Making Up.

Fixers.

'Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail' 'that professor is nailing everyone, in an academic sense' laughing a little, 'I can't believe we have six months of this left though' 'I know you don't wanna go home' 'I hate it' 'you still liking the new ADTR album then?' 'I love it, the melodies are so good, the vocals in some of the songs, it's not a hooky album but it doesn't even matter-' 'you should do musical journalism, do a masters here in journalism at the end of your music degree' 'I'll have to find a job and a new apartment and I have nowhere to go' 'Lucy' Cassie smiled, 'I come from Arizona, my family have a loft room and need an au pair, why don't you let me have a word?' 'I love your sisters, but I am no maternal person, I laugh at people falling over, I'm as empathetic as a tree' 'maybe not then' laughing, 'I'll think of something, I have savings, so I can probably pay half like needed anyway' 'good, I think deadline is next week' 'might temp' 'good idea'.

'We have something perfect for you, with your skills and music degree, we'll send you to 8123' 'oh, right, what is that?' 'here's a job description, it's six months, and you need to begin Monday' 'ok, nine to five' 'indeed' 'ok' taking the job and getting ready for Monday, talking to her mirror to gain confidence, she pushed the door open 72 hours later, 'hello, you must be Lucy?' 'I am, yes' 'I'm Tim, I know you're a student in music and that's what we do, so just go to class and come back make it up later' 'oh, thank you' 'we heard you're good' 'I used to do Administration back home for a consultancy and with my degree' 'what's your style' 'I'm a jazz musician, I play saxophone, jazz piano, trumpet, don't worry I'm not all hot air' Tim laughed after figuring out the joke, 'right, I'll show you your desk' 'thanks' 'do you know much?' 'just my brief' 'you need to do research' 'I'd rather not, it makes you judge people listening to lyrics of those you work with' turning on the laptop, 'personal experience' 'victim, I was young and stupid' laughing a little, getting to work.

'What happened, sorry I was too curious' 'I wrote this song called Gives You Hell about my boss, and I was fired after she saw me dedicate it to her, she was hellish, but I realise now you sometimes need to put up with these people' Tim smiled, 'I think I'm ok' 'I assure you it won't happen aain and you bought muffins, I'm a student, you gave me food, you're my new favourite person' he laughed, 'can I hear this song' 'do you have a guitar?' 'hello, give me a minute' passing her a pink one, 'ok' Tim chuckled, 'when you walk my way I hope it gives you hell..' Tim laughed, 'here you go' 'that's awesome' 'it was the first song I ever wrote' 'what was the second' 'Baggage Claim' she smiled, 'I was raised in Tennessee, I was a country kid but then found Jazz bars' he smiled, 'come on, prove you're a worthy employee' sitting on her desk, 'I can't carry on, I've got a lot of troubles of my own..' 'you're good' 'thanks' 'you should listen to some' 'hmm, we'll see, where do you think I should begin?' 'Lydia' 'ok' 'I'll drop their new stuff here'.

'Who are you, who is she?' a tall guy asked, 'this is Lucy our new temp' Lucy smiled, 'hello' picking up a phone call, ending up on google translate and putting the phone to speaker asking for English, 'sorry, I didn't know you were English' 'no problem, can you repeat that, I do think the filipino language is lovely to listen to, sadly can't fully comprehend' John smiled, 'I like her' 'that was well handled, I wish I worked that well under pressure' John nodded, 'yeah' as she begun writing emails, 'Tim' 'yes' 'oh, ermm, do I need to know that person?' Tim laughed as she whispered, 'he can introduce himself' 'ok, good right, I have done the work for the phillipines, this US tour with Lydia' askin some questions, 'I never thought of that' she liked working here already, 'you know if you wanna make music or record it, perk of the job we have a studio' 'oh, well, thank you' 'no problem, i'll let you know class times, I'll give you my number so if you want me to bring coffee' 'fine with me'.

