition' 'and, we've had competition people before' 'but we want to make you part of our crew' passing her a crew shirt, 'wow, thank you, I just thought that was what I had to do, imagine what I'll be like when I'm paid' John laughed, 'you're amazing'.

John get the car, throwing her case in the back with his, ‘so, get to know one another?’ he smiled, ‘exactly’ he laughed, putting on Tom Petty and heading home.
-x-
6 months later:-

'That tour was ridiculous' 'you should see the next one' 'All Time Low!' she grinned, 'honestly you chased their management down until they agreed' 'Flyzik is a legend, I want to learn from the master' 'Max is good you know?' 'I know, I have learnt a lot, but-' 'he hates fans?' 'I was going to pretend to hate them?' 'good luck' they laughed, 'I don't know, it's a small tour of England, it's all good' he smiled, 'and and some of mainland Europe' she nodded, 'I feel bad, but I've always wanted' 'Lucy, darling, it's fine' kissing her softly, 'I know you love this job, we live together' she smiled, 'I feel like a kid, in the Chocolate Factory' he grinned, 'you act like one too' 'think I should grow up?' 'it's why I fell in love with you Lucy' she smiled, 'I'm in love with you too'.

John helped her on the bus, ‘you take a girl?’ Lucy looked up, ‘you didn’t know Evan, this is the girl who made these guys come on tour with us?’ he smiled, ‘is there a problem?’ ‘No, I just never see it’ ‘she’s my apprentice’ Max smiled, ‘and, she’s good when you don’t pay her, and awesome when you do’ she laughed, ‘thanks’ ‘you weren’t paid?’ ‘I won a competition to go on tour with them, and I kind of stuck’ ‘you were amazing on that tour, you’re thorough’ she smiled, ‘exactly, hmm, anyway’ ‘it’s cool’ ‘good, just guys’ ‘I’ve heard it all by more ignorant people’ John laughed, ‘sorry’ she smiled ‘it’s fine, you’re well trained’ he laughed, ‘thank you darling’.

'Whoa, damn girl' 'taken' Jack sighed, 'who by?' 'That guy up there?' John waved, 'serious, he tours with his girlfriend?' 'I am a human, it's not about me being his girlfriend, and it’s about being the best person for the job' 'oh, you're sassy' 'just stop Jack. I think you might give her aneurysm' 'why?' 'I really think you need to check your privilege' John smiled, Alex laughed. 'I'm jaded, I've been asked on every tour why I'm here, it's getting a little old' 'really?' 'This is my 4th' 'I'm sorry' 'its ok' 'she's taking it bad cos she loves you' she flicked John the finger, Alex laughed, 'how old are you?' '22' 'study?' 'I finished Yale last year' 'Yale, fuck' Alex smiled, 'I think you got owned' 'privilege huh?' 'Don’t' 'section 8 and proud' she saluted, 'I think, you're not going to win'.

Matt watched her working, ‘she’s really good’ talking to Max, ‘she’s an amazing find’ ‘I can’t believe you found her doing a competition?’ ‘I know we were damned lucky, she’s been looking forward to this tour, to learn from you’ ‘really?’ ‘Hmm’ Max smiled, ‘think I can?’ ‘She likes to talk to other managers about how they work and stuff, give her some time’ ‘I will’.

Matt sat with her talking, she laughed talking about touring, John was a little jealous, Only his girlfriend could fan girl over a tour manager, as she made her way back with a ridiculous smile on her face, ‘Johnny’ she threw her arms round him, ‘I love you’ ‘what’s brought this on’ ‘I wouldn’t be here without you and your stupidly sexy voice’ he grinned, ‘and there was me being jealous of Matt’ she smiled, ‘you have no need to be’ pulling her on his bunk, ‘said I was a natural’ ‘oh, definitely’ snuggling into him, ‘hmm’ he chuckled, ‘you happy?’ ‘If he’s happy now?’ looking at him, he laughed, ‘I must be dreaming’ ‘pinch me?’ John doing so, ‘hey!’ they giggled, falling asleep with her.
-x-
a year later:-
'Australia, is evil' he laughed, 'babe, you're so red' 'want to check where I'm not?' he grinned, 'then I'll massage some after sun in babe, you need to be taken care of' 'I feel sick' 'oh, great' heading for the bathroom, 'you're sun stroked' 'great' 'come on, get in the shower, you need a cold one then I'll massage' she smiled softly, 'thank you Johnny' he smiled, 'anytime baby' kissing her cheek, 'go on, shower now' she nodded, needing her to be well for his plans for her birthday.

John smiled listening to her singing A Rocket to the Moon, texting Nick, ‘Lucy’s singing you again’ Nick laughed, ‘which one?’ ‘Nothing At All’ ‘I think you’re in her good books’ ‘I’ve never been in her bad ones, I think’ ‘how the fuck do you do it?’ ‘I don’t know, we just work, I can’t remember us not’ Nick smiled, ‘you still planning to propose?’ ‘on her birthday?’ ‘Can’t wait to see you engaged, I didn’t think it possible sometimes’ ‘thanks!’ he laughed, seeing her come out, ‘all good?’ ‘Indeed’ he smiled, ‘can I have that massage now, be gentle with me?’ ‘I will’ he kissed her softly, pouring it on his hands, ‘remember when we found that motel? On our road trip?’ she smiled, ‘where we first made love?’ ‘indeed’ reminiscing all evening.

'Is it weird I keep a scrapbook of all our tours?' he laughed, 'I think it's cute, to be honest, my personal favourite is the page with All Time Low, where you have that tweet from Alex which says I'm trying to be a feminist' she laughed, 'I remember the moment' he held her in bed, 'for me it's something to look back upon, I don't know what I'd do without you now' 'I don't know what 8123 would do without you after learning all those languages' she smiled, 'all in the call of duty' 'Lucy?' 'Hmm?' 'Will you marry me?' 'I will' John wiped her eyes, 'babe, I don't know what I'd do either, and I'm glad you didn't ask me on my birthday' 'how did you?' 'I assumed cos you have the ring?' on her finger, he smiled, 'me too now' they giggled, making love.
They lived happily.