-x-

John smiled seeing her coming in, singing All The Single Ladies, he chuckled, ‘hey?’ ‘oh, hello’ ‘not a big fan of rock and roll’ ‘depends, I come from Tennessee, we practically invented it’ John smiled, ‘Elvis’ ‘well, yes, but I’m a Tom Petty kind of girl, bluesy vibe going on’ he grinned, ‘me too’ ‘I grew up listening to that guy, hell of a guy’ ‘me too, what’s your favourite?’ ‘I know always say Wildflowers, but for me that record is perfection’ he grinned, ‘everyone I know always says Full Moon Fever’ ‘it’s good, Depending On You I think is my favourite on that record, I have some This Century stuff to do, if you mind?’ ‘oh, no sorry’ ‘it’s fine, it’s just emails, what’s your name, I didn’t catch it’ ‘I’m John’ ‘Lucy’ he smiled, ‘so what do you do?’ ‘you don’t know’ ‘no’ ‘oh, right, ermm, I’m in The Maine’ ‘oh, cool what record are you most proud of?’ ‘the next one’ ‘cheeseball’ he laughed, ‘probably Pioneer, this album is good but that one changed everything’ ‘how?’ John explained, ‘do Warner still own your early music?’ ‘they do’ ‘shame’ she nodded, ‘I guess’ ‘you could stop thrifting’ ‘I didn’t’ ‘oh’ Tim laughing on the other side of the paper walls.

Lucy couldn’t sleep thinking about it, calling her mum, ‘Lucy, love, it’s 3am’ ‘I want you to see if you can do something at the firm’ ‘fine, tell me?’ ‘this band I’m working for, admin’ ‘oh, congratulations’ Lucy explained, ‘hmm, I’ll look into it, can you get a copy of the contract’ ‘probably’ ‘fax me it over I’ll have a look at, I’ll have some time over spring break, I’ll check it then’ ‘thank you, you’re a love’ ‘no problem, you better come home if I find anything’ ‘I promise’ ‘awesome, miss you kid, now you’re doing a masters’ ‘I know’ she hated home, but her mum was awesome, ‘get some sleep, you know I’m in court tomorrow’ ‘why are you awake?’ ‘I’m in court tomorrow’ laughing and hanging up getting some sleep feeling like a zombie, ‘is a coffee that big legal?’ ‘I don’t know and don’t care’ Tim smiled, ‘hangover’ ‘imsomnia, thinking at night should be illegal’ John smiled overhearing, ‘I feel you’ ‘thank you’ getting to work, she looked in the filofaxes, ‘whatcha looking for?’ she jumped banging her head, ‘out of curiousity, do you have The Maine’s Warner contract?’ ‘ermm, let me see’ looking through, ‘here, why?’ ‘my mum is a contract lawyer specialising in copyright’ ‘wow’ ‘yeah’.

John smiled, ‘Tim said you could sing’ ‘I’m really busy-’ ‘with what?’ ‘Ben and Jerry-’ ‘is it that time of the month?’ ‘you know how ladies work clearly’ he grinned, ‘I’m sorry’ ‘it’s fine, I wanna curl up in a ball today, can we delay by 48’ ‘no, come on, take some advil, you’ll be fine’ ‘geez, I am not surprised you’re single’ ‘thanks’ ‘no problem’ walking with him, ‘this is Lucy, she’s-’ ‘our admin assistant’ ‘Pat, right’ ‘indeed, Tim was telling me how you use google translate’ ‘thank you’ ‘I was there, it’s funny’ ‘thanks, so why me?’ ‘I thought we could borrow your voice’ ‘oh, ok’ ‘awesome’ ‘but I wanna hear yours first’ ‘ok, do you mind how long it is, cos I think I know a good one I wrote that show my versatility’ John smiled, ‘sure’ ‘may I?’ ‘course’ passing her his guitar crossing her legs, ‘this is called All Too Well’ she smiled, ‘going through a Swifty stage’ laughing, ‘that’s sad’ ‘well, you have to know the bad, to know the excellent’ ‘it’s really well written’ ‘thanks’ ‘casually cruel in the name of being honest, must have been how she felt’ John mumbled, working late.

-x-

Lucy looked up, ‘hello’ ‘you got enough for your masters yet?’ ‘it’s all saved, now I have to save for my rent’ ‘oh, geez’ ‘I have two months but I need one more put away’ ‘you need a flatmate’ ‘I don’t like people’ John laughed, ‘well, I like my own space, I also have bad habits that you would have to love me for to put up with’ ‘like?’ ‘I can’t sleep if I think and so I’ll just stay awake until I figure a solution’ John nodded, ‘I like sweats far too much, I bake in the middle of the night, I am messy in everything but my work, I have clothes everywhere right now, nightmare’ John smiled, ‘I am a mess too, just mentally’ she smiled, ‘no one can make you feel inferior without your consent, so who did you give permission to get in that pretty head of yours?’ John sighed, ‘I think I let her in but I gave her a big ring of keys’ ‘and she never got to the heart shaped box, huh?’ ‘no, no, I couldn’t love her’ ‘the problem is everyone is constantly doing it, but real love is not normal, complete love, is so impossible, there’s always going to be challenges’ John nodded, ‘you’re the only one who gets it’ ‘you sound scared of your own mind’ ‘damn, yes’.

Lucy picked up the phone, ‘oh, mum’ Tim stopped outside, she put the phone down and put it on speaker, ‘well?’ ‘they did a great job at playing into my hands’ ‘ok’ ‘well, they talked about intellectual property’ ‘I remember you explaining this’ talking law, ‘do you have a manager person with you’ ‘Tim is outside, I can get him’ ‘awesome’ calling Tim, ‘my mother’ talking on the phone answering questions, ‘I know you probably don’t have much cash but ive me a couple of months’ ‘ok’ Tim smiled as the call ended, ‘what did you do?’ ‘it was keeping me up at night’ ‘you wanna stop John thriftin’ huh?’ ‘that was horrible’ laughing nervously, ‘you know that’s a huge thing to do’ ‘well, I like working here, and it’s done a lot for me, call it returning the favour’ Tim smiled, ‘you’re a good kid’ ‘thanks’ ‘coffee’ ‘sure’ ‘go get it then’ ‘hmm’ laughing, ‘don’t write a song please?’ laughing, ‘I’m not onna say-’ ‘good idea’.

John smiled, ‘you wanna hang out?’ ‘I think so, you don’t pester me, which is nice’ John nodded, ‘studio?’ ‘I’m in a listening mood today’ ‘I’ll give you a set’ ‘I’ve got my sax in the car, see if we can make something up’ ‘ok’ he grinned retrieving it, ‘so, what can I do for you’ ‘I don’t know, sing me some slow ones’ resting it on her lap, John smiled as she rested her head closing her eyes, ‘John’ ‘hmm?’ ‘would you do something for me?’ ‘sure’ ‘would you be my graduation guest’ he smiled, ‘sure’ ‘thank you, I just don’t wanna choose between my parents’ ‘divorced’ ‘indeed, but it’s a good thing’ ‘good’ ‘I don’t know where to begin?’ ‘what’s Raining In Paris?’ ‘like this’ she smiled putting her saxophone to her lips in the instrumental playing a solo for it, ‘that was awesome’ ‘you think, just made it’ ‘you record that in here with me right now!’ hanging out.

-x-

3 months later:-

'Do you have to stop working here?' 'ask Tim but he's not mentioned anything' 'I'm gutted, hang on' Pat standing up, 'can Lucy stay?' 'I told you you would get attached! No offence Lucy but we have no cash to keep you on longer' 'I know, I've done the books, it's a tight ship it's ok' Pat smiled, 'but I like her' 'I'll come in and volunteer at the weekends, but I have a receptionist job at a school in Tempe from Monday, maternity leave' 'but you are so fucking talented why would we quit that, did you hear her at the show?' Tim smiled, 'of course I did, you're amazing and I'd love to keep you, but I'd need to fire someone' 'it's cool Pat, I might take on tuition, I'm a grade eight' 'she supported us when the local support didn't turn up, that's the kind of girl we need' 'I can't Pat' 'fine' 'but if we ever need anyone again' 'thank you' 'no problem, and you're always welcome to use the studio and visit, you must' 'thank you'.

'I hate that you're leaving' John muttered, 'you're one of my best friends, I hate that' 'well, I'm ten minutes from your house' 'that's true at the school, you better be over a lot, I wanna lend you shirts and loan you blankets more' 'I promise you will' he smiled, 'good, Lucy-' 'hmm?' looking at him, 'I don't wanna loan you blankets, fuck blankets, I wanna share them with you, I wanna hold you, I wanna breath in your perfume, I wanna wake up next to you, your red hair a tangle on our pillows' she wiped her eyes, 'I'm in love with you' 'I'm in love with you too' John hugged her tightly, 'I was gonna tell you at graduation but I can't bare it any longer' 'I don't care, just knowing you feel the same is enough' sniffling, he was crying too, 'you took my keys and got to the old box' he murmured, Lucy smiled, 'I've never been so glad I didn't know what I was doing' the guys knocked, 'ermm?' 'sorry' 'you ok?' 'sure, I have something for you before I go'.

'Fuck' John murmured, 'my mum works in contract law and so yeah, she worked on it, last week Warner settled with this' 'all our music' 'everything is yours' Lucy smiled, 'and, Lucy's my girlfriend' John grinned, Jared smiled, 'finally' 'if you don't mind' 'nope, I'm good with that' John wrapping an arm round her waist and heading to his, 'do you, do you want to-' Lucy kissed him deeply, 'I want you to pin me to the walls' John grinned, 'fine with me' pulling her dress off, 'I love you' 'I love you' pushing down clothing, sliding into her kissing her neck heading for the bed making love all night, John held her tight, 'I love you so much' kissing her hair, she smiled tracin his tattoos, 'I haven't got much sleep since I fell for you, would you mind' John grinned, 'neither have I' restin her head on his chest, 'thank you for feeling the same' 'baby, thank you'.

'Why don't you move in?' she giggled, 'really?' 'I want you waiting for me' 'I'll be here' John smiled, 'good, I can't wait any more' kissing her softly, 'you were really good last night, I don't think I've been that loud before' she blushed, he grinned, 'well I have to please you for the rest of my life, make my family with you if you mind' 'not at all' John grinned, 'I need to satisfy you' 'was I ok?' 'amazing, I think we're made for one another' 'me too'.

-x-

2 years later:-

John smiled wrapping his arms round her, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ ‘happy anniversary’ ‘aww, you remembered’ ‘you never forget anything that important’ ‘I was being sarcastic, thank you, happy anniversary’ Lucy smiled, John kissed her neck, ‘I love you so much still you have no idea, you make me better everyday, I can’t explain’ ‘I’m so glad, you’re my best friend’ John smiled kissing her falling on the sofa, she giggled, ‘do you think it’s time we got married?’ ‘I’d love to marry you’ caressing his cheek, ‘you mind if we make it small just people we care about?’ John nodded, ‘fine with me’ ‘good, I just want to be pretty but simple’ John nodded, ‘I understand’ ‘good’ ‘wear that white vintae dress and those heels’ ‘good idea, please don’t wear a bolo’ John chuckled, ‘I promise, I’m not a bolo man’ ‘I know, double checkin” he grinned, ‘I can’t wait’ ‘well, seeing as we want a small thing, want to go book the registry?’ ‘sure’ he grinned, ‘maybe in 4 weeks?’ ‘sounds good to me’.

John held her hands, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ standing at the altar, ‘not a church?’ ‘I’d feel bad, I’m not really a believer’ ‘same, I never thought, but if you’re happy’ ‘I am very happy’ John smiled taking their vows, ‘I now pronounce you husband and wife’ John kissing her grabbin her up in his arms, ‘I hope you can see past my challenges forever’ John smiled, ‘I think your perfections outweigh your imperfections’ ‘mutual’ kissing again, ‘I never wanna spend a day without you, not needing to’ ‘well, I like helping you with your passion’ ‘you are my passion’ he grinned, she blushed, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ ‘reception’ ‘I booked the restaurant we had our first dinner date in?’ ‘that’s cute’ ‘our honeymoon?’ ‘I got a tiki hut in Hawaii on Waikiki beach’ ‘that’s stunning’ ‘I thought you could teach me to surf finally’ John grinned, ‘love to’.

John laughed, ‘shut up’ she smirked, ‘that’s why I love you, babe, you always laugh at yourself’ ‘thanks, but I also hate failure’ ‘oh, I know’ trying again, she was standing on the board, John grinned then fell off, Lucy laughed joining him, ‘I think that’s enough today’ heading up back up the beach, ‘hey sweetheart, wanna let me how to ride something’ ‘I have a board to ride already’ ‘that’s my wife, back the fuck up’ Lucy chuckled as he grabbed her hand, ‘already have a board to ride’ ‘it’s a good board, real supple’ John picked her up and put her in bed, ‘you are all mine, not some long haired-’ kissing her deeply, ‘I need to get you jealous more often’ ‘no, baby, you don’t’ ‘hmm’.

they lived happily